EV Solves Range Problem

Closed Thread
Old 11-18-2023, 11:11 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,095 Times in 374 Posts
Default EV Solves Range Problem

I had a dream that there will be an Electric Vehicle that solves the range of miles problem, lack of charging stations, time of charging etc. The truck will be scheduled for 2025 intro. It will get about 700 miles range without a need for stopping.

It will have its own generator to keep the battery charged. The generator is to be called a milage extender. Of course, generators require power to work. The uniqueness of his concept is that a readily available fuel, gasoline, will be used. It is planned that a small tank of gas will be stored on the vehicle. (Perhaps 27 Gal).

Wouldn't it be great if dreams like this could become reality? Close down the oil fields, no more global warning.

Alas, only a dream. Starts to sound like a complicated hybrid. Hmmm!
Old 11-19-2023, 01:18 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,023 Times in 455 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtdjed View Post

Starts to sound like a Range-Extender Electric Vehicle (REEV).
Old 11-19-2023, 07:10 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,974 Times in 755 Posts

My Toyota 2022 hybrid gets 67 mpg highway on 11.4 gallon tank we get 660 miles on tank b4 we fill up needle not on E. Could probably make it to over 700 miles b4 fill up.
Old 11-19-2023, 07:15 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,682 Times in 1,534 Posts

Interesting. I had a dream the other night about realistic human-powered flight. One of those feather-light glider jobs with cellophane wings. You spend the first three hours on the ground pedaling like mad to charge a small battery, then with a combination of pedal power and battery you have enough oomph to get the thing to a realistic altitude (say 500'), switch to glider mode hopefully in an area with thermals, then pedal like crazy to charge the battery while hopefully the thermals keep you in the sky. Human powered! Of course the human in question would have to be a Lance Armstrong...

On a more realistic note though--what about Stirling engines as a charging backup for your mythical EV? They don't need fossil fuels, merely a heat source to operate, and that can be anything. They've been around for 200 years but they've remained more a curiosity (though they were used to run pumps in mines at one time).
Old 11-19-2023, 07:44 AM
Sage
Location: The Villages and the Northern Neck on the Chesapeake Bay, VA.
Thanked 3,112 Times in 1,344 Posts

Quote:
I had a dream that there will be an Electric Vehicle that solves the range of miles problem, lack of charging stations, time of charging etc. The truck will be scheduled for 2025 intro. It will get about 700 miles range without a need for stopping.

It will have its own generator to keep the battery charged. The generator is to be called a milage extender. Of course, generators require power to work. The uniqueness of his concept is that a readily available fuel, gasoline, will be used. It is planned that a small tank of gas will be stored on the vehicle. (Perhaps 27 Gal).

Wouldn't it be great if dreams like this could become reality? Close down the oil fields, no more global warning.

Such a shame. Closing down the oil fields will not stop global warming. Maybe stopping the controlled burning would help? Maybe more money? Maybe solar panels covering our corn fields? Maybe windmills full of oil over our waters will help, until they leak?
Old 11-19-2023, 08:22 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,347 Times in 735 Posts

Lucky you OP your dream was answered by Toyota with last year's model year!

It's called the Prius Prime version of the Prius. the plug in version. Not only is it electric It's gasoline and it has a generator powered by gasoline to charge the battery. And it's zero to sixty is quite respectable.

And Toyota offers other plug in models including a SUV, which do the same.

Last edited by Toymeister; 11-19-2023 at 08:32 AM.
Old 11-19-2023, 08:42 AM

Quote:
It is a hybrid
It is not complicated
It is reality, not a dream
Old 11-19-2023, 08:55 AM

Quote:

Think of the range you could get if you hauled a small trailer with a couple hundred gallons of gas to keep those batteries charged!
Old 11-19-2023, 08:56 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdOfFive View Post
Interesting. I had a dream the other night about realistic human-powered flight. One of those feather-light glider jobs with cellophane wings. You spend the first three hours on the ground pedaling like mad to charge a small battery, then with a combination of pedal power and battery you have enough oomph to get the thing to a realistic altitude (say 500'), switch to glider mode hopefully in an area with thermals, then pedal like crazy to charge the battery while hopefully the thermals keep you in the sky. Human powered! Of course the human in question would have to be a Lance Armstrong...

On a more realistic note though--what about Stirling engines as a charging backup for your mythical EV? They don't need fossil fuels, merely a heat source to operate, and that can be anything. They've been around for 200 years but they've remained more a curiosity (though they were used to run pumps in mines at one time).
Why not try a giant rubber band?
Old 11-19-2023, 09:23 AM

Quote:

NEWS FLASH
Global Warming does not exist and that’s a fact. Cars going to EV will not change anything at all as the modern cars do not even pollute very much.
Old 11-19-2023, 09:38 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,942 Times in 2,461 Posts

I had dream I could fly. And my villages bushes was money trees. then nightmare set in, my district robbed me with 25% increase maintenance fee and my wings was clipped.
Old 11-19-2023, 10:14 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,310 Times in 824 Posts

I had a dream in northern NY at 0 degrees I could turn the heat on in my electric car. The dream continues that I make it to work before the geeks occupied all the spots at the charging station. We now have a new perk at work. Confidential employees get a reserved charging station spot in lieu of stock options. Non union lower level employees have the option of a 401K matching plan or parking in the high priority charging station parking lot. Unionized employees can surrender their low deductible health insurance for a chance to secure a charging spot via a lottery system.
Old 11-19-2023, 10:15 AM

Maybe not a dream...sounds like the 2025 RAM Ramcharger EV! Also good to know it uses same technology as my 2018 Chevy Volt! The Volt has 400 mile range, 8.9 gal. tank and 50-60 mile all electric range -- perfect car for The Villages, I might add!
Old 11-19-2023, 10:50 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,089 Times in 2,750 Posts

Quote:
I keep having this recurring dream that I’m a scratch golfer. Then I wake up, go golfing, and shoot in the mid 80’s, never anywhere near even par. The moral of the story is anything can happen in a dream, reality or not! Dream on my friend.
Old 11-19-2023, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRcorvette View Post
NEWS FLASH
Global Warming does not exist and that’s a fact.
Thank you for clarifying

I was listening to the 97% of scientists who accept climate change as fact, rather than the 3% in the pay of Big Oil - silly old me!

Looking forward to your future revelation that smoking is good for you
Closed Thread

Tags
range, solves, charging, miles, vehicle

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.