FL school shooting - NON-POLITICAL

Closed Thread
Old 02-17-2018, 02:22 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenswing View Post
A scary term made up by the media and politicians.

Rifles are broken down by function. There are muzzle loaders, there are bolt action rifles, there are semi-automatic rifles and there are automatic rifles.

The media and politicians would have you believe that any rifle that is black, has a pistol grip and can accept a magazine is an "Assault Weapon"..
Actually, the term assault rifle refers to fully automatic rifles which are so heavily regulated that they might as well be banned.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 02-17-2018, 02:23 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdNoMore View Post
Or mebbe not.
Like I said, nothing's perfect but arming teachers and administrators would reduce the risk significantly.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 02-17-2018, 02:26 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by billethkid View Post
Hence a need for change is required to meet the times!!
A change like this?
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	Minority Report.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	27.3 KB
ID:	74061  
Old 02-17-2018, 02:28 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Winston O Boogie jr View Post
Like I said, nothing's perfect but arming teachers and administrators would reduce the risk significantly.
In your opinion.

I absolutely, totally, wholly and unequivocally...disagree.
Old 02-17-2018, 02:28 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,751 Times in 1,386 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by suesiegel View Post
Some YOU,suggest teachers should be armed.

I DON'T KNOW but were it to be implemented. What would that teach the kids. Some people posting on this thread would object to it. Even if it was put into effect, would a teacher be prepared to pull the trigger or would they assume if they pull out a gun the perpetrator would after shooting some people, some kids, simply give up.

For that matter, in what just happened. Does anyone believe the shooter would not have grabbed a kid and used him as a shield?.

As stated, a simple solution does not exist.

I expect the defense will argue the shooter is insane. He is 19. We will need to keep him in prison for as long as 80 years at a current cost of ????? 100,000 a year.

Can we, can I, accept that a sane person is capable of this unfathomable act?
YES!
The insanity defense is nothing more....NOTHING MORE....than a legal tactic that triggers certain attitudes within the "letter of the law".
A killer like the current school shooter won't know he is "insane" until he meets a defending attorney.
The attorney's task is to create doubt using the letter of the law.
Using the letter of the law means using it, abusing it or hiding behind it....which ever gets the verdict being sought for their client.
Does not mean or imply or guarantee truth...just create doubt. With doubt comes no conviction!!!!
Old 02-17-2018, 02:34 PM
Sage

Quote:
In your opinion.

I absolutely, totally, wholly and unequivocally...disagree.
Wow. We agree again, CNM.
Old 02-17-2018, 02:43 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,950 Times in 829 Posts

Quote:
And besides knocking on his door and talking to him, the FBI could have legally done what...that would have stopped him from doing what he did?
School Shooting threats now a felony
Oct 5, 2016

School shooting threats now a felony

You might want to look up the law before making comments.
Old 02-17-2018, 03:07 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polar Bear View Post
Wow. We agree again, CNM.
Stop it!

Old 02-17-2018, 03:11 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodLife View Post
School Shooting threats now a felony
Oct 5, 2016

School shooting threats now a felony

You might want to look up the law before making comments.
And you might want to reread my post.

Putting aside the fact that the law you linked is a state law, not federal, here is something you should read...in regards to what actions can actually be taken in such instances.

Could a tip to the FBI have stopped the Florida shooting? | PBS NewsHour

But hey, I'm all for a federal law that allows locking up...those who verbally advocate violence toward others.

If that were in effect, we would currently have a totally different national scenario.
Old 02-17-2018, 03:21 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

But back to the thread. I am all for trying something new if it will work. I think people don't want to get rid of guns simply because they are afraid, and rightfully so. I am 78. I don't recall hearing about anyone who I knew in the area I lived growing up being murdered. There was domestic violence and drunks. Some people would say if they took booze away that would stop. I think they did, prohibition happened before I was born and people still beat their wives. Now people hit someone in their car and leave them by the side of the road. Maybe if we caught them and took away their drivers license that would stop. And then there is drugs. Every day people are dying from Heroin and since we can't seem to stop that by passing legislation we are trying to get everyone educated about Narcan and are working to have it everywhere it is needed. Some support drugs being made legal. Maybe that would work.

What happened to that cold feeling we all had when we knew in our gut something was wrong?
Old 02-17-2018, 03:31 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,319 Times in 2,056 Posts

Going to school should not turn into a death sentence, but this is America | Miami Herald

This is a good article by Carl Hiaasen.

I have great respect for the FBI. They monitor Facebook and many other places for terrorists both domestic and foreign. They do miss things as they are humans.
Old 02-17-2018, 03:33 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,244 Times in 707 Posts

Quote:

Putting aside the fact that the law you linked is a state law, not federal, here is something you should read...in regards to what actions can actually be taken in such instances.

But hey, I'm all for a federal law that allows locking up...those who verbally advocate violence toward others.

If that were in effect, we would currently have a totally different national scenario.
The poster you are educating is simply following what he/she believes are orders from on high..nothing more. Has not offered a shred of condolances or ideas on this terrible thing..simply playing the politics of attack.

In any case, the more I read, the more I still feel OPEN and PUBLIC hearings broadcast at prime time on SCHOOL SHOOTINGS and what to do is in order.

This must be aired in public..and have those who are simply pro NRA on the record as well as those who might be anti. A serious discussion to see and hear our folks in action.

This hearing should include discussions on guns and mental health issues. Many think all of this is simply and it is not, but our children deserve a serious discussion on all of it.

I am appalled that the sheer power that the NRA seems to have, but not anti gun at all. I feel that the problem is a combination of both potential gun regulations and the due process of identifying and processing mental health concerns.

Despite the poster who simply attacks the FBI they have dealt with thousands of calls, etc and can speak to the obstacles that they have in handling such calls.

It should NOT be a hearing on the 2nd amendment in anyway but a specific hearing to determine the best action to protect our children while they are at school.

While you and I agree a lot on this, I will say this.....I do not know what could have been done had this been referred to the Miami FBI office as the link you gave addressed the first warning signal that was almost impossible to trace and work on, but had the Miam office been alerted....who knows.

I also think that local law enforcement who KNEW of this kid for quite some time should respond, not on the defensive, but as for the good of knowing what can and cannot be done and be whom. Police and FBI do an outstanding job but are human and restricted by law.
Old 02-17-2018, 03:35 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,244 Times in 707 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taltarzac725 View Post
Going to school should not turn into a death sentence, but this is America | Miami Herald

This is a good article by Carl Hiaasen.

I have great respect for the FBI. They monitor Facebook and many other places for terrorists both domestic and foreign. They do miss things as they are humans.
Many many people are alive today because of their intervention...this was a breech for sure and requires accountability and I think they have stepped up far more than other branches of government FOR SURE.

FBI are true heroes.....I say that from reading and personal experience albeit many years ago
Old 02-17-2018, 03:35 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

When our kids were at home and invited to spend the night at a new friends home, I would call the parents and ask them if they kept guns in their house and if they did, I wouldn't let kids spend the night.

I am not a gun owner or an NRA advocate, and I don't look at either as loathsome. I am a realist.

If half the country does not want to give up guns or have them further controlled, all the rhetoric in the world, the best debaters, the finest arguments are not going to change their minds.

So I say; What else do we have to protect children who are going to go and enter school buildings nine months out of every year until they are eighteen?

Last edited by graciegirl; 02-17-2018 at 04:04 PM.
Old 02-17-2018, 03:43 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,950 Times in 829 Posts

Quote:

Good try but your PBS link only addresses the first tip FBI got in which they could not find out who he was, the 2nd tip was from someone who knew Cruz, where he lived, threats made etc etc.

Cruz committed a Felony under Florida state law, so federal law not relevant, many students in many states have been arrested and prosecuted for making school shooting threats. FBI and LEOs blew it and could have stopped a massacre.
Closed Thread

Tags
issues, social, weapons, gun, people

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.