Everglades Parking lot Filled with trucks

Closed Thread
Old 01-14-2021, 12:54 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,298 Times in 491 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by John41 View Post
It would be extremely selfish of these workers to force senior citizens on FIXED incomes to pay INCREASED taxes. And these increased taxes might keep people from buying as The Villages becomes unaffordable. Then these workers would lose their jobs.

Don't conservative economists say "Cut taxes to spur growth?"
What possible notion gave you the idea that taxes would stay fixed forever?? Not in this universe for sure. FACT: Sumter residents have had below average increases for years compared to Marion and Lake. Now reality is catching up and you want to destroy all of TV just because you're unhappy??

Nobody LIKES taxes but they are a necessary evil to get the civilization we enjoy.
Old 01-14-2021, 01:06 PM

Let me get this straight...??? TWO long TDS pages of commentary, ALL one-sided, about what a 'tax increase' will do to the county and growth(development)??? Where were all those commentaries when the 25% tax increase was jammed thru??? And, then, the parking lot was PRE-filled with company trucks(all contractors that work on new homes)??? Yeah...nothing to see here!
Old 01-14-2021, 01:15 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,389 Times in 2,067 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aloha1 View Post
What possible notion gave you the idea that taxes would stay fixed forever?? Not in this universe for sure. FACT: Sumter residents have had below average increases for years compared to Marion and Lake. Now reality is catching up and you want to destroy all of TV just because you're unhappy??

Nobody LIKES taxes but they are a necessary evil to get the civilization we enjoy.
Just how will this issue, regardless of how it turns out, "destroy all of TV?" Do I need additional insurance on my house to protect against this destruction? Do I need to find an alternative route out of my neighborhood to avoid the road that will be destroyed? Will I need to find a third Publix or a second Winn-Dixie in case the three stores I shop at are destroyed?

Just what will be the destruction in TV if developers (not THE Developer, but all developers) pay a larger portion of the impact fee?

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough
Old 01-14-2021, 02:43 PM
Sage
Thanked 14,047 Times in 5,336 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by EviesGP View Post
Let me get this straight...??? TWO long TDS pages of commentary, ALL one-sided, about what a 'tax increase' will do to the county and growth(development)??? Where were all those commentaries when the 25% tax increase was jammed thru??? And, then, the parking lot was PRE-filled with company trucks(all contractors that work on new homes)??? Yeah...nothing to see here!
When the developer owns the paper he gets to dictate what is in it.

Silly me has this idea that they should print news in news column and their opinion in the editorial page.

But when their is no editorial page guess they feel it is ok to mix the two.
Old 01-14-2021, 03:23 PM
Default Why Wait Until July

We can go back and forth on this issue for months. The three Commissioners ran on a platform of rolling back the 25% tax increase all homeowners received in 2019. That increase applies to every year that you own that home and/or any other home you purchase in TV. Remember, impact fees are a one time charge; the tax increase is paid EVERY year. The newspaper articles are spreading fear that the increase in impact fees along with a roll back of the 25% tax increase will be detrimental to Sumter County. Since the developers total increase per home is only a one time charge of $1,458, I don’t believe that the number of homes sold each year will change. And, as all the new homes sold will bring in new tax monies, our taxes should continue to decline annually.

The fear tactics being claimed in the paper are just that. There is no proof that increasing the impact fees will hurt Sumter County. These are assumptions and you know what they say about people who assume!

You can email the EMS team and tell them not to wait. The time is now and they have the ability. The email addresses are;

craig.estep@sumtercountyfl.gov
oren.miller@sumtercountyfl.gov and
gary.search@sumtercountyfl.gov.
Old 01-14-2021, 03:29 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,078 Times in 2,745 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu from NYC View Post
Anyone notice that the developers newspaper aka the Village Sun had about the most one sided article in history against this tax increase.

Guess they do not need an editorial page just make "news articles" tell you how they feel.
I noticed it two days in a row, both times starting on the front page. Not a single mention of the effects on existing residents on a fixed income subsidizing new development impact fees. Extremely one sided arguments.
Old 01-14-2021, 03:31 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,078 Times in 2,745 Posts

Quote:
A rose by any other name is still a rose.
Very true, and you can put lipstick on a pig, but it will still be a pig.
Old 01-14-2021, 03:40 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophcfa View Post
I noticed it two days in a row, both times starting on the front page. Not a single mention of the effects on existing residents on a fixed income subsidizing new development impact fees. Extremely one sided arguments.
And of course they only quoted people who were against the tax increase.

Would imagine when they hire reporters they have to swear allegiance to the developer and all he stands for.
Old 01-14-2021, 10:25 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,212 Times in 351 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrymini View Post
I love voting people in to fix a problem and then for them to become the problem.
I'm sorry. But I laughed out loud when I read this/
Old 01-15-2021, 01:08 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,661 Times in 727 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWGUY View Post
Sorry..... wrong. That rec. center is owned by The Developer not the residents or The District. They PAID $135,000 in property taxes on that bldg. in 2020. As a County resident, I think it's nice they let the County use it. The info. is out there for anyone who wants to get the facts.
Like Sgt. Friday used to say "Just the facts"

Quote:
Originally Posted by richs631 View Post
You may have go info online but let’s use a little common sense. $135,000 in property taxes, I doubt that.
Look it up..... it's public information. I pulled up the the tax bill, it was marked PAID. $134,947.05 I think it was. "A little common sense" as you call it would dictate you look it up before you insinuate I don't have common sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewilson58 View Post
Look up the parcel................the tax bill IS $135k.
Facts are better than a LITTLE common sense.
Thank you..... evidently you know how to look up facts too. Unfortunately a lot of posters don't.
Old 01-15-2021, 01:27 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill14564 View Post
Just how will this issue, regardless of how it turns out, "destroy all of TV?" Do I need additional insurance on my house to protect against this destruction? Do I need to find an alternative route out of my neighborhood to avoid the road that will be destroyed? Will I need to find a third Publix or a second Winn-Dixie in case the three stores I shop at are destroyed?

Just what will be the destruction in TV if developers (not THE Developer, but all developers) pay a larger portion of the impact fee?
How about no new medical complex, no housing for workers which means businesses closing, higher pricing for homes here which means more difficulty selling and potentially buying. And certainly no new stores or restaurants. In other words, stagnation.

Last edited by Aloha1; 01-16-2021 at 04:20 PM.
Old 01-15-2021, 01:32 PM
Sage

Quote:
How about no new medical complex, no housing for workers which means businesses closing, higher pricing for homes here which means more difficulty selling and potentially buying. And certainly no new stores or restaurants. In other work, stagnation.
Or a compromise makes all sides more or less happy and life goes on
Old 01-15-2021, 01:36 PM
Gold member

So, workers, small business owners, medical personnel, and non villages Sumter residents show up and overwhelmingly voice their objections in clear and coherent manner. Yet two of these newbies, with limited or no government experience , pig headedly with blinders firmly affixed, went ahead and ignored all the comments and attempted to ram through their ill thought out tax increase. Wasn't one of their "issues" the lack of listening by the Commission?

Perhaps they should review some old but wise adages like, "The Law of Unintended Consequences", "Be Careful of What You Wish For", or "What Goes Around, Comes Around".
Old 01-15-2021, 01:38 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu from NYC View Post
Or a compromise makes all sides more or less happy and life goes on
I agree, Stu, but it does not appear that is possible with these newbies other than Estep. He at least had the sense to slow down and review. I doubt the other two will even bother to take a step back and rethink because they are agenda driven.
Old 01-15-2021, 05:13 PM
Sage

Quote:
I agree, Stu, but it does not appear that is possible with these newbies other than Estep. He at least had the sense to slow down and review. I doubt the other two will even bother to take a step back and rethink because they are agenda driven.
Patience, I think they will come to a meeting of the minds.

I do not know if the tax increase will drive away all new business but think that if Sumter does not help grow the business the other two counties will.
Closed Thread

Tags
everglades, lot, filled, trucks, parking

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.