Fumar's take on old age !!!

Closed Thread
Old 05-14-2008, 11:21 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Default Re: Fumar's take on old age !!!

Barefoot
I love little doggie's They taste just like chicken !!!!!

fumar
Old 05-14-2008, 11:24 PM
Sage

Barefoot, ready! Lets get him!!!!!!!!!!!!! :realmad:

There is no difficulty on earth that enough love will not conquer.
Old 05-14-2008, 11:25 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Send a message via Yahoo to renielarson

fumar...if you're in Thailand!
Old 05-14-2008, 11:58 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Ronda
No one from R I could write this .......Would be interested in reading it...

curious fumar
Old 05-15-2008, 12:46 AM
Platinum member

Old Age, I decided, is agift.

Here ya go, looks the same to me! There are some typing errors, but otherwise, same?? I am now, probably for the first time in mylife, the person I have always wanted to be. Oh, not my body! I sometime despair over my body, the wrinkles, the baggyeyes, and the sagging butt. And often I am taken aback by that oldperson that lives in my mirror (who looks like my mother!), but I don't agonize over those things for long.

I would never trade my amazing friends, my wonderful life, my loving family for less gray hair or a flatter belly. As I've aged, I've become more kind to myself, and l am less critical of myself. I've become my own friend.

I don't chide myself for eating that extra cookie, or for not making my bed, or for buying that silly cement gecko that I didn't need, but looks so avante garde on my patio. I am entitled to a treat, to be messy, to be extravagant.

I have seen too many dear friends leave this world too soon; before they understood the great freedom that comes with aging.

Whose business is it if I choose to read or play on the computer until 4 AM and sleep until noon?

I will dance with myself to those wonderful tunes of the 60&70's, and if I, at the same time, wish to weep over a lost love ... I will.

I will walk the beach in a swim suit that is stretched over a bulging body, and will dive into the waves with abandon if I choose to, despite the pitying glances from the jet set.
They, too, will get old.

I know I am sometimes forgetful. But there again, some of life is just as well forgotten. And I eventually remember the important things.

Sure, over the years my heart has been broken. How can your heart not break when you lose a loved one, or when a child suffers, or even when somebody's beloved pet gets hit by a car? But broken hearts are what give us strength and understanding and compassion. A heart never broken is pristine and sterile and will never know the joy of being imperfect.

I am so blessed to have lived long enough to have my hair turning gray, and to have my youthful laughs be forever etched into deep grooves on my face. So many have never laughed, and so many have died before their hair could turn silver.

As you get older, it is easier to be positive. You care less about what other people think. I don'tquestion myself anymore. I've even earned the right to be wrong.

So, to answer your question, I like being old. It has set me free. I like the person I have become. I am not going to live forever, but while I am still here, I will not waste time lamenting what could have been, or worrying about what will be. And I shall eat dessert every single day. (If I feel like it)

MAY OUR FRIENDSHIP NEVER COME APART ESPECIALLY WHEN IT'S STRAIGHT FROM THEHEART! MAY YOU ALWAYS HAVE A RAINBOW OF SMILES ON YOUR FACE AND IN YOUR HEART FOREVER AND EVER!

FRIENDS FOREVER!
Old 05-15-2008, 12:58 AM
Platinum member

What do you mean no one in RI could have written it??!! Here are just a few examples of how great RI is, it is a very special place: Hats off to Little Rhodys firsts

We were the first to renounce the crown, establish religious freedom and create an action figure. That would be G.I. Joe. We're home to the first industrial mill, Jewish temple, roller-skating rink, and not just a first Baptist church but ïn 1638 it's the first Baptist Church in America. Apparently, we're big on indoor shopping here, since the Arcade was America's first enclosed mall, and in 1768, Gladdings became the first department store on U.S. soil.

We have the longest name of any state, "Rhode Island and Providence Plantations". Arlene Violet was the nations first female state Attorney General. Usquepaugh hosts the countrys only jonnycake festival. And our state troopers were not only voted best dressed, but once did a fashion show on David Letterman. Beat that, Connecticut.

All this is from my favorite new local book. Its by Roberta Mudge Humble, a professor of English at the Community College of Rhode Island, and is called The RIght to Crow, A Look at Rhode Island Firsts, Best & Uniques.
Perhaps its our small size, but there ïs something about living here that makes people embrace ways that Rhode Island stands out. Good or bad.

I actually felt proud that the New England mob was based in Providence instead of Boston; maybe Detroit had cars, but at least we had that industry. We also once had the biggest maker of fake flowers anywhere. Calart. I'm still proud that we have the worlds biggest termite overlooking Route 95. Its 58 feet long. And to think outsiders thought this wasn't a major-league place.

I've long known we stand out as the capital of coffee milk, lemonade slush, bubblers, cabinets and an obsession with low-number plates. I've known we have a famous chicken breed, the Rhode Island Red, with its own monument, and that we were home to the Americas Cup for more than a century until the Aussies ripped us off. I've known that the longest professional baseball game, 33 innings, was at McCoy Stadium.

But there are a lot of firsts I barely knew; or didn't know. Such as that the Newport Reading Room has the worlds oldest flush toilets. So I love this book. It further tells me that the first World Series ever, anywhere, was held here. And the Providence Grays won. They beat the New York Mets. To me, that is right up there with inventing religious freedom. So is the fact that Babe Ruth once played for the Providence Grays.

I'm even proud that in 1976, a state rep named Bernard Gladstone proposed a $2 tax on sex to increase revenues. At least it was a first.. It didn't pass.

The nations first-ever speeding ticket was given in 1904 in Newport. The guy deserved it; he was going 20 miles per hour.
The most expensive piece of furniture ever sold was an 18th-century desk by Rhode Island carpenter John Goddard. In 1989, someone paid $12.1 million for it. But ounce for ounce, that's probably not as valuable as the $25,000 paid here for license plate number 7. That means plate number 1 is worth six figures.

Plus, I'm guessing no other place has as much collective interest in such odd foods as doughboys, dynamites, grinders, New York System wieners, clamcakes and stuffies.

I'm also guessing that no other successful politician legally added an "a" to the beginning of his name, as Ralph aRusso did, to be first on a ballot. After winning, he went on to serve as mayor of Johnston for 24 years, a state record for that office.

Oh, and show me another state where the landfill is the second-highest point. It gives you a shiver of pride.

Mr. Potato Head was born here. So was Furby, My Little Pony, and the Easy Bake Oven, which I still am prone to give as a gift to my 29-year-old daughter because, as a mom, I refuse to accept that she is no longer 9.

Maybe one reason we need books like Humbles is that the rest of the world doesn't give us enough credit for these things. I'm still angry that Boston gets acclaim for sparking the Revolution by dumping some tea in the harbor in December 1773 when, a whole year and half before that, Rhode Islanders burned an entire British tax ship. But who, besides us, remembers that?
Now, we have a reminder.The following is a list of Famous People from Rhode Island

Robert Aldrich, film director, born in Cranston
Harry Anderson, comedian, born in Newport
Rocco Baldelli, professional baseball player for the Tampa Bay Devil Rays, born in Woonsocket
Bryan Berard, Professional Hockey Player, Woonsocket
Ambrose Burnside, Rhode Island Governor, Senator, and Civil War General
Ruth Buzzi, actress in 1960s TV program Rowan & Martin's Laugh-In, born in Westerly
John Cafferty, lead singer of John Caffetry And The Beaver Brown Band, Narragansett
Blu Cantrell, Grammy Award-nominated R&B and soul singer, born Tiffany Cobb in Providence, Rhode Island
Keith Carney, Professional Hockey player, Pawtucket
Charles V. Chapin, pioneering epidemiologist and a forefather of the public health movement, Providence
Vincent "Buddy" Cianci, Jr., former mayor of Providence
Mike Cloud, running back for the 3-time Super Bowl champions the New England Patriots, Portsmouth
George M. Cohan, dramatist, born in Providence
Nicholas Colasanto, actor who played Coach Ernie Pantusso on Cheers, Westerly
Shane Collins, writer, director; resident of Chepachet[citation needed]
Bill Conti, film composer (Rocky, The Right Stuff)
Jill Craybas, professional women's tennis player, born in Providence
Prudence Crandell, a native of Hope Valley she curagiously opened her school to students of all colors, despite threats and being thrown in prison
Mark Cutler, lead singer of The Raindogs (Atlantic Records) and The Schemers
Vin Di Bona, creator of America's Funniest Home Videos, born in Central Falls
C.M. Eddy, Jr., horror writer, Providence
Nelson Eddy, actor/singer, born in Providence
Eileen Farrell, opera singer, grew up in Woonsocket
Bobby Farrelly, writer, director born in Cumberland
Peter Farrelly, writer, director born in Cumberland
Brad Faxon, professional golfer, raised in Barrington
Claire Waters Ferguson, first woman president of the United States Figure Skating Association
Billy Gilman,Famous World Record Holding Country singer, born in Westerly, currently living in Hope Valley.
Spalding Gray, writer, actor born in Barrington
Nathanael Greene, Revolutionary War general, second in command to Washington, born in Potowomut, Warwick
Shephard Fairey, Famous urban artist most known for his OBEY the GIANT works. Attended RISD
Bobby Hackett, trumpet player, born in Providence
William Hagan, American political writer, born in Providence
Clay Hart, American country singer from The Lawrence Welk Show, born in Providence
David Hartman, television newscaster, born in Pawtucket
Gabby Hartnett, professional baseball player, Woonsocket
Richard Hatch, First winner of American Survivor, resident of Newport
David Hedison, actor in film, television and theater, born in Providence
Kristin Hersh, with half-sister Tanya Donelly and Rogers High School schoolmate David Narcizo: founding members of the band Throwing Muses
Raymond Mathewson Hood, Architect of Rockefeller Center, born in Pawtucket
Ruth Hussey, actress, born in Providence
Richard Jenkins, actor, although born in Illinois, resided in Rhode Island for years as director of the state's Trinity Repertory Theater.
Jeff Jillson, Professional Hockey player, North Smithfield
Van Johnson, entertainer, born in Newport
Galway Kinnell - Pulitzer Prize-winning poet; Providence, RI
Paul Konerko, professional baseball player for the Chicago White Sox, born in Pawtucket
Clem Labine, baseball player (Brooklyn Dodgers), born in RI
Jhumpa Lahiri, Pulitzer Prize-winning author; South Kingstown, RI
Napoleon Lajoie, Hall of Fame baseball player, born in Woonsocket, RI
Jesse Leach, former lead singer of Killswitch Engage and current lead singer of Seemless, resides on the Cranston/Providence border
Irving R. Levine, journalist and foreign correspondent, born in Pawtucket
Davey Lopes, baseball player, born in East Providence
H. P. Lovecraft, horror writer, Providence, RI
John McLaughlin (host), political commentator, born in Providence.
Peter Manfredo Jr., TV series The Contender 2nd place finalist, Federal Hill, Providence
Jason Marsden, actor, born in Providence
Debra Messing, actress, raised in East Greenwich, RI
Edwin O'Connor, Pulitzer Prize novelist, grew up in the state.
Oliver Hazard Perry, naval officer, born in South Kingstown
David Rawlings, Musician,Producer, born in North Smithfield.
David Reo, Writer/Blues Guitarist, Cranston
Don Reo, TV Producer, Cranston
Richard Rondeau, American hockey player, member of the US Hockey Hall of Fame, holds the most points in a hockey game (23 points), born in Providence
Hank Soar, NFL player, major league baseball umpire and NBA coach, born in Alton, later a Providence resident
Gilbert Stuart, painter, born in Saunderstown
Mena Suvari, actress, born in Newport
Victor Taveras, physicist, Providence
Meredith Vieira, television personality, born in East Providence
William West, American Revolution general, judge, anti-federalist leader
Abraham Whipple, prominent naval commander during the American Revolution
Roger Williams (theologian), co-founder of colony and early proponent of religious freedom and separation of church and state
James Woods, film actor, born in Warwick

I think I'll celebrate with some stuffies and coffee milk!!
Old 05-15-2008, 01:01 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Whew!!!!!
Old 05-15-2008, 01:14 AM
Platinum member

LOL Bright! There are more but I think I got my point across! I have researched and the author is "unknown". It has been blogged since at least 2005 :bigthumbsup:
Old 05-15-2008, 01:16 AM
Soaring Eagle member

LOL Ronda...luv ya!
Old 05-16-2008, 12:50 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Ronda
You need a hobby.........

In my post I stated the that "it makes me sad when someone's pet is hit by a car unless of course I'm driving that car".
In your hast to punch holes in my post you've neglected to mention this and it changes everything...........

xxooxoo Fumar

ps I was in RI once I think. I was yawning at the time.......

psps Of course the Author is Unknown, I've just never taken credit for it........ ;D

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.