Emmys' Low Ratings

Closed Thread
Old 09-18-2018, 03:56 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,319 Times in 2,056 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapscallion St Croix View Post
Most of us are not star struck.
Neither am I. Just realistic. If you are up against a strong bully you need someone stronger beside you.
Old 09-18-2018, 08:03 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VillageIdiots View Post
People are wising up and are tired of seeing smarter than everyone else celebs taking advantage of opportunities to get in front of a camera and spread their political agenda. I don't care which side you are on, accept your award, thank the proper people and go back to your seat. We can blame it on other viewing options if we want, but I know I'm at least one that does not watch any of those mentioned award shows any longer, and I suspect I am not alone.
Old 09-18-2018, 08:50 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VillageIdiots View Post
People are wising up and are tired of seeing smarter than everyone else celebs taking advantage of opportunities to get in front of a camera and spread their political agenda. I don't care which side you are on, accept your award, thank the proper people and go back to your seat. We can blame it on other viewing options if we want, but I know I'm at least one that does not watch any of those mentioned award shows any longer, and I suspect I am not alone.
Ditto! They need to do the acting and leave their political agenda out of the mix. I’m happy to see the ratings falling.
Old 09-19-2018, 08:24 AM
Gold member

I've never heard of most of them; there are many, many other shows with "celebrities" awarding themselves grandiose awards that I don't care about (i.e., Academy Awards, Golden Globes, Peoples Choice, SAG, Critics Choice, Grammy's, and on and on); the vast majority of them lean way left in their political views, don't tolerate different views from within their community, and like to slam me (a middle American) for mine; and the "comedy" is seldom funny. Hopefully the awards shows continue on their severe decline.
Old 09-19-2018, 09:33 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,480 Times in 713 Posts

What I saw of the Emmys was not much poltical stuff but a ton of lameness. Worst I ever saw.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
Old 09-19-2018, 09:51 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-Town View Post
What I saw of the Emmys was not much poltical stuff but a ton of lameness. Worst I ever saw.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
Some of the Saturday Night Live material of the past few years has not been all that funny. And both hosts of the Emmys this year are from SNL.

Still believe that celebrities can play a huge role in changing attitudes and the like in communities about many topics. It is usually through stories they tell. True or not.
Old 09-19-2018, 10:44 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taltarzac725 View Post
Some of the Saturday Night Live material of the past few years has not been all that funny. And both hosts of the Emmys this year are from SNL.

Still believe that celebrities can play a huge role in changing attitudes and the like in communities about many topics. It is usually through stories they tell. True or not.
Maybe.

The ratings drop was too much drama that wasn't in any performed script. Too many opinions that didn't coincide with about half this countries population. Ratings don't lie. Only half the country enjoy the public service announcements. PLAY TO THE HOUSE...……..
Old 09-19-2018, 10:54 AM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,624 Times in 1,765 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taltarzac725 View Post

Many celebrities have histories of substance abuse, mental issues and "stinking thinking" about which most of us do not care a whit. Simply because they are celebrities they are able gain access to stages from which to pontificate their absurd thoughts and beliefs.

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine

Last edited by manaboutown; 09-19-2018 at 11:30 AM.
Old 09-19-2018, 11:19 AM

The Country Music Awards shows (CMA's or ACM's) consist of mostly musical entertainment with awards mixed in between performances plus some humorous remarks which are usually poking fun at each other rather than hateful remarks about political people or events. Country music has a fan base pretty much limited to its music genre whereas the Emmys are to honor the best of all television genres. The last CMA awards show drew 14+ million viewers whereas last night's Emmys drew 10 million. Why? Read the above comments by TOTV members pointing out the issues with Hollywood elites.
Old 09-20-2018, 07:18 AM
Sage
Location: The Villages and the Northern Neck on the Chesapeake Bay, VA.
Thanked 3,112 Times in 1,344 Posts

Too many hypocrites.
Old 09-20-2018, 02:00 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,317 Times in 871 Posts

The winners are determined by a peer group of voters, not buy the audiences. That may be part of the disconnect.

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 09-20-2018, 10:04 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,939 Times in 2,459 Posts

If lala land would stick to acting and keep their personnel political views to themselves they might regain some audience. But, some big mouths can't keep the propaganda from flowing out there Cazoo. Hollywood about as far from reality as it gets.
Old 09-21-2018, 01:18 AM
Veteran member

I can't believe that most of the comments here are stereotyping the character of celebrities.

Quote:
Many celebrities have histories of substance abuse, mental issues and "stinking thinking" about which most of us do not care a whit. Simply because they are celebrities they are able gain access to stages from which to pontificate their absurd thoughts and beliefs.
Those that I have worked with have proven to be a group of passionate, intelligent, and creative individuals. I have seen that the proportion of celebrities, with issues, as quoted above, are no different than the general US population contains. Yes, even the Villages.

And who put the celebrities there? We did, of course.

Sure they get gillons of dollars for their performances. But they also donate substantial amounts of money and their time to many wonderful charity organizations. Something that most critics overlook.

Robert De Niro: Charity Work & Causes - Look to the Stars

The 20 Most Charitable Celebrities in Hollywood

So, I don't mind a little pontification now and then.

You cannot compare the Oscar, Emmy type of awards to CMA or the Tonys, which have been renewed by CBS till 2025. Video award shows have little entertainment value: An excerpt of a movie or TV show has little overall meaning. Whereas the entertaining Tony musical numbers and CMA songs have traditionally proven steady in viewership.

(The Grammys are something else entirely.)

BTW: Tina Fey's husband, Jeff Richmond, has three Emmys, and a show on Broadway. Looks aren't everything.

Last edited by SFSkol; 09-21-2018 at 04:06 AM. Reason: Sorry, late post, waiting for van to airport.
Old 09-21-2018, 07:50 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,343 Times in 519 Posts

Hell hasn't frozen over yet.
I won't be supporting Hollywood any time soon.
Emmy's or Oscars
Old 09-21-2018, 07:54 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFSkol View Post
I can't believe that most of the comments here are stereotyping the character of celebrities.

Those that I have worked with have proven to be a group of passionate, intelligent, and creative individuals. I have seen that the proportion of celebrities, with issues, as quoted above, are no different than the general US population contains. Yes, even the Villages.

And who put the celebrities there? We did, of course.

Sure they get gillons of dollars for their performances. But they also donate substantial amounts of money and their time to many wonderful charity organizations. Something that most critics overlook.

Robert De Niro: Charity Work & Causes - Look to the Stars

The 20 Most Charitable Celebrities in Hollywood

So, I don't mind a little pontification now and then.

You cannot compare the Oscar, Emmy type of awards to CMA or the Tonys, which have been renewed by CBS till 2025. Video award shows have little entertainment value: An excerpt of a movie or TV show has little overall meaning. Whereas the entertaining Tony musical numbers and CMA songs have traditionally proven steady in viewership.

(The Grammys are something else entirely.)

BTW: Tina Fey's husband, Jeff Richmond, has three Emmys, and a show on Broadway. Looks aren't everything.
I have chatted with various celebrities online via Facebook and you are right that they should not be stereotyped. Each one is different from the next one.
Closed Thread

Tags
viewership, emmys, watching, markets, households

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.