Forever Home

Old 05-01-2024, 06:20 AM
Gold member

My favorite obit from a neighbor...'dont worry if you don't make it to my funeral....i wont be making it to yours'
Old 05-01-2024, 06:30 AM

My aunt was a social worker who worked in a VA hospital in Washington DC. She was working with a gentleman who was nearing the end and told that he needed to think about what he wanted to do with his remains. His initial response was that re really didn’t care. When she came back the next week, he said “I want to be cremated and have the ashes shipped to my brother. I never really liked him, anyway.”

We will be cremated. I doubt that any of our family will ever visit us very often, if at all. Perhaps made into a Christmas ornament so that we are remembered at a happy time of the year?

Unique Cremation Jewelry and Cremation Glass Art

— Joan Robinson, “Contributions to Modern Economics” (1978)
Old 05-01-2024, 06:34 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Location: Drayton Plains, MI, Vietnam, Waterford, MI, Pennacamp, Fernandina, Duval, 1 retired in Richmond
Thanked 1,628 Times in 598 Posts

Had to go to Ocala, there was a thrift store there. Lady was looking at a nice glass sculpture. She turned it over to look for the price, there was a name date and place engraved.

She thought it was the designer, nope it was ashes from someone’s not so loved relative. May be a forever home, until it goes in the garage sale
Old 05-01-2024, 06:40 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,889 Times in 800 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbene View Post
Where are you going to spend forever?
Was talking with our kids and mentioned that we are planning on being cremated when the time comes and are currently looking for a place to be interred at the cemetery up north where many family members are located.
Our children moved down to Florida with us when we came 18 years ago.
They both said if we did that they probably won't visit because neither one of them plan on moving back up there, so I guess we'll start looking for a place to be interred either near the villages or the metro Orlando area.
Where are you planning on spending your time when it comes?

Appended

Is this something you have thought about and done something about or is it something you're going to dump on your kids or someone else when that time comes?
“Well, you can bury her, burn her, or dump her in the Thames.”
“Dump her in the Thames?”
“Oh, were you fond of her?”

My dad had my mom cremated when she died ten years ago, then dumped her ashes under some rose bushes in Washington Park in Denver, a place he liked to visit. He could sit on a bench there and think of her. But now he’s 95 and not allowed to drive, so he can’t easily get there. Then the parks department dug up the rose garden and replaced it with native plants. (You might call them weeds.) I took him there last December. It wasn’t the same.

Now he wants to be cremated and thinks maybe his ashes should be scattered under the big fir trees in the backyard. But we point out to him that after he dies, we are going to sell the house, so it’s not like we would ever sit there to think of him.

My family lives in my heart—many generations of them. I never visit their graves. As long as I think of them, in a way they live on. Ashes? Just let the cremation company toss them, or flush them down the toilet. Treasure up your loved ones in your memories.
Old 05-01-2024, 06:40 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,568 Times in 601 Posts

Quote:
Was talking with our kids and mentioned that we are planning on being cremated when the time comes and are currently looking for a place to be interred at the cemetery up north where many family members are located.
They both said if we did that they probably won't visit because neither one of them plan on moving back up there, so I guess we'll start looking for a place to be interred either near the villages or the metro Orlando area.

Appended

Is this something you have thought about and done something about or is it something you're going to dump on your kids or someone else when that time comes?
This is all a personal decision. And anyone who leaves their death arrangements to family members at the end are inconsiderate. Plan your own afterlife. Quit being cheap and expectin everyone else to bury you or what ever.
Old 05-01-2024, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MandoMan View Post
“Well, you can bury her, burn her, or dump her in the Thames.”
“Dump her in the Thames?”
“Oh, were you fond of her?”

My dad had my mom cremated when she died ten years ago, then dumped her ashes under some rose bushes in Washington Park in Denver, a place he liked to visit. He could sit on a bench there and think of her. But now he’s 95 and not allowed to drive, so he can’t easily get there. Then the parks department dug up the rose garden and replaced it with native plants. (You might call them weeds.) I took him there last December. It wasn’t the same.

Now he wants to be cremated and thinks maybe his ashes should be scattered under the big fir trees in the backyard. But we point out to him that after he dies, we are going to sell the house, so it’s not like we would ever sit there to think of him.

My family lives in my heart—many generations of them. I never visit their graves. As long as I think of them, in a way they live on. Ashes? Just let the cremation company toss them, or flush them down the toilet. Treasure up your loved ones in your memories.
Loved your story and your sentiments. Beautiful!
Old 05-01-2024, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Have thought about it AND done something about it. Not dumping it on the kids.
Going back up north same place as many other family members. Lots have been purchased and stone has been erected.

Many never visit a cemetery anyway, so wouldn't worry about if the kids will visit. Who says they'll even BE in FL in the future?
I figure it's for the convenience of grandchildren, great-grandchildren and many beyond.
Old 05-01-2024, 07:20 AM

Quote:

Appended

Just curious - how often do you visit the “cemetery up north where many family members are located”?

Last edited by True Blue; 05-01-2024 at 07:21 AM. Reason: Missed a wors
Old 05-01-2024, 07:31 AM

I'm from Texas. Born in March when the bluebonnets bloom prolifically each year. My kids have known for years I wish to be scattered in a bluebonnet patch somewhere in Texas.
Old 05-01-2024, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobnBev View Post
If you are former military, you can be intered at the Florida National Cemetary in Bushnell, for free.
Do you know if this applies to non-military spouse so they are buried next to each other?
Old 05-01-2024, 07:44 AM

I was thinking of being laminated in plastic and left at a local bar.
Old 05-01-2024, 07:46 AM

Lady Lake Cemetery in one of their columbariums. Beautiful small local Cemetery.
Old 05-01-2024, 07:55 AM
Gold member

Surprised no local funeral home or cremation service ads popped up on this thread....yet!
Old 05-01-2024, 08:07 AM

We'll be at Bushnell. We've made all the arrangements; will, power attorney, trust, prepaid funeral/cremation, funeral mass.
And we've discussed it all with the kids. Its a pain to go through it all but worth it.
Old 05-01-2024, 08:20 AM

Quote:

Appended

Check out LONE OAK CEMETERY of Rt.44 in Leesburg, Florida. 352-326-9085 or 352-267-6409.

Tags
interred, place, time, forever, planning

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.