Fla University Professor

Closed Thread
Old 03-24-2013, 01:48 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by renrod View Post
That would be the lead story on the national news. Care to give some credibility to your claim?
Actually the story was out on multiple news websites including AP, Fox, Washington Times & Yahoo.

If I was subjected to such a thing in class, I would refuse, take an "F" and find a Christian lawyer to clean his clock.
Old 03-24-2013, 04:51 PM
Gold member

Think,I would have asked the teacher his wifes first and last name.Put the name on the paper,stomp in it,and ask him if this was a learning experience.
Old 03-25-2013, 06:53 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,319 Times in 2,056 Posts

FAU drops exercise asking class to stomp on

Tells more of the story. Sounds like some media have been cherry picking about which facts to present. The whole point of the communication exercise is to communicate that some words are a lot more than just words but are symbols of hopes, dreams, faith, etc.

Last edited by Taltarzac725; 03-25-2013 at 12:22 PM.
Old 03-25-2013, 07:14 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by buggyone View Post
Yes, it does say the student was a MORMON. The article also said he went to discuss it with the instructor's supervisor and has been suspended from THAT class. (Not expelled from college). How did the student conduct himself with the supervisor? Was that the reason he got suspended from that one class? Too many things we do not know about it.

It was some sort of communications class. Obviously, the students were supposed to communicate their emotions about the directive. Very stupid exercise. The student would not have been suspended from that class if he had reasonably explained his refusal to the class. A college class is not the Army when you can be discliplined for refusing to follow a directive.
Normal for so many people to act first then look into the matter. Any of us that jump on the title as the whole story are less than astute and more of a dolt.
Old 03-25-2013, 09:01 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,244 Times in 707 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taltarzac725 View Post

Tells more of the story. Sounds like some media have been cherry picking about which facts to present. The whole point of the communication exercise is to communicate that some words are a lot more than just words but are symbols of hopes, dreams, faith, hope, etc.
"Sounds like some media have been cherry picking about which facts to present. "

And you find this unique in some way ????
Old 03-25-2013, 09:12 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,319 Times in 2,056 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucco View Post
"Sounds like some media have been cherry picking about which facts to present. "

And you find this unique in some way ????
Not at all. Very few media stories have no spin on them.
Old 03-25-2013, 09:23 AM
Veteran member

I find it more than a little ironic that many on this thread jumped to conclusions and acted in a very unchristian way(imo) .... while defending Christianity.

Disproportionate out rage over perceived mistreatment's of words & symbols have caused immense human suffering through out history.
Old 03-25-2013, 10:17 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LndLocked View Post
I find it more than a little ironic that many on this thread jumped to conclusions and acted in a very unchristian way(imo) .... while defending Christianity.

Disproportionate out rage over perceived mistreatment's of words & symbols have caused immense human suffering through out history.
Totally agree! Could be just trying to stir the pot.

"Do no harm" (but take no sh**!)
Old 03-25-2013, 04:05 PM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

Blueash, thank you for a very well-reasoned, rational response. Tal, thanks for taking the time and effort to find a more comprehensive article.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 03-25-2013, 06:58 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueash View Post
Just from my reading of the UPI story, no further googling... A professor is teaching a course in intercultural communication.. In other words exploring the difficulties members of one culture have in understanding and communicating with those in an other culture. What might be useful to do is to try to see how "they" experience what "we" do to help us gain some insight into why "they" react the way "they" do. For instance why do Muslims get so furious if "we" happen to print a cartoon about Allah or defile a Koran. Why don't "they" just accept that it is just a book or a cartoon and get on with their life?
Here we have a strict adherent Christian who is angered by an exercise which seems to attack his faith. Note that others in the same classroom chose not to do the exercise and seemingly without consequences. Only this student as far as reported felt the need to go to the supervisor and complain that his faith was being attacked. Sounds to me like the exercise hit a nerve, which should be the goal of the exercise. So now that student and other students have a bit of the sense of anger that Muslims feel when the tenets of their faith are ridiculed. And that some would see this as an attack on Christianity, knee jerk defending of the faith, only shows that maybe we all need to learn to be more interculturally sensitive so we don't jump to wrong conclusions before getting facts.
I must admit that I did not read this posting in it's entirety previously ..... it is perfectly put!!
Old 03-25-2013, 08:11 PM
Veteran member
Default Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taltarzac725 View Post

Tells more of the story. Sounds like some media have been cherry picking about which facts to present. The whole point of the communication exercise is to communicate that some words are a lot more than just words but are symbols of hopes, dreams, faith, etc.
Thank you for taking the time to research this to whatever extent additional information is available, rather than simply putting our mouths in motion before putting our brains in gear....
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.