Manatees

Closed Thread
Old 02-13-2008, 02:57 AM
Default Manatees

Hi has anyone gone to swim with the manatees. We are thinking of going to Crystal River to see them as it's not that far and sounds like fun. Thanks.
Old 02-13-2008, 03:15 AM
Sage
Default Re: Manatees

We visited the Blue Spring State Park in Orange City, an hour or so drive from TV, and walked along the shore right next to the Manatees.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blue_Spring_State_Park
Da Chicago So Side; The Village of Park Forest, IL; 3/7 Cav, 3rd Inf Div, Schweinfurt, Ger 65-66; MACV J12 Saigon 66-67; San Leandro, Hayward & Union City, CA (San Francisco East Bay Area) GO DUBS ! (aka W's)
Old 02-13-2008, 01:55 PM
Sage

We went to Crystal River and took a boat tour to see the Manatees. It was cool that day so they were "hibernating" in one area, and trying to stay warm. It was wonderful to see them. Frannie, I'm sure you'll pick a warm day to swim with the Manatees.

Chuck, I'd love directions to Blue Spring State Park in Orange City.

Barefoot (who doesn't trust Map Quest)
Old 02-13-2008, 02:40 PM
Banned

The manatees are great! Have gone diving at Crystal River and Blue Spring several times. Swimming near manatees can be a lot of fun, but there's a couple of things to consider when doing so:

1. They are protected - contact with them (touching, feeding, etc.) can result in an unwanted experience with park rangers.

2. They are l a r g e. Once found myself between two who kept creeping closer and closer to the point where I had no way up-or-down (shallow water) and getting mashed between them was something I really didn't want to experience.

3. They are cute. They're like oversized couch-potato dogs who have no fear and move v e r y slowly.

4. They love warmer water, which is why Crystal River and Blue Spring (70-degree temp water spring-fed into area) are winter-time popular manatee haunts. Crystal River has them year-round, but Blue Spring is very seasonal.

For those who don't SCUBA, snorkling at both locations is fine. The water at 66-70 degrees can seem pretty chilly for some of us (me in particular) so some kind of wetsuit (polartec is okay) may be desirous.

Crystal River has a couple of decent seafood restaurants in the area as well.

Old 02-14-2008, 12:12 AM
Sage

Barefoot:

Take 441/27 North (or 301 North) to SR 42 (or if you live near Nancy Lopez, just take Buena Vista North to SR 42)

Right turn on to SR 42 East about 40 miles to SR 44

Left on SR 44 into Deland and right on US 17/92 (or could be a right on 15A and then a right on 17/92 - your choice)

Go south on 17/92 to Orange City, about 5 miles. Make a right onto West French Avenue - the park is in a wooded area on the left.

About 75 minute drive

Da Chicago So Side; The Village of Park Forest, IL; 3/7 Cav, 3rd Inf Div, Schweinfurt, Ger 65-66; MACV J12 Saigon 66-67; San Leandro, Hayward & Union City, CA (San Francisco East Bay Area) GO DUBS ! (aka W's)
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.