FL school shooting - NON-POLITICAL

Closed Thread
Old 02-15-2018, 06:41 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,208 Times in 1,172 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdNoMore View Post
Well stated.

The other important thing that some people have a problem grasping is that the KKK is only one....of many hate/white supremacist groups.

In fact, the SPLC has identified almost 1,000 different 'hate' groups.

And the focus of these groups hate, runs the gamut from religion to skin color to yes...even politics (regardless of which side of the aisle one stands).

Hate Map | Southern Poverty Law Center

In this latest atrocity, one has to ask how someone who is three years away from legally purchasing alcohol...can legally buy a weapon that is primarily meant for only one purpose?
And as you know, the same thing has been said about sending 18 year old's to war.

It is confounding - too young for one thing but not the other?
Old 02-15-2018, 06:43 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,244 Times in 707 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abby10 View Post
Seriously? You need to re-read your first post. (post#15) You specifically brought up white supremacists. That is a group, right? Unless you are referring to something else, your statement in bold above makes no sense.

To Gracie's point, I also read where the gunman's social accounts showed a fascination with Isis/Islamic extremism, but to be honest I just glossed over it because I don't believe enough evidence is available yet to prove anything regarding any affiliation with any group.
My point was and still is, that blurb about that group shows interest in hate, and to me represents what is happening to our society. It could have been ANY HATE GROUP involved, but our children being interested into hating is, TO ME, symptomatic of the societal differences.

I never indicated anything else but his interest in hate groups.

You guys want to make politics...I want our children to be safe, and frankly how that happens, as long as it does, will be fine with me.

I certainly can pull my references if that would have people worry about the kids and drop the politics.
Old 02-15-2018, 06:47 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter View Post
One big roadblock to an honest discussion....NRA $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
That is absolutely at the heart of the problem.

An old colleague that I am still in contact with on Facebook and whom I never realized felt so strongly on the matter until about 6 months ago...told me that he believes people should be allowed to own ANY weapon.

He specifically said..."even bazookas/RPG's/Etc."

The saddest part, is that he is far from alone in that view.
Old 02-15-2018, 06:49 PM
Sage

I heard this today, not sure where....

If there were 18 Cessna plane accidents killing people since the beginning of the year, there would be instant investigation and discussion.

Why cannot adults talk about protecting children in school ? No finger pointing, no politics.

Why is that difficult ?
Old 02-15-2018, 06:56 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucco View Post
My point was and still is, that blurb about that group shows interest in hate, and to me represents what is happening to our society. It could have been ANY HATE GROUP involved, but our children being interested into hating is, TO ME, symptomatic of the societal differences.

I never indicated anything else but his interest in hate groups.

You guys want to make politics...I want our children to be safe, and frankly how that happens, as long as it does, will be fine with me.

I certainly can pull my references if that would have people worry about the kids and drop the politics.
I think we're all worried about the kids. It doesn't have to be and shouldn't be about politics in any way, shape, or form. But unfortunately, because it deals with laws, that's where a discussion like this will probably end up. And I don't think either side of the debate is all right or all wrong. There is much to be considered along that line when terrible situations like this happen.

In the meantime, I think we can all agree that this gunman committed an evil act and he should be dealt with in the most severe manner possible.
Old 02-15-2018, 07:19 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,751 Times in 1,386 Posts

Unfortunately the subject cannot appropriately be addressed in full without airing the political impacts, that most definitely define where we are and are not on the subject of appropriate gun ownership and use.

Hence, confined to NO POLITICS...no real progress can be made in any discussion.
Old 02-15-2018, 07:46 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by billethkid View Post
Unfortunately the subject cannot appropriately be addressed in full without airing the political impacts, that most definitely define where we are and are not on the subject of appropriate gun ownership and use.

Hence, confined to NO POLITICS...no real progress can be made in any discussion.
To a large extent you are correct, but I just got to thinking what could be discussed is the heroes in all of this. As the story unfolds, we are learning more about the selfless acts of some real heroes.

Also found it interesting on one radio show that I was listening to this morning, the host of the show stated that he would not say the gunman's name. He said it was in an effort to NOT give him any publicity or notoriety on his show and that he would only be spoken of as the gunman who murdered 17 people today.
Old 02-15-2018, 07:49 PM
Sage

Quote:
To a large extent you are correct, but I just got to thinking what could be discussed is the heroes in all of this. As the story unfolds, we are learning more about the selfless acts of some real heroes.

Also found it interesting on one radio show that I was listening to this morning, the host of the show stated that he would not say the gunman's name. He said it was in an effort to NOT give him any publicity or notoriety on his show and that he would only be spoken of as the gunman who murdered 17 people today.
Two of the cable news networks will also not mention the shooters name.
Old 02-15-2018, 07:55 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucco View Post
Two of the cable news networks will also not mention the shooters name.
I haven't gotten around to any television watching yet today so wasn't aware. Good to know - thanks.
Old 02-15-2018, 07:55 PM
fw102807

Quote:

Good for him. They should ignore the gunman and speak of the heroes. They are like piranhas dissecting every detail and sticking their microphones in the faces of those traumatized.
Old 02-15-2018, 07:59 PM
Sage

Quote:
I haven't gotten around to any television watching yet today so wasn't aware. Good to know - thanks.
Actually, that needs correction.

Two of the cable news networks have shows where they will not mention his name.

The NEWS IS THE NEWS, and certainly his name, whether like it or not IS THE NEWS.

But, while we conveniently forget....Cable NEWS Networks are less news and more commentary.

Thus certain shows will not say his name, but it certainly is in NEWS broadcasts.
Old 02-15-2018, 08:19 PM
fw102807

What US can learn from countries close to eliminating gun deaths - BI
Old 02-15-2018, 08:38 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Ah yes Australia. I believe that is where you are required to have a job before you immigrate...and U.K.? They have bombs and lots of Muslim extremists who run over folks with trucks and Norway? Same there, They have a very difficult time with people moving in to get their social programs. Taxes are very high there as a result. Japan. I don't know. They have lots of rules and people seem to respect them. I like that.

Last edited by graciegirl; 02-15-2018 at 08:58 PM.
Old 02-15-2018, 08:40 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

In Ohio we know that you can't close the barn door AFTER the horses get out.
Old 02-15-2018, 08:54 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,950 Times in 829 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdNoMore View Post
Please point me to the post claiming..."45 rounds a second."

Thank you.
Copied and pasted from post #12 by mscocco, who editied his post after seeing mine.

Last edited by mscocco; Today at 04:01 PM.
Closed Thread

Tags
issues, social, weapons, gun, people

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.