Ever dreamed of learning to fly?

Closed Thread
Old 05-26-2023, 05:26 AM
Default Ever dreamed of learning to fly?

The Villages Florida

EAA Chapter 534 (Leesburg) is hosting a ‘Flying Start’ event this Saturday, May 27. A presentation will be given, starting at 9am to inform what it takes to learn to fly followed by free introductory Eagle flights.

For more info about the flying start program, see link below.

EAA Eagle Flights Program | EAA

To sign up for a flight, see link below.

Flying Start/Eagle Flights - Registration System
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3581.jpg
Views:	882
Size:	20.5 KB
ID:	98623  
Old 05-26-2023, 06:25 AM
Location: Currently live in White Bear Lake, MN/Alhambra Village, FL. Lived in Columbia, SC. From Beacon, NY.

Sounds like a great opportunity. Put this on Nextdoor too for the community to see.
Old 05-26-2023, 06:28 AM

Learn to Fly with the Help of EAA Chapter 534

By

Ted Luebbers

Now is a unique opportunity to find out everything you want to know about what it will take for you to learn to fly.

If you are one of those people walking down the street who must look up toward the sky when you hear an airplane overhead, or maybe you had a pilot’s license once and life got in the way of taking advantage of it. Maybe this was something you always thought about doing and now you have the time and the means to follow through.

The Experimental Aircraft Association Chapter 534 based at the Leesburg International Airport at Leesburg, Florida is going to give you the opportunity to find out what you need to do to learn how to fly.

They will get you off to a” Flying Start”. This will be an informal meeting where you can ask the questions you have about flying and actually take a free flight to experience the thrill of getting into the air in a small single engine aircraft. You will have the opportunity to meet flight instructors, EAA pilots and other people who have always yearned to scratch that aviation itch.

This Flying Start Program will be held on May 27, 2023 at the Leesburg Airport ( KLEE ) at the airport administration building. The number on the building is 8807, Take RT 441 to Leesburg and get off at Wilco Drive, follow the road around to the left and look for the gray building on your left with the flagpole out front. That will be the airport administration building across from Sun Air Aviation.

The meeting will begin at 9 a.m. and last until 12 noon. Bring your questions, friends and family.
Old 05-26-2023, 07:06 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,132 Times in 812 Posts

The Experimental Aircraft Association is a great origination.
I lived near Oshkosh Wisconsin all my life and went to many air shows.
Busiest airplane in the world for that one week.

We'd take our boat on Lake Winnebago sand bar and watch the seaplanes.
Old 05-26-2023, 07:23 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,682 Times in 1,534 Posts

Sounds like a great opportunity. Back in the day (way back in the day) I could rent a 172 for $29.00/hr. wet. Prices have gone up a bit, I imagine.

Ever since I sold my airplane (I learned that a guy could have an airplane, or have a wife, but not both at the same time) I've been thinking of trying ultralight flying. I noticed in the link that ultralight instruction is offered. Maybe I'll check it out.

Thanx for the info.
Old 05-26-2023, 09:36 AM
Soaring Parsley
Thanked 2,220 Times in 752 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdOfFive View Post
Sounds like a great opportunity. Back in the day (way back in the day) I could rent a 172 for $29.00/hr. wet. Prices have gone up a bit, I imagine.

Ever since I sold my airplane (I learned that a guy could have an airplane, or have a wife, but not both at the same time) I've been thinking of trying ultralight flying. I noticed in the link that ultralight instruction is offered. Maybe I'll check it out.

Thanx for the info.

ThirdOfFive,

I don’t know if it’s still available at Leesburg, but several years ago, Mr. Boomer went over there and took seaplane instruction and got a seaplane rating……..

We don’t have a seaplane, but he sure had fun landing on those lakes.

He looks forward to that annual pilgrimage to Oshkosh with his flying buddies. He has been the one doing the landing at Oshkosh a few times. (I have watched their flight from home on FlightAware, but seeing Oshkosh while all those planes are coming in is like looking at a swarm of bees. Those Oshkosh controllers sure are extraordinary choreographers.)

He thinks ultralights look like fun, too, but he also thinks jumping out of perfectly good airplanes was a good idea — but that was before I met him and was on Uncle Sam’s dime. Although I would never clip his wings, that jumping out stuff is a thing of the past.

Anyway, if the idea of a seaplane rating appeals to you, maybe check to see if Leesburg is still doing that.

Right Seat Boomer
Old 05-26-2023, 03:40 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,018 Times in 1,744 Posts

What kind of plane? Do they offer ground school?
Old 05-27-2023, 05:24 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,167 Times in 439 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdOfFive View Post

Thanx for the info.
My husband had 4 planes, so much for that theory, lol.
Old 05-27-2023, 06:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet View Post
What kind of plane? Do they offer ground school?
Not sure who your comment was for. At the presentation today, we will talk about where you can get ground instruction. Depends on what type of training you are looking to do.

As far as planes. Assuming todays flights? Cessna 172, Rans, bonanza and a few others.

Sun Air trains in Cessna 152 and 172’s.

Inverness has Pipelstrel Alpha motor gliders for those that can’t get a medical.
Old 05-27-2023, 06:46 AM
Platinum member
Location: born Urbana,Il lived in Urbana Ohio for 65 years a house in Lake Deaton

For most of my 50 years of flying, I was so fortunate to have flown/owned two aircraft at the same time. A slow plane (Eipper MX, Pietenpol, J-3 Cub) to fly around the local area and then a fast plane (1959 Cessna 182, 1976 Cessna 210) to take people to dinner and for long trips. Plus have owned several other aircraft for shorter periods of time. I have flown into EAA Oshkosh over 20 times and driven to it 10 or more times from Ohio where I lived.

Sold my J-3 Cub two years ago to retire from flying. I thought that I would never return to Oshkosh but plan to sell my vintage aviation maps one more time at the show this year with the help of my grandsons. Flying was a large part of my life with memories that will never be forgotten. So, I would encourage those interested in learning to fly to give it a try.

I will be located in building D 4100 at Oshkosh using the name of VintageAirMaps.

Have fun flying and or thinking about flying.
Old 05-27-2023, 06:55 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,682 Times in 1,534 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jebartle View Post
My husband had 4 planes, so much for that theory, lol.
It was an attention thing. Lady I was dating sort of saw my airplane as a rival: claimed I paid more attention to my airplane than I did to her. I recall my answer; "Why not? When I do something with the airplane I know what kind of reaction I'm going to get".

Probably not the wisest of answers, come to think of it...
Old 05-27-2023, 06:58 AM

Use a good quality computer flight simulator. Much safer when you crash and you get the same thrill.
Old 05-27-2023, 08:32 AM
Sage
Thanked 14,047 Times in 5,336 Posts

About 20 years ago decided it would be interesting to fly around Roanoke where we were living at the time.

No interest in takeoff or landing just wanted to experience flying.

A good friend was an executive pilot and in exchange for paying for rental and fuel would take me up for an hour or so.

We make a date and day or so before calls me icy condition forecast for our date so we cancel.

New date a month later. Wife calls me the day before and he has just suffered a mild heart attack. License automatically suspended and put this in abeyance.

A year later has his license back and a new date is set, day before he is admitted to the hospital with heart attack like symptoms.

Thankfully he recovered but decided the good Lord above is telling me not something I should be doing.
Old 05-27-2023, 03:41 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,317 Times in 871 Posts

So how many are going to Oshkosh this year? If enough, maybe a Villages get together?

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 05-27-2023, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoMar View Post
So how many are going to Oshkosh this year? If enough, maybe a Villages get together?
I go every year, wouldn’t miss it for the world. We have a large group that camps under wing in vintage near the ultralight red barn. Something like 25 planes, 3 or 4 rows. Only year we missed was 2020, but we all still got together for No-Oshkosh down at a buddies field (11LL) and still had a blast.
Closed Thread

Tags
fly, link, learn, free, introductory

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.