The Future of Florida

Closed Thread
Old 01-18-2023, 07:51 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by La lamy View Post
I'd agree with your list and add worsening weather/storms. But not in TV, please?!.....
Yes. Agree.

Plus more homelessness, more aggressive drivers & less education
Old 01-18-2023, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael G. View Post
What's your gut feeling about the future of state of Florida?

Maybe it's something at our age we shouldn't concern ourselves with now because we'll be long gone,
but my list below seems to be coming faster every year.
The population growth from people moving in the state is running wild which effects:

traffic, (including golfcarts and water sports),
crowds at entertainment venues,
prices of housing,
Unemployment,
crowded health care centers,
overcrowded restaurants with poor service or food,
rising sea water reducing building lots,
out of control insurance rates, home and auto,
increase in crime.
I for one am concerned about the attitude of those who say "who cares about what happens in the future, we will all be dead anyway." Selfish to the core. Woke-dumb is a threat to the nation and FL. T V is turning into nothing more than an opportunity to be landlords. I get your concerns.
Old 01-18-2023, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dond1959 View Post
i was born and raised in jacksonville and lived here most of my life. I would say the most dramatic changes in my life time have occurred from orlando and north due to growth. Orlando used to be nothing before disney and all the other amusement park companies moved in. South florida has always been a “pit” in my opinion (and my wife was born and raised in miami). Florida will remain a destination for retirees and tourists as long as the col remains affordable compared to where they came from.

All the other “issues” you list have been here forever. None of us have a crystal ball to say what is going to happen so we might as well enjoy this beautiful place that we live in and enjoy the time we have left on this earth.
go jags!
Old 01-18-2023, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deandd View Post
Most, if not all, of these issues affect the entire country. Crime, even major ones, now go unpunished/under punished … crime goes up and gets more violent … outcome as expected. The government pays more to stay home than to work .. many stay home .. expected…. More people than ever fleeing to Florida to avoid high taxes, crime, woke politics, inclement weather, etc … while it is sometimes frustrating locally it is better than the overwhelming number of alternatives … aka .. NY, NJ, Chicago, California, Portland, Minneapolis, …. I could name quite a few more …
Major crimes go unpunished because these days, it’s who you know, or how good your attorney is at finding loopholes. Poor people that commit crimes are locked up for years, where a wealthy person is locked up for 5 months for the same crime. The inconsistency has always been there.

There is no avoiding crimes. Doesn’t matter what state, or what major city, or it’s politics. All major cities have crime and homelessness. I lived in Los Angeles for 35 years and never once experienced any crime. It was there, like any city, but you know in any city not to go walking alone after dark downtown….whether it’s Kansas City, Huntsville, or Jacksonville.

Get over the fact that during COVID people got perks because their jobs shut down for months. Deal with it. It was the moral thing to do…to help them. Now, people are working and LOW unemployment. Most nonservice jobs switched their workers to working from home, rather than an office. That will never change. It was the right thing to do. From here forward , we will always need workers for service jobs, because those are the lowest paid, and you can’t work from home. Who wants that, when you can get a job working from home these days? Who wants to wait on tables, when you can set your own hours, have your kids with you, and do shopping and deliveries for other people whenever you want to do it (Instacart) and make as much or more money?

Now…explain to me what “woke” exactly means, because the opposite of “woke”, is to be “asleep”,
Old 01-18-2023, 08:28 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by djplong View Post
Claremont FL.
FYI - it's Clermont. You can still find what you described, just not in that area.
Old 01-18-2023, 08:35 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Full disclosure - I turned 60 a few months ago.

Around 1990 or so, when I thought of retirement, I thought of Florida. As a child in the 60s, I lived in Miami Beach for a while. I'd been back to Florida a few times and liked it. I'd look at a map and found what I thought was the perfect combination of what I was looking for when it came to location. Claremont FL.

In 1991, I found my birth parents (I was adopted) and it turned out my father lived in Florida. I went for a visit to Inverness and noticed that I could take a route through Claremont to get there from where I was (on a leisure trip for a convention). I liked what I saw and I kinda stored that away for future reference..

Set the wayback machine something over 15 years later. Again, I'm heading to Inverness. Again, coming from the Orlando area (I live in NH) I decide to go through Claremont.

It was... Depressing. All the orange groves were gone. Strip malls, parking lots and cookie cutter developments blanketed the area. I literally felt the little dream I had evaporate in my head as I drove through.

So, I have no idea where I'm going to retire to... And I'm running out of time to decide...
NH would be the perfect place to retire (if it was 10 to 20 degrees warmer).
Old 01-18-2023, 09:09 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,682 Times in 1,534 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ptmckiou View Post
Major crimes go unpunished because these days, it’s who you know, or how good your attorney is at finding loopholes. Poor people that commit crimes are locked up for years, where a wealthy person is locked up for 5 months for the same crime. The inconsistency has always been there.

There is no avoiding crimes. Doesn’t matter what state, or what major city, or it’s politics. All major cities have crime and homelessness. I lived in Los Angeles for 35 years and never once experienced any crime. It was there, like any city, but you know in any city not to go walking alone after dark downtown….whether it’s Kansas City, Huntsville, or Jacksonville.

Get over the fact that during COVID people got perks because their jobs shut down for months. Deal with it. It was the moral thing to do…to help them. Now, people are working and LOW unemployment. Most nonservice jobs switched their workers to working from home, rather than an office. That will never change. It was the right thing to do. From here forward , we will always need workers for service jobs, because those are the lowest paid, and you can’t work from home. Who wants that, when you can get a job working from home these days? Who wants to wait on tables, when you can set your own hours, have your kids with you, and do shopping and deliveries for other people whenever you want to do it (Instacart) and make as much or more money?

Now…explain to me what “woke” exactly means, because the opposite of “woke”, is to be “asleep”,
Not so sure about that. Prior to coming here I utilized my MN permit-to-carry on a daily basis. Here, even though I have a Florida permit, I haven't even carried once. Just haven't felt the need.

In my opinion this has everything to do with the local law enforcement. They obviously know who the petty troublemakers are, and keep the heat turned up on them. I read V - N on a daily basis; I don't know how many times I've read articles about someone being stopped for no license plate illumination, inappropriately stopping at a stop sign, etc. etc., followed by a drug dog "alerting" to the vehicle with the occupant(s) then being arrested for possession, drug paraphernalia, illegal weapons, you name it. But the point is, virtually all the articles in that particular publication are similar to this; virtually all petty crime. Possession. Shoplifting. Drunk and disorderly. Things that wouldn't even be mentioned should they occur in the northern cities that many of us come from.

Florida, at least around here, values its law-enforcement officers and supports them. As long as that continues I really don't see crime becoming a major issue around here.
Old 01-18-2023, 09:38 AM

Quote:

Maybe it's something at our age we shouldn't concern ourselves with now because we'll be long gone,
The population growth from people moving in the state is running wild which effects:

prices of housing,
Unemployment,
increase in crime.
I'm glad I'm closer to the end than the beginning.
Old 01-18-2023, 09:48 AM
Default Why

I’m sorry, but I’m retired (26 1/2 years in the USAF), haven’t missed any meals got a great wife, cute dog means to defend my wife and dog, why should I worry about all this stuff? Can’t do much if anything about it, most of the people that can are corrupt only care about how to stay in power. So be nice to one another and be happy!
Old 01-18-2023, 09:49 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,066 Times in 534 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ptmckiou View Post

That's easy, woke is being aware of and actively attentive to important societal facts and issues (especially issues of racial and social justice). I'll never understand why caring about others is considered a bad thing.
Old 01-18-2023, 09:58 AM
Default Not Worried

Quote:

prices of housing,
Unemployment,
increase in crime.
I’ve only been here two years but don’t I don’t see these problems. Sure, inflation is high at the moment and but that’s all cyclical.

Stop doom scrolling and get out and enjoy life. I do.
Old 01-18-2023, 10:55 AM

Quote:

prices of housing,
Unemployment,
increase in crime.

Dont worry about it unless you want to live in a cave! Nothing anyone can do but to thank the admin for opening up the borders. Its not different or any better here in ARizona either............my ins just got hit with a 300 raise! on the house. Our crime is going up wrong way drivers at least once a week if not more hit and runs quite oftern high heat levels and did I say NO water? we are running quite low but yet they keep building! I bought In TV and noticed things that we dont have here. Traffic was much lighter too......homes are half the price of what you pay here!
Old 01-18-2023, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Full disclosure - I turned 60 a few months ago.

Around 1990 or so, when I thought of retirement, I thought of Florida. As a child in the 60s, I lived in Miami Beach for a while. I'd been back to Florida a few times and liked it. I'd look at a map and found what I thought was the perfect combination of what I was looking for when it came to location. Claremont FL.

In 1991, I found my birth parents (I was adopted) and it turned out my father lived in Florida. I went for a visit to Inverness and noticed that I could take a route through Claremont to get there from where I was (on a leisure trip for a convention). I liked what I saw and I kinda stored that away for future reference..

Set the wayback machine something over 15 years later. Again, I'm heading to Inverness. Again, coming from the Orlando area (I live in NH) I decide to go through Claremont.

It was... Depressing. All the orange groves were gone. Strip malls, parking lots and cookie cutter developments blanketed the area. I literally felt the little dream I had evaporate in my head as I drove through.

So, I have no idea where I'm going to retire to... And I'm running out of time to decide...

Dont bother to come to ARizona! We are over crowded things have changed alot here since 95 crazy drivers Californians moving here very high home prices that are out of reach along with the rents NO WATER we are in a shortage and have been asked to reduce use we are now a BLUE state ugh home ins got raised........Yes its a bit cheaper than Florida but Arizona is out growing it self with not much to do but stay indoors from April or May till October........BTW not many are that friendly here either.........I bought in florida. I cant downsize here at all......let alone have 3,000 clubs
Old 01-18-2023, 11:04 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,368 Times in 2,396 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karmanng View Post
Dont bother to come to ARizona! We are over crowded things have changed alot here since 95 crazy drivers Californians moving here very high home prices that are out of reach along with the rents NO WATER we are in a shortage and have been asked to reduce use we are now a BLUE state ugh home ins got raised........Yes its a bit cheaper than Florida but Arizona is out growing it self with not much to do but stay indoors from April or May till October........BTW not many are that friendly here either.........I bought in florida. I cant downsize here at all......let alone have 3,000 clubs
Wow, that’s a really long sentence.
Old 01-18-2023, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorbill1 View Post
Have been in Florida for over 40 years and same things you mentioned were here 40 years ago. The only thing that did change is we now have the mentality of a deep south state with the latest migration of people.
Her point/concern is well taken. Florida has changed quite a bit in 40 years. It's population has more than doubled, which causes the problems that the original post brings to light!
Closed Thread

Tags
state, water, future, florida, golfcarts

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.