The FBI recommends rebooting routers due to malware

Closed Thread
Old 05-27-2018, 10:06 PM
Veteran member
Default The FBI recommends rebooting routers due to malware

The FBI recommends any owner of small office and home office routers power cycle (reboot) the devices. Foreign cyber actors have compromised hundreds of thousands of home and office routers and other networked devices worldwide. The actors used VPNFilter malware to target small office and home office routers. The malware is able to perform multiple functions, including possible information collection, device exploitation, and blocking network traffic.

F.B.I.’s Urgent Request: Reboot Your Router to Stop Russia-Linked Malware

Internet Crime Complaint Center (IC3) | Foreign Cyber Actors Target Home and Office Routers and Networked Devices Worldwide
Old 05-27-2018, 10:32 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Thanks for the heads up!
Old 05-28-2018, 08:24 AM
Sage

Don't overlook these steps:
Users are also advised to upgrade the devices' firmware and to select a new secure password. If any remote-management settings are in place, the F.B.I. suggests disabling them.
Old 05-28-2018, 09:08 AM
Sage

I rebooted everything. I looked up my router and I'm looking at the settings on a different tab. I see the firmware version but I can't find where I can can check to see if there is a newer version or a link that downloads the latest version. Any ideas?
Old 05-28-2018, 10:00 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomwed View Post
I rebooted everything. I looked up my router and I'm looking at the settings on a different tab. I see the firmware version but I can't find where I can can check to see if there is a newer version or a link that downloads the latest version. Any ideas?
If you own it, either click on Help or go the the manufacturer's website to find the user guide. If you rent it, call your Internet provider.
Old 05-28-2018, 10:14 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by champion6 View Post
If you own it, either click on Help or go the the manufacturer's website to find the user guide. If you rent it, call your Internet provider.
I found the manual online. I logged into the router. The manual says when the router opens it's supposed to prompt me if I want to download the latest firmware. It does not. I'm hoping that it doesn't ask because it is the latest firmware.
Old 05-30-2018, 09:14 AM
Veteran member

Why havent the ISP's sent out a warning? I checked the Comcast site and nothing was mentioned
Old 05-30-2018, 10:37 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill32 View Post
Why havent the ISP's sent out a warning? I checked the Comcast site and nothing was mentioned
just a guess,

If you say nothing their work load would remain the same.

If you tell your customers to update your software and let us know if anything goes wrong there will be a lot of calls, anger and confusion.
Old 05-30-2018, 12:25 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,742 Times in 703 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill32 View Post
The routers (Gateway) firmware is automatically updated. For the vast majority of us, there is no need to worry about firmware updates. That is Xfinity customers, and similar providers.
Old 05-30-2018, 08:39 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,156 Times in 2,250 Posts

While I am not defending Comcast, they have the capability to reboot your modem remotely, so it is possible that they are rebooting these from their command...
I manually rebooted mine just in case.
BTW, the reason the FBI want you to reboot is the malware goes to a specific site to get further instructions, and the FBI has taken over control of this site, so when you reboot your will not be downloading the malware instructions.
Old 05-30-2018, 08:53 PM
Sage

I forgot most people are renting their modems and routers. Having your firmware refreshed remotely, helping to keep you protected is one of the perks. I'm no expert so it's good to read and learn as much as you can from many sources.
Old 05-31-2018, 01:50 PM

If you have Comcast (Xfinity), you likely have a modem made by Arris (not on the list below). I bought my own modem for Comcast but it is an Arris brand as well.

The following is a notice that my company sent out to all employees today:

Recently the FBI became aware of a new malware attack called, VPNFilter, that has infected over 500,000 routers and network devices according to researchers from Cisco’s Talos Intelligence Group. As of May 23rd, 2018, Symantec has identified that VPNFilter is capable of infiltrating systems through the following routers:
• Linksys E1200
• Linksys E2500
• Linksys WRVS4400N
• Mikrotik RouterOS for Cloud Core Routers: Versions 1016, 1036, and 1072
• Netgear DGN2200
• Netgear R6400
• Netgear R7000
• Netgear R8000
• Netgear WNR1000
• Netgear WNR2000
• QNAP TS251
• QNAP TS439 Pro
• Other QNAP NAS devices running QTS software
• TP-Link R600VPN

VPNFilter has been able to spread through networks by targeting default credentials or known old exploitable vulnerabilities and has three identified stages to its operation.
Stage 1: The malware is installed and is activated to sustain a persistent presence on the infected device and will contact the command and control server to download additional modules
Stage 2: Executes the main payload and can collect files, execute commands, extract files, and modify device management. With the device management ability, the infected device can be “bricked” or render the infected device useless, if the command is received from attackers.
Stage 3: Is an optional stage that execute packet sniffers that spy on traffic routed through the device including credentials, credit card data, as well as monitoring of MODbus SCADA protocols with a variation that allows communication using Tor.

What Do I Need to Do?
All are being advised to reboot their routers immediately so that the Stage 2 and Stage 3 components of VPNFilter will be temporarily removed and prevent the damaging components of the malware from operating. If your device is infected, the presence of the Stage 1 element can result in the reinstallation of Stage 2 and Stage 3 components. To remediate this possibility, it will be necessary to install and apply the most recent patches available for your device and change all access credentials from default to unique inputs. If the rebooting process does not remove VPNFilter from your device, it is recommended that you execute a hard reset, or reset to factory, that will return you device to its settings that were present out of the box. Please note that all personalized configurations will be removed in this process. Additionally, to reduce the likelihood of future incidents or impact from this incident, it is advised that “Remote Management” feature of your router be turned off. If you are unsure of how to access the “Remote Management” feature settings, please see your device’s instruction manual.
Old 05-31-2018, 04:38 PM

The FBI ? Can we trust them ?
Old 05-31-2018, 09:09 PM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to DonH57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdmiata View Post
I'm suspicious of this too. Since I've reset ours there's been a big black Escalade with tinted windows parked down our street.
Old 05-31-2018, 09:12 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdmiata View Post

A heck of a lot more than...nahh, ain't going there.
Closed Thread

Tags
office, routers, malware, home, actors

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.