FL school shooting - NON-POLITICAL

Closed Thread
Old 03-09-2018, 08:12 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,437 Times in 2,276 Posts

Why didn't they just outlaw murder? Oh...

We've Got Plenty Of Youth.. What We Need Is a Fountain Of SMART!
Old 03-10-2018, 10:40 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

I think that the governor is trying to please all sides and it's backfiring on him. The left is upset that he's allowing school employees to defend themselves and the right is upset that he's raising the age to buy a rifle.

I think that we all agree that more has to be done about allowing mentally ill people access to guns, but that is a very complex issue. Exactly how do we define mental illness? Are people who are diagnosed with dysthymia or mild depression to be deemed to be mentally ill? Is everyone who is on some mild anti-depressant going to have their rights taken away?

It also should be obvious that law enforcement has to do a better job of reporting issues and communicating with one another.

I can't imagine that anyone in an active shooter situation wouldn't want to be armed. Some are going to say that the answer to that is to eliminate all active shooter situations. I'm all for that if it can be guaranteed that we'll never have another crazy person get a gun and start shooting up schools and airports. But how is it possible to guarantee that? I think that if you believe that we can do that, you're more than a bit naive. The only way to #1 discourage these shootings and #2 to ameliorate the damage done when they do occur.

As far as raising the age to buy a rifle I don't see that doing any good and I think that it will eventually be overturned in court.

The thing is that the fact that 18-year-olds could be drafted into the military and sent to fight for our country was grounds for lowering the voting age in 1971. I think that the bottom line question is; At what age do our constitutional rights kick in? If it's 18 for voting, how can an argument be made for 21 to own a firearm? I think that it has to be one or the other.

Raising the age is going to prevent single mothers age 18-20 from buying a gun to defend their homes and children. Where is the outrage about sexism and age discrimination?
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 03-10-2018, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Winston O Boogie jr View Post

Raising the age is going to prevent single mothers age 18-20 from buying a gun to defend their homes and children. Where is the outrage about sexism and age discrimination?
Good post Winston.

I don't think it bans them from owning hand guns though. Which one would use as self defense. You def don't want an AR-15 in close quarters with kids sleeping in the next room etc...

Also, if there are so many 18-20 YO single moms who are constantly needing to kill Babby Daddy's and ex boyfriends, etc...we should just pack it in and give up. Is it really that much of a thing? Goodness.
Old 03-10-2018, 02:17 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,784 Times in 1,387 Posts

Anybody care to venture a guess how much these new laws will impact any potential future event?
How about what the impact would have been if theses laws were in effect a year prior to the shooting?

The new laws are nothing more than political eye wash.
Chest thumping rights for a political speech.....i.e. see what we did to curb gun violence.

Impact on violence, gun or otherwise.....less than negligible!!
Old 03-10-2018, 02:51 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,950 Times in 829 Posts

Yep. If only the FBI or Broward's Sheriffs had followed up on existing laws, or the Broward school officials did not embrace Promise Program "hug a thug" policies that lowered student arrests artificially, the shooter would have never been allowed to purchase guns under EXISTING LAWS!

Meanwhile politicians pass laws to make people think they are "doing something"
Old 03-10-2018, 06:57 PM

All political BS......nothing will change . A problem only for one country in the world. Why is that ?
Old 03-10-2018, 07:35 PM
Sage

Unfortunately, we are not the only country in the world with mass shootings.

Sorry, Despite Gun-Control Advocates' Claims, U.S. Isn't The Worst Country For Mass Shootings | Stock News & Stock Market Analysis - IBD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdmiata View Post
All political BS......nothing will change . A problem only for one country in the world. Why is that ?

Last edited by biker1; 03-10-2018 at 08:01 PM.
Old 03-10-2018, 07:59 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Post View Post
Good post Winston.

I don't think it bans them from owning hand guns though. Which one would use as self defense. You def don't want an AR-15 in close quarters with kids sleeping in the next room etc...

Also, if there are so many 18-20 YO single moms who are constantly needing to kill Babby Daddy's and ex boyfriends, etc...we should just pack it in and give up. Is it really that much of a thing? Goodness.

Actually, this new law raises the age for obtaining a rifle from 18 to 21. The age for owning a handgun is already 21.

A homeowner in Texas just used an AR-15 to defend himself and his home against three armed assailants.

There are probably more single mothers attack in this country on an annual basis than there are school shootings. As horrible as they are, school shootings are relatively rare. More kids are killed in Chicago every week than were killed in Parkland in one day. Why aren't we just as upset about that?
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 03-10-2018, 08:04 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by billethkid View Post
Anybody care to venture a guess how much these new laws will impact any potential future event?
How about what the impact would have been if theses laws were in effect a year prior to the shooting?

The new laws are nothing more than political eye wash.
Chest thumping rights for a political speech.....i.e. see what we did to curb gun violence.

I believe that having some school employees armed may help to deter some of these school shootings. Especially if signs are posted warning that some employees are armed. The worst thing that we can tell people who want to kill large amounts of people is that they are in a gun-free zone. Now if they'll only take down those ridiculous signs at airports and allow lawful concealed carry permit holders to bring their guns into the terminal we'd all be a lot safer there as well.

Old 03-10-2018, 08:14 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,437 Times in 2,276 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Winston O Boogie jr View Post
I believe that having some school employees armed may help to deter some of these school shootings. Especially if signs are posted warning that some employees are armed. The worst thing that we can tell people who want to kill large amounts of people is that they are in a gun-free zone. Now if they'll only take down those ridiculous signs at airports and allow lawful concealed carry permit holders to bring their guns into the terminal we'd all be a lot safer there as well.
"This school is no longer a gun free zone"..

We've Got Plenty Of Youth.. What We Need Is a Fountain Of SMART!
Old 03-10-2018, 08:50 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by biker1 View Post
In low population countries (e.g. Norway), it only takes a few high fatality incidents...to really skew these stat's.

The real issue, as usual...is to follow the money (or the lack thereof in this case).

The fact that the NRA hasn't been able to incite enough fear by screeching "they're trying to take away your guns"... has resulted in a precipitous drop in gun sales in 2017.

To the point that prior to Parkland, Winchester was filing bankruptcy...and gun sales overall last year were down tremendously.

Inside Republicans''' New Direction on Gun Restrictions | Time

Quote:
There may be another explanation for the Republicans’ talk of modest new gun restrictions: money. Gun manufacturers are in the midst of the worst business crisis in decades, with double-digit sales drops driving some to the brink of bankruptcy.

The NRA, which gets its funding not only from individual members but also major gunmakers, is in a position to help. Nothing gooses gun sales like the threat of new gun-control measures. And behind the scenes, two senior GOP officials tell TIME, the NRA has given lawmakers the green light to float new gun limits without the threat of retribution.

The logic: introducing those policies — or even better, debating them — will be good for business. Jennifer Baker, a NRA spokeswoman, denied that her organization made such overtures to Congress and said the NRA’s main concern was not gun sales but rather defending gun rights.

If past is prologue, Keane says, the tragedy in Parkland and the ensuing debate could spur an urgency among Americans to stock up.
Old 03-10-2018, 08:58 PM
Veteran member

Personally I believe the conversation is focused too much on the tool and not enough on the problem. Here is the question that needs to be answered: "Why now? Guns have been a part of our society since this countries inception, why is it now acceptable in the minds of some, to pick up a weapon, and kill innocent people, lots of people, at one time? Why now? Where is this motivation born?

Laws will never stop these incidents and its not the AR-15 platform that is the problem. Read my post about Columbine. The two had made bombs from 20 LB LP Bottles that luckily did not explode. Had they worked, the estimated casualties would have been over 400. It would have collapsed the roof of the building.

As for teachers being armed, I don't have a problem with it , if the school employee, who ever that might be, volunteers and is willing to put in the extra time. I'm not going to make that decision for them, it's their decision to make. I personally would volunteer and take the training.

As for the age of 21 for rifles. I started hunting with my friends at the age of 16. I think I even purchased my own shot gun at the time. However, from what I see today, I'm not sure today's average 18 year old is as mature as we were when my friends and I were that age. There is a difference between being well informed and mature. We were mature but had less information available to us then today's kids. Also I don't remember anyone I ever knew talking about walking into a school and playing real time target practice with the student body. There were acceptable boundaries that you did not cross. I don't see these kids having the same conceptual understanding of boundaries.
The AR-15 semi-auto rifle platform is a very efficient, well designed, weapon. Far more efficient then a bolt action, or lever action rifle. I'm not sure I want that rifle in the hands of an 18 year old unsupervised.

As for banning the AR-15, I will never support that approach. However I could see it changed to a different class which requires more scrutiny to own one. This has already been done with a number of other firearms.
Old 03-11-2018, 07:24 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,244 Times in 707 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve9930 View Post
Personally I believe the conversation is focused too much on the tool and not enough on the problem. Here is the question that needs to be answered: "Why now? Guns have been a part of our society since this countries inception, why is it now acceptable in the minds of some, to pick up a weapon, and kill innocent people, lots of people, at one time? Why now? Where is this motivation born?

Laws will never stop these incidents and its not the AR-15 platform that is the problem. Read my post about Columbine. The two had made bombs from 20 LB LP Bottles that luckily did not explode. Had they worked, the estimated casualties would have been over 400. It would have collapsed the roof of the building.

As for teachers being armed, I don't have a problem with it , if the school employee, who ever that might be, volunteers and is willing to put in the extra time. I'm not going to make that decision for them, it's their decision to make. I personally would volunteer and take the training.

As for the age of 21 for rifles. I started hunting with my friends at the age of 16. I think I even purchased my own shot gun at the time. However, from what I see today, I'm not sure today's average 18 year old is as mature as we were when my friends and I were that age. There is a difference between being well informed and mature. We were mature but had less information available to us then today's kids. Also I don't remember anyone I ever knew talking about walking into a school and playing real time target practice with the student body. There were acceptable boundaries that you did not cross. I don't see these kids having the same conceptual understanding of boundaries.
The AR-15 semi-auto rifle platform is a very efficient, well designed, weapon. Far more efficient then a bolt action, or lever action rifle. I'm not sure I want that rifle in the hands of an 18 year old unsupervised.

As for banning the AR-15, I will never support that approach. However I could see it changed to a different class which requires more scrutiny to own one. This has already been done with a number of other firearms.
This, in my opinion is an extremely valid post.

Especially, and capturing what I see as the problem, your opening paragraph....

"Here is the question that needs to be answered: "Why now? Guns have been a part of our society since this countries inception, why is it now acceptable in the minds of some, to pick up a weapon, and kill innocent people, lots of people, at one time? Why now? Where is this motivation born?"
Old 03-11-2018, 07:34 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,345 Times in 2,067 Posts

Stores likely to face more lawsuits over ban on under-21 gun sales - NBC News

These laws look like they are written too broadly. Probably will be struck down by various state courts.
Old 03-11-2018, 09:25 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,784 Times in 1,387 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taltarzac725 View Post
Stores likely to face more lawsuits over ban on under-21 gun sales - NBC News

These laws look like they are written too broadly. Probably will be struck down by various state courts.
As intended by the authoring politician(s).
They retain bragging rights for having "done something"......in their own narrow political mind anyway.
Closed Thread

Tags
issues, social, weapons, gun, people

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.