FL car registration by Snowbirds

Closed Thread
Old 01-12-2014, 02:42 PM

Here is what is stated at the top of the application form instructions for a Florida Homestead Exemption:

"Permanent Florida residency required on January 1."
Old 01-12-2014, 02:46 PM

I would advise to go to Motor Vehicle to get the answers that you need.
Old 01-12-2014, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by another Linda View Post
We are NYS residents with NYS drivers licenses. My husband wants to buy a car, register it in FL, and leave it here. Is that possible? Anyone done it?
We bought a new car here in Florida, registered it, and keep it garaged here. We had Geico insure the car. They also insure my other cars in NY. Insurance companies want to know just where the car is going to be kept.
Old 01-12-2014, 05:32 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellyjam View Post
We bought a new car here in Florida, registered it, and keep it garaged here. We had Geico insure the car. They also insure my other cars in NY. Insurance companies want to know just where the car is going to be kept.
You were able to register the car in FL without a FL driver's license?
Old 01-12-2014, 05:44 PM
Veteran member

Thanks for the feedback! We are not FL residents and for the near future plan to stay NY residents. So, given that, the homestead exemption isn't relevant. We just want a car to leave here and not have to take it back to NY every year to have it inspected. Our insurance is with USAA so we'll have to call them on Monday and make a trip to the DMV.

Also: Wheeling, WV * Youngstown, OH* Niles, OH * Oshkosh, WI * Ft. Worth, TX * Da Bronx * Marathon, NY * Bricktown, NJ * Newark, DE * San Antonio, TX * Washington, DC * Tacoma, WA
Old 01-13-2014, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
You were able to register the car in FL without a FL driver's license?
Yes that is correct. I showed them my NY license. No problems.
Old 01-13-2014, 01:47 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellyjam View Post
Yes that is correct. I showed them my NY license. No problems.
Cool! There's your answer, Another Linda.
Old 01-13-2014, 02:16 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigim112 View Post
I would advise to go to Motor Vehicle to get the answers that you need.
Best answer!
Old 01-14-2014, 11:50 AM

From Ithaca and just registered a car in Fl. Must have Fl drivers license. Cost to register around 400, auto insurance for me was more expensive than NY. I am not sure if the initial cost is a one time fee or paid every time a car is registered from out of state. Also had to change address for proof of insurance.
Old 01-14-2014, 11:56 AM

The best thing would be to check with The state.
Old 01-14-2014, 12:06 PM

This comes directly from the DMV site:
If you are a non-resident from another state who has purchased a vehicle in Florida, you may qualify to get temporary registration tags from a local county tax collector's office in order to legally drive the vehicle back to your state of residence before registering it in your home state. You will need to pay Florida sales tax and provide proper proof of insurance in order to get the temporary tags.
Old 01-14-2014, 12:15 PM
Default car license

I purchased a car here in October. I have an Indiana drivers license The car is titled and plated in FL. you do not have to give up your state license.
Old 01-14-2014, 12:37 PM
Sage

We've now heard anecdotal evidence on both sides of the issue. Maybe it has to do with by whom you are unlucky or lucky enough to get served at the clerks' desks!
Old 01-14-2014, 01:39 PM
Gold member
Location: Bought Tamarind Grove, Mercer Island Wa, previously NH,FLA,Hi,CT,CA,GA, Hubby from Hawaii

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorFan View Post
You have to be a full time resident, have your auto insured in Florida, registered in Florida, drivers license in Florida and be registered to vote in Florida to claim homestead.
Every state has their own rules and they can put a person in conflict.
Years ago when my parents moved to Florida for 7 months a year they had a real problem because New Hampshire requires business owners, and those working in the state, to have a New Hampshire license and plates, and Florida required Florida license and plates on the car. So Mom became a Florida resident (with homestead excemption) and Dad kept his legal residence as New Hampshire. The car was registered in Florida (and went back and forth) and the Truck was registered in New Hampshire. The judge threw out the tickets on my moms car in New Hampshire as he ruled it was perfectly acceptable for married couples to have separate residences and no law against it. But that was 35 years ago.
Old 01-14-2014, 05:17 PM
Veteran member

OK, so here is what happened. We went to the FL DMV (called something different but I can't remember) next to the new library on 466a. To register the car in FL, we need to present a valid title (this one is FL), a bill of sale (they have the paper to fill out if from private owner), a valid driver's license for each owner (NY licenses are just fine), and proof of FL insurance. When we actually go to register the car, we must have the car there so they can validate the VIN#. And that is all -- except, oh yes, you need to pay the FL tax (6%) and the registration fee (based on weight of car). Easy-peasy. And by Thursday or Friday my husband will have a new toy, registered here, that he won't have to keep driving back to NY to have it inspected.

Also: Wheeling, WV * Youngstown, OH* Niles, OH * Oshkosh, WI * Ft. Worth, TX * Da Bronx * Marathon, NY * Bricktown, NJ * Newark, DE * San Antonio, TX * Washington, DC * Tacoma, WA
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.