Fire Ants Remedy

Closed Thread
Old 06-02-2008, 09:48 PM
Default Fire Ants Remedy

Here is an environmentally friendly cure for fire ants that has been announced on the Georgia Gardner radio program. Testimonials that it REALLY WORKS are coming in. Simply pour two cups of CLUB SODA (carbonated water) directly in the center of a fire ant mound. The carbon dioxide in the water is heavier than air and displaces the oxygen which suffocates the queen and the other ants. The whole colony will be dead within about two days.

Here's the good side: Club soda leaves no poisonous residue, does not contaminate the ground water, and does not indiscriminately kill other insects. Each mound must be treated individually and a one liter bottle of club soda will kill 2 to 3 mounds.

Spread the word. ( I have not personally done this since there are no fire ants where I live, but my relatives in Florida sent me this.) We are future Villagers.
Old 06-02-2008, 09:55 PM
Sage
Default Re: Fire Ants Remedy

I'll have to try that. If you get bitten, quickly dip your finger in Clorox and dab it right on the bite.
It takes away the sting and seems to neutralize the poison so you don't end up with an ugly pustule the next day. I end up with a scar if I don't do the clorox thing.
Old 06-03-2008, 12:58 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelbaby.47
Here is an environmentally friendly cure for fire ants that has been announced on the Georgia Gardner radio program. Testimonials that it REALLY WORKS are coming in. Simply pour two cups of CLUB SODA (carbonated water) directly in the center of a fire ant mound. The carbon dioxide in the water is heavier than air and displaces the oxygen which suffocates the queen and the other ants. The whole colony will be dead within about two days.

Here's the good side: Club soda leaves no poisonous residue, does not contaminate the ground water, and does not indiscriminately kill other insects. Each mound must be treated individually and a one liter bottle of club soda will kill 2 to 3 mounds.

Spread the word. ( I have not personally done this since there are no fire ants where I live, but my relatives in Florida sent me this.) We are future Villagers.
Could I have a twist of lime with that?
Handie :joke:
Old 06-03-2008, 02:57 AM
Sage

:bigthumbsup: Thanks for the tip Angel.
Old 06-04-2008, 07:52 PM
Veteran member

Fire ants???? I would rather mix club soda with fire water and drink it myself.
Viet Nam
CT
TV
Old 06-04-2008, 08:47 PM
Gold member

Also heard that pouring uncooked grits into the ant hill does the trick. They supposedly take them back inside the nest and when they eat the grits they swell up and kill the ants. I think this home remedy came from same person who said to stuff turkey with popping corn. When the popped corn blows the oven door open ,the turkey is supposed to be done. :joke:
Old 06-04-2008, 09:17 PM
Taltarzac

Think that might work on some fire ant mounds but probably not on most of them. http://www.aces.edu/department/extco...ves/003604.php
Old 06-05-2008, 04:11 PM
Sage

Thanks TAL - most home remdies end up in the MTYH pile. Some people swear by them but when science is applied they dry up (pun intended).
Old 06-05-2008, 11:25 PM

the club soda idea sounds good. i actually have experience using the grits method. it works! you must use instant grits though. pour the grits on the mound and they feed on it. when they take in water, they expand and poof - gone in just a few days. when i lived in ga - i used this all the time. 8)
Zug, Switzerland
Usingen, Germany
Woodstock, GA
Old 06-05-2008, 11:31 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patty
the club soda idea sounds good. i actually have experience using the grits method. it works! you must use instant grits though. pour the grits on the mound and they feed on it. when they take in water, they expand and poof - gone in just a few days. when i lived in ga - i used this all the time. 8)
Ummmmmm???
Be precice now, if I swallow a tablespoon of grits will I blow up or be comfortably full, I'm serious now just think of the money I'm gonna save on groceries?? 1rnfl
Old 06-06-2008, 02:49 PM
Sage

Handi, I think you've hit upon a whole new diet approach. You could make millions!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by handieman
Ummmmmm???
Be precice now, if I swallow a tablespoon of grits will I blow up or be comfortably full, I'm serious now just think of the money I'm gonna save on groceries?? 1rnfl

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.