Enough from the crybabies

Closed Thread
Old 12-13-2023, 05:28 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,923 Times in 1,541 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjrjck View Post
Inflation is up about 19 percent over the last 3 years. Nobody is disputing that. Now, it may be only 3.1 percent. Is that a good thing? Remember, that is measuring the price of a "basket of goods" this year compared to the same basket of goods purchased last year. What we know is that the basket of goods is 19% more expensive today than in 2020. In that context, perhaps 3.1 percent inflation is good but in more normal times it is horrendous. The FED wants it down to a more manageable 2 percent. It is currently 55% higher than that. Nothing to cheer about.
Real wages over inflation is UP for many people in the last 2 years. Which is good when you consider that from 1975 to 2021 real wages after inflation went up ZERO, not at all. Can you say outsourcing and union busting??????
Old 12-13-2023, 05:53 PM

Regarding the labor force, I interacted with 5 WalMart employees in Ocala Today. NOT One spoke English. Not one understood what I was looking for, which was a very simple item. None took further steps to assist me.

New Quest was to look for 1 person (in any Department) who spoke English.
I approached 5 more, all in dialog ŵith another employee, that I could HEAR.

It wasn't that they spoke broken English. It was that they held the WalMart job and were speaking Spanish to each other.

We're in dire straits of epic proportions fiscally, politically, religiously, and all institutions- ally. Jump! It's sinking.
Old 12-13-2023, 06:10 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,923 Times in 1,541 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherylncliff View Post
Much has changed since this article was written almost a year ago. Inflation is down to 3;1%. Gas prices are way down. Wages are up, even adjusted for inflation. Stock market is way up. Unemployment is at historic lows. Sadly, corporate profits are at historic highs. Tax rate cuts by republicans have created higher deficits. Reagan voodoo trickle down has been proven wrong over the last 50 years.
It all goes back to tax rates changes for various sections of the economic spectrum from 1975 to today.
Old 12-13-2023, 06:14 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,743 Times in 704 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marmaduke View Post
Regarding the labor force, I interacted with 5 WalMart employees in Ocala Today. NOT One spoke English. Not one understood what I was looking for, which was a very simple item. None took further steps to assist me.

New Quest was to look for 1 person (in any Department) who spoke English.
I approached 5 more, all in dialog ŵith another employee, that I could HEAR.

It wasn't that they spoke broken English. It was that they held the WalMart job and were speaking Spanish to each other.

We're in dire straits of epic proportions fiscally, politically, religiously, and all institutions- ally. Jump! It's sinking.
////

Last edited by photo1902; 12-13-2023 at 06:38 PM.
Old 12-13-2023, 07:06 PM
Sage
Thanked 8,349 Times in 4,344 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdpaq0580 View Post
Yep! Job growth is great and unemployment down. If "the media" you listen to is all gloom and doom, may want to check-in on mainstream media sources once in a while to get a different perspective.
"Job Growth" is simply people going back to work after the Covid lockdowns. The Labor Participation Rate has not improved...

"Inflation is Down"? Compared to what? It's still over 3% on top of the 20% increase over the last 3 years...

Next, you'll tell me gas prices are down... Yeah, down compared to the ridiculous high of the last 2 years, but still much higher than January 2021...

Does the "mainstream media" tell you that?

-Tom Petty
Old 12-13-2023, 07:11 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherylncliff View Post
Much has changed since this article was written almost a year ago. Inflation is down to 3;1%. Gas prices are way down. Wages are up, even adjusted for inflation. Stock market is way up. Unemployment is at historic lows. Sadly, corporate profits are at historic highs. Tax rate cuts by republicans have created higher deficits. Reagan voodoo trickle down has been proven wrong over the last 50 years.
How many times are people going to post this (well debunked) nonsense?

-Tom Petty
Old 12-13-2023, 07:11 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimjamuser View Post
The outlook today is NOT so wonderful for women, blacks, and browns.

-Tom Petty
Old 12-13-2023, 07:13 PM
Sage

Quote:
The future CAN'T be bright for today's youth as long as it costs too much for them to afford an education in College. For most, only the military is a possible way out of poverty.
A college education is quite affordable.

I have ZERO sympathy for those $300K in debt, majoring in "Gender Studies" or "Interpretive Dance"...

-Tom Petty
Old 12-13-2023, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wondering View Post
The only media outlets who are painting a bad outlook are the 'Noise" cable networks - Fox, Newsmax One America, and all the other conspiracy, propaganda outlets. Eggs are back to normal prices, gas is in mid $2 range in many areas of the country. Products that are high in price is due to corporate greed - Look at their record profits. They are trying to make up for lost revenue during the pandemic.
Yep, when have your ever seen food prices go back to their former pre inflation price, LOL
Old 12-13-2023, 08:43 PM

Thanks for pointing the bubble that’s building.
Old 12-13-2023, 10:40 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,773 Times in 1,547 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMintzer View Post
"Job Growth" is simply people going back to work after the Covid lockdowns. The Labor Participation Rate has not improved...

"Inflation is Down"? Compared to what? It's still over 3% on top of the 20% increase over the last 3 years...

Next, you'll tell me gas prices are down... Yeah, down compared to the ridiculous high of the last 2 years, but still much higher than January 2021...

Does the "mainstream media" tell you that?
Not true! 200,000 New Jobs and unemployment down to historic lows.
Inflation is Down
I'm paying less. In the past I've paid over twice current price
And last, Yes, but even FOX was all glowing about how great the economy is. Maybe they actually took a look around and saw what is really going on. Just a thought.
Old 12-13-2023, 10:46 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,773 Times in 1,547 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlR33 View Post
Yep, when have your ever seen food prices go back to their former pre inflation price, LOL
Just recently on some things. Guess it depends on where you shop. And, it is the holidays. Not the most price friendly time of year for some things
Old 12-14-2023, 04:20 AM
Sage
Thanked 7,492 Times in 2,563 Posts

Quote:
The outlook today is NOT so wonderful for women, blacks, and browns.
The outlook today is just as good as it has ever been, maybe better.
Just get out and make it happen.
Sitting on your butt pontificating, complaining and waiting to be given something, will get you exactly what you deserve.
Nothing. Same as it has always been!
Old 12-14-2023, 06:42 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,665 Times in 1,523 Posts

Quote:
Inflation is Down
And last, Yes, but even FOX was all glowing about how great the economy is. Maybe they actually took a look around and saw what is really going on. Just a thought.
I am interested in where you get your information. I reviewed information on the Bureau of Labor Stats and almost everything is twice as high in cost since 2000. Cars cost twice as much. Health care costs twice as much. Tuition is twice as much. Two million more unemployed than in 2000. Of course, if you base your whole concept of "great economy" on the inflated prices in the Stock Market, I guess folks with investments might/might say the economy is good. I guess if you suggest that inflation is down compared to last year, based on the COLA raise we get this year versus last year, maybe someone is misleading you. Last year, due to inflation we received about 8% raise in SS. This year, even though the basis for a raise in SS benefits is supposed to be adjusted by the yearly average in cost of living compared to last year, it was not quite there. We are receiving a 3+% raise, even though the figures suggest that the COLA should be based on 4%. But, everyone likes a raise. If you just compare stats or costs with last year, I guess the view behind rose tinted glasses is just fine. Ask the working stiff is he/she finds their life "rosy." If someone tells you on TV that we are doing great or doing real bad, it's best to check some REAL figures, instead of listening to them tell you that it's raining when in reality, they are peeing on your shoes. I know for a fact that I am paying over a hundred bucks more for a basket of groceries than I paid two years ago. I still check the price for ribeye steaks that cost twice as much as they did two years ago (and usually pass it up for Tues $3.99lb ground chuck specials). Oh, I can afford the increased price of steak, but I just refuse to participate in price gouging.
Doing GREAT? I doubt if the working stiff will agree with you. Yes, being retired is nice and I don't usually complain much, but lets at least be truthful about the situation. Sure, we can live by the saying by Helen Keller ""I cried because I had no shoes until I met a man who had no feet." In my opinion, America is the greatest country in the world. I have spent at least half my life overseas, so I have some basis to compare. But, America will be eaten alive by false prophets if folks don't hold rein on those in power.
Old 12-14-2023, 07:10 AM
Sage
Location: The Villages and the Northern Neck on the Chesapeake Bay, VA.
Thanked 3,135 Times in 1,358 Posts

Quote:
Inflation is Down
My guess you don't do the grocery shopping. You must not remember the gas prices from 2020
Closed Thread

Tags
view, point, opposite, facts, bad

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.