Has anyone tried Blue Apron, Peach Dish, or others?

Closed Thread
Old 07-13-2016, 06:30 PM
Soaring Parsley
Thanked 2,220 Times in 752 Posts
Default Has anyone tried Blue Apron, Peach Dish, or others?

Blue Apron? Peach Dish? -- and there are a few more......

I recently heard about these businesses that deliver pre-measured and, they say, fresh ingredients, along with recipes for you to cook at home. It sounds sort of like a private cooking class for those who are bored with going out or just might want to learn something new.

I have been reading their websites and as far as I can tell you can cancel anytime. (I sure hope it's not like trying to break up with the Columbia Record Club was.)

Although it is unlikely to become a way of life for me, I am thinking it might be fun to give this a try. It is not inexpensive but compared to going out it could be a relatively reasonable cost.

Does anyone here have any experience with any of these home-delivery cooking class things?
Old 07-13-2016, 06:49 PM

I tried a week of Blue Apron which they offer free to try their service. I liked two of the three meals. Everything is very fresh and they use some unusual ingredients. There are detailed prep instructions. Be ready to use every bowl in your kitchen as you chop and slice the ingredients. Their website gives you upcoming menus and you can skip any week you would like. I decided not to continue since each week seemed to have at least one meal I wouldn't eat and my husband wouldn't eat any of them. It was a breeze to cancel. If they still offer a week free, give it a try.
Old 07-13-2016, 07:21 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
Blue Apron? Peach Dish? -- and there are a few more......

I recently heard about these businesses that deliver pre-measured and, they say, fresh ingredients, along with recipes for you to cook at home. It sounds sort of like a private cooking class for those who are bored with going out or just might want to learn something new.

I have been reading their websites and as far as I can tell you can cancel anytime. (I sure hope it's not like trying to break up with the Columbia Record Club was.)

Although it is unlikely to become a way of life for me, I am thinking it might be fun to give this a try. It is not inexpensive but compared to going out it could be a relatively reasonable cost.

Does anyone here have any experience with any of these home-delivery cooking class things?
We have tried Plated, Hello Fresh and Blue Apron. BY FAR the best is Hello Fresh. The ingredients come all boxed neatly and the portion sizes for the meals are generous. If you use Groupon, you can usually get 6 meals for 2 people for about $69 total. The dishes are different and really taste yummy. These meals are fresh and come right to your door, saving you time shopping and gas money. The meals are pretty gourmet.

Do not try Plated. They will keep charging your credit card long after you cancel.

If you want to try Hello Fresh and you get your friends to sign up, you can get some pretty good discounts.

Best of luck!

Sent from my SM-N910R4 using Tapatalk
Old 07-14-2016, 01:44 AM
Soaring Eagle member

We tried Hello Fresh using Groupon. Good, interesting flavors. Easy to cancel.
Old 07-14-2016, 06:45 AM

Just tried Hello Fresh. It's pretty easy to find a $40.00 off coupon for your first week, making it 24.00 for 6 meals. It's a little more work then I wanted (peeling and grating vegetables), but the selections were good and the service was great. I did cancel and it was easy to do so. The meats I got in the meals were high quality and organic.
Old 07-14-2016, 07:56 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

It's a good deal if you can't get to the grocery, but love to cook
Old 10-25-2016, 01:03 PM

We are on out third box of meals with Blue Apron and are very happy with the service. While the cost may seem a little high, many of the dishes have unusual ingredients that you would not normally cook with, and would be hard to find locally. These are restaurant quality meals, and do require time and effort to cook. However, we enjoy cooking and it is a lot of fun for us.

Pros: No grocery shopping for ingredients. Zero wasted food. Portions sizes are modest, so no overeating. No leftovers. High quality ingredients and detailed instructions, particularly for some of the unusual ingredients.
Cons: This is not convenience food and often takes more time to prepare than they suggest. You could buy ingredients for less and make yourself (the recipes are on their website), but you would end up with enough for several meals of the same dish, and probably have food go bad before you could use it.

The have a referral program that allows me to send a free box ($60) to try. You have to sign up to claim the free box, but you can easily skip the first paid meal and cancel if you decide you don't like it. Meals are priced at $10 per serving. If you want a free box, I have 5 to give. Just pm me your name and email and I'll request one for you. We don't appear to get any benefit from these referrals (we have had 2 friends claim them so far).
Old 10-25-2016, 07:04 PM

Blue Apron ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Old 10-27-2016, 03:34 PM
Location: Too many to mention, then Loveland, OH; Poinciana then Fernandina!

We've been doing Blue Apron for about 6 weeks now and also are quite pleased with it. The ingredients have never failed to be fresh, and we have loved 15 out of the 18 meals we've cooked. The meals DO require a LOT of chopping/prep time but we do that together ❤️ The only problem so far - 3 meals a week is a bit more than we want to do, we'd be happier with 2 meals/week but the rules don't currently allow that. It's really worth a shot!!

Besides the recipe cards packed with the food the recipes are also shown online, with tips from subscribers that have really been invaluable - read the tips before you make the recipe for suggestions as to timing, seasoning (it's all included but tastes vary) etc.
"Dogs come into our lives to teach us about love, they depart to teach us about loss. A new dog never replaces an old dog; it merely expands the heart. If you have loved many dogs your heart is very big " Erica Jong
Old 10-27-2016, 03:44 PM

We tried Blue Apron for a few weeks. Food was fresh with interesting meals. It was just to much work preparing the meals so I'm back to meat loaf and mashed potatoes.
Old 10-27-2016, 08:54 PM
Sage

Stay away from Green Chef. Very bad experience. Plus they charged my credit card for 3 meals for $90 food over a week ahead of time and I had already cancelled and they wouldn't remove the charge even though I received no food. They don't answer their phone for you to cancel them.

My favorite is Home Chef. The food was very good.
Old 10-28-2016, 06:57 AM
Gold member

A friend tried Blue Apron and really likes it.
Old 01-09-2017, 02:02 PM

My wife and I were recently featured in The Daily Sun Lifestyle section about our experience with Blue Apron.

We recently tried Home Chef for a comparison. After only two meals, it looks like Blue Apron is the better option. Home Chef offers more choices in meals, and more flexibility in ordering extra meals, or meals for more than 2 people. However, I feel Blue Apron offers a more unique experience with recipes that you would be unlikely to make on your own. Home Chef does have more familiar foods. Also, Home Chef has more pre-packaged ingredients, like mayo packets, salad dressing packets, etc.

If anybody is interested in trying Blue Apron, I still have 5 referrals good for one free meal box ($60 value). I don't benefit from this referral.

I also have Home Chef referrals, but I get $30 and you get $30 off your first order.

pm me if you want to try one.
Old 01-09-2017, 03:10 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVRoadie View Post
My wife and I were recently featured in The Daily Sun Lifestyle section about our experience with Blue Apron.

We recently tried Home Chef for a comparison. After only two meals, it looks like Blue Apron is the better option. Home Chef offers more choices in meals, and more flexibility in ordering extra meals, or meals for more than 2 people. However, I feel Blue Apron offers a more unique experience with recipes that you would be unlikely to make on your own. Home Chef does have more familiar foods. Also, Home Chef has more pre-packaged ingredients, like mayo packets, salad dressing packets, etc.

If anybody is interested in trying Blue Apron, I still have 5 referrals good for one free meal box ($60 value). I don't benefit from this referral.

I also have Home Chef referrals, but I get $30 and you get $30 off your first order.

pm me if you want to try one.
That is the one reason I recommended Home Chef is because it has familiar foods. Some of the other companies step too far outside the box for my taste buds but it is easy to browse the menus on them to see what works for you.
Closed Thread

Tags
class, blue, apron, dish, cooking

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.