Hot tubs useful?

Closed Thread
Old 01-11-2014, 07:51 AM
Default Hot tubs useful?

She is 56, at home and I am 58, still working, waiting for my freshmen son to graduate high school. My health is generally good been losing weight (needed too) I work at keeping the sugar and cholesterol down but recently I have developed stiffness in my knees. No exactly pain mind you though occasionally at night they may be a bit achy. If I sit for any length of time I have a hard time getting up. Talk about 'weak in the knees'. Yeah I know its all about aging.

My strategy is to continue to lose weight for sure I know that will help And continue to take my dog for long walks - it was 0 here on Monday/Tuesday so a little harder in winter.

The tile setter who did my bathroom a few years back with bad knees told me his hot tub provided relief. A colleague from a High School Parent group with a hip replacement told me the same.

Anyone care to chime in?
Many thanks
Ray
Old 01-11-2014, 09:27 AM
Veteran member

I have lived in the Villages for 5 years and have owned a hot tub for that length of time. Before moving here, I have had a hot tub for 39 years. I could not live without one. I go in every nite and soak for 1/2 hour. When I get out, I feel like a new person. All the aches and pains are gone. I would give up my wife before my hot tub.

Do yourself a favor and get one today.
Old 01-11-2014, 09:37 AM
Veteran member

I bought a thermo spa tub 12 years ago when I moved down here....it was the best purchase I ever made.....I feel like a new person after being in it. shop around and get one with good jet placement.... when i bought mine you could lay out where you wanted the jets to be
Old 01-11-2014, 10:08 AM
Gold member
Location: British Columbia, Seattle and Haciendas at Mission Hills

We had a hot tub in Seattle and we have a Michael Phelps swimspa here with a hot tub we keep at 104 degrees and the pool at 85-87. It is a life saver if you have the issues you have described and worth every penny of keeping it all heated year round, in my opinion.
Old 01-11-2014, 10:17 AM
Veteran member

My mother in law, now 83, swears the hot tub kept her from having the hip and knee replaced for several years. She used the hot tub daily to loosen the joints and she put off both of the surgery's 15 years.

She checked with her Orthopedic Surgeon prior to purchasing the hot tub. Back then if there was a specific type of swelling of the joint, the heat was not recommended. So much time has passed and that theory may have gone by the way side.
Old 01-11-2014, 10:54 AM
Veteran member

We had one for 15 years up North. We loved it and miss it.
We kept ours at 101F...we had to limit our time in it when it was set higher. Ours was a 6 seater with all the bells and whistles. Most of the time we used it with just the circulator on. We found the jets and bubbler being on at the same time was not all that relaxing.
Ours also had a lounger. If we get a new one, we'll skip that option. When using the lounger we tended to float. We'd have to put a weight on our belly to keep us underwater.
Spas come in many sizes. If you think it'll be just the two of you using it, I'd recommend getting a four seater or larger. Small ones with a full load raise the water level causing the water level to be too high.
If you have blood pressure issues, I'd check with your physician before getting one.
Old 01-11-2014, 06:27 PM
Location: Mohnton PA, Raystown Lake PA, and NOW the village of Charlotte

LOVE ours, had one in PA for years, moved here and couldn't live without it, definitely helps the aches in knees/ankles/ backs and necks......HIGHLY recommend getting one!
Old 01-11-2014, 07:51 PM

Ok
Reading these comments is super tempting.
I have never had a hot tub so please, excuse my stupid questions:
how often do you change the water?
How do you get rid of the water?
What options are a must?

If a hot tub s great for aches and pains, why do some people get rid of them?
I am afraid to buy one and then not use it.....
Old 01-11-2014, 09:13 PM
Soaring Eagle member

I would join a gym on a month to month basis and see if it helps. Think if it does I would stick with the gym.
Old 01-11-2014, 10:09 PM
Veteran member

I change my water every three months. Mine is on my lanai, so all I do is open the shutoff valve and let it drain on the concrete. While it is draining, I clean the filter and we are then ready to go for another 3 months. If u do get one, think in terms of whether u want a 120 volt service or 240 volt service. Bigger tubs are 240 and 1 or 2 seaters can be 120 or 240. You just have to switch wires around. One must item is an ozonator. It cleans the water by using ultra violet light and u use less Bromine.

Gud Luk
Old 01-12-2014, 07:18 AM
Default many thanks....

many thanks to all who replied....
Old 01-12-2014, 08:52 AM
Veteran member

I work 3 or 4 days a week stocking milk and eggs and when i get home a jump in the hot box is a must, otherwise my back stiffens up and knees creak. Keep mine at 103 and have jets and a blower. Adds about 30 bucks a month to electric bill.
Old 01-12-2014, 11:01 PM

Hot tub has many health benefits. They are said to provide cure for for joint aches, head aches, insomnia and many other problems. On top of all that soaking in the hot tub fr an hour after a stressful day can do wonders to you. You will feel relieved and refreshed.
So getting a hot tub will not be regretted that is for sure. Just make sure that you also get a good hot tub cover and other accessories to go with. I bought mine online from Buy Factory Direct Spa Covers. Changing the water will depend on how regularly you use it.
Old 01-14-2014, 07:39 AM

Look into the Softub brand. They are lightweight but rigid, easy to care for and can be moved around empty. They have a local showroom. I had one up North and it helped me put off knee replacement for several years until I retired and could rehab without losing time from work. This brand of tub barely added $10 a month to our electric bill, and we kept it at 104 degrees. Miss it down here and often think of getting another one.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.