Florida License Plate for out of State Resident

Closed Thread
Old 02-27-2013, 08:28 PM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,313 Times in 546 Posts
Default Florida License Plate for out of State Resident

We are thinking about purchasing a car here in Florida to stay in our garage while we fly back and forth to Illnois. Has anybody, that is a legal resident of another State, attempted to get a Florida license plate for a vehicle that will only be driven in Florida? I have heard you have to get a Florida drivers license BEFORE you can get a plate for your vehicle. Suppose you didn't drive or wasn't able to drive, but wanted to own a car for someone to drive you around? I could get an Illinois plate for the car and the State of Florida will miss out on the license tag tax. Bureaucracy!
Old 02-27-2013, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justjim View Post
We are thinking about purchasing a car here in Florida to stay in our garage while we fly back and forth to Illnois. Has anybody, that is a legal resident of another State, attempted to get a Florida license plate for a vehicle that will only be driven in Florida? I have heard you have to get a Florida drivers license BEFORE you can get a plate for your vehicle. Suppose you didn't drive or wasn't able to drive, but wanted to own a car for someone to drive you around? I could get an Illinois plate for the car and the State of Florida will miss out on the license tag tax. Bureaucracy!
I have an out of state list too....all we had to do was have FL insurance...then could get the plates. I was told they don't care where YOU live....they care where the car lives.
Not sure about your other question...but I would think you would have to insure the car and the driver????
Old 02-27-2013, 08:43 PM
Sage
Location: Summer at the Jersey Shore, Fall in New England [Maine], Winter in TV!

our friends have a florida car - just needed to bring proof of ownership and florida insurance to get the tags - easy peasy.

Old 02-27-2013, 09:38 PM
Veteran member

Companies that have vehicles and operate in several states can get plates as long as they have insurance FROM the state where the vehicle is registered. So you should not have a problem getting FL plates for a car you are leaving here. Personally, I'd drive a car down from where you live and just park it in the garage, and not mess with getting 2 different insurance polices. That too, is perfectly legal.
Old 02-28-2013, 10:43 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack184 View Post
Companies that have vehicles and operate in several states can get plates as long as they have insurance FROM the state where the vehicle is registered. So you should not have a problem getting FL plates for a car you are leaving here. Personally, I'd drive a car down from where you live and just park it in the garage, and not mess with getting 2 different insurance polices. That too, is perfectly legal.
Be sure your home state insurance company is licensed to sell insurance in Fl. Mine is not and said I would need to have the car at home at least 6 months of the year. The key is where you say the car is garaged.
Of course if you have no accidents it won't matter.
Old 02-28-2013, 10:52 AM

Registered one car here in FL.
Surprised no one has mentioned the COST for PLATES and registration.
I was shocked.
And to insure the car here in FL was 3 times the cost of what I paid at home.
Coming from Taxachusetts, I did save the annual Excise Tax that's not in FL. But, FL ate up my savings on that tax with the high insurance and registration prices.

I must say that a trip to the motor vehicle office is much more pleasant here than in MA.

Bob
Old 02-28-2013, 05:05 PM
Default florida plates

The Registry in Lady Lake told me I could keep my NH plates only if my Insurance Company would insure my car being used in Florida? My insurance company told me they would insure my car in Florida with nh plates, but, my premiums would go up.

I opted to get a Florida license and insurance
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.