Garrison Keillor says fired over alleged improper behavior

Closed Thread
Old 11-29-2017, 07:16 PM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

If this story is accurate, it is a prime example of a witch hunt. It was a single incident. It was a touching of bare skin on the back. It was not a groping. It was not even alleged that an inappropriate comment was made. I’m not a Keillor fan but he certainly doesn’t deserve this type of treatment for a single incident.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 11-29-2017, 07:55 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,950 Times in 829 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwitch View Post
If this story is accurate, it is a prime example of a witch hunt. It was a single incident. It was a touching of bare skin on the back. It was not a groping. It was not even alleged that an inappropriate comment was made. I’m not a Keillor fan but he certainly doesn’t deserve this type of treatment for a single incident.
You could be right, but I doubt they would fire him if that is all there is to the story. MPR found out about this a month ago and looks like they investigated. I doubt they would fire one of their headliners over nothing.

Last month, MPR was notified of the allegations which relate to Mr. Keillor’s conduct while he was responsible for the production of A Prairie Home Companion (APHC). MPR President Jon McTaggart immediately informed the MPR Board Chair, and a special Board committee was appointed to provide oversight and ongoing counsel. In addition, MPR retained an outside law firm to conduct an independent investigation of the allegations
Old 11-29-2017, 08:09 PM
Platinum member
Angry Witch Hunt, indeed.

Quote:
Keillor also says the touching was inadvertent, that he apologized immediately, and the apology was accepted.

I don't like Keillor's politics, but have been a fan of Prairie Home Companion for decades. He was an outstanding teller of tales, with a gentle wit. It's a shame that Minnesota Public Radio will no longer rebroadcast the old shows.

This is, as redwitch says, a prime example of a witch hunt. Keillor was already retired from on-air broadcasting. This charge against him was obviously a move for money.

Old 11-29-2017, 08:22 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl in Tampa View Post
Keillor also says the touching was inadvertent, that he apologized immediately, and the apology was accepted.

I don't like Keillor's politics, but have been a fan of Prairie Home Companion for decades. He was an outstanding teller of tales, with a gentle wit. It's a shame that Minnesota Public Radio will no longer rebroadcast the old shows.

This is, as redwitch says, a prime example of a witch hunt. Keillor was already retired from on-air broadcasting. This charge against him was obviously a move for money.

Keillor says... That's his story. Have you heard from the accuser yet?

Whatever it was, it was enough for MPR to completely sever the relationship. They’re cutting loose from all of Keillor’s commercial venues, and will no longer run PHC “best of” shows that Keillor hosted. He’s morphing from their most prominent celebrity into an Unperson as we speak. If that was just over a consensual affair, it would be a wild overreaction.

Move for money? Why would MPR fire their moneymaking headliner over nothing?
Old 11-29-2017, 08:59 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,508 Times in 1,908 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:

I agree.
Old 11-29-2017, 11:37 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,320 Times in 2,057 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodLife View Post

Whatever it was, it was enough for MPR to completely sever the relationship. They’re cutting loose from all of Keillor’s commercial venues, and will no longer run PHC “best of” shows that Keillor hosted. He’s morphing from their most prominent celebrity into an Unperson as we speak. If that was just over a consensual affair, it would be a wild overreaction.

The climate of the time with sexual harassment becoming a topic of the hour. Lawyers will sue on anything if there is money to be had. And in my experience will not even take meritorious cases if there is no money to make. It is about the green.

The accused's character and other instances should be taken into account.
Old 11-30-2017, 12:30 AM
Platinum member
Unhappy Money for victimhood.

Quote:

Quote:

Perhaps I was unclear. The "move for money" was on the part of the woman making the complaint. Her lawyer contacted Keillor. I'm sure it was to see how much he was willing to pay to hush up the incident.

Old 11-30-2017, 07:44 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,039 Times in 373 Posts

Quote:
Once again, I agree with Redwitch: He made an excellent comment for the press after the firing. Read his comments, they ring true with me.

Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about!

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak
Old 11-30-2017, 08:25 AM
Sage
Location: The Villages and the Northern Neck on the Chesapeake Bay, VA.
Thanked 3,112 Times in 1,344 Posts

Glad I am not important. I might have done at least one or two things stupid in my life.
Old 11-30-2017, 08:32 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,320 Times in 2,057 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madelaine Amee View Post
Once again, I agree with Redwitch: He made an excellent comment for the press after the firing. Read his comments, they ring true with me.
They seemed sincere to me too. The woman seems to have been a friend after that happened. I had a "friend" who did something much worse than this in the Summer of 1988 and I tried to distance myself from him as far as possible. The lady did not do that She stayed friendly with Garrison Keillor. And now she is suing when the nation is full of sexual harassment allegations and lawyers looking to collect.
Old 12-01-2017, 03:23 PM
Platinum member

Funny how many here are willing to forgive Keillor based on one report with quotes on his side of story. MPR has known about this for a month, hired a lawyer to investigate, and they have decided to sever all connections. He was their star performer and moneymaker, they did not take this decision lightly.

Keillor himself issued a non denial saying he "didn't want to argue this" and has "had a great run"

I am pretty sure you have not heard the whole story.
Old 12-01-2017, 04:11 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,508 Times in 1,908 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Funny how many here are willing to forgive Keillor based on one report with quotes on his side of story. MPR has known about this for a month, hired a lawyer to investigate, and they have decided to sever all connections. He was their star performer and moneymaker, they did not take this decision lightly.

Keillor himself issued a non denial saying he "didn't want to argue this" and has "had a great run"

I am pretty sure you have not heard the whole story.
I think you are a female, Goodlife, Am I right?

I feel for men who can have their life ruined with a false report. Sometimes a person's good name is forever tarnished due to someone who felt anger toward him for any number of things.
Old 12-01-2017, 04:21 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
I think you are a female, Goodlife, Am I right?

I feel for men who can have their life ruined with a false report. Sometimes a person's good name is forever tarnished due to someone who felt anger toward him for any number of things.
Gracie Dear, it matters not what gender I am. I am merely responding to news reports and comments here on this matter. The fact that MPR investigated this for a month with an independent lawyer and concluded the network should sever all relations with Keillor speaks volumes to me.

It doesn't matter whether you like Keillor or not.
Old 12-01-2017, 04:46 PM
fw102807

To me the difference is whether these men used a position of power to intimidate and degrade another person. If what he claims that he simply put his hand on her bare back and then apologized is true then this to me would not qualify as predatory just poor judgement, but he has stated that is all he can "remember". No one has actually heard what he is being accused of.
Old 12-01-2017, 04:50 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fw102807 View Post
To me the difference is whether these men used a position of power to intimidate and degrade another person. If what he claims that he simply put his hand on her bare back and then apologized is true then this to me would not qualify as predatory just poor judgement, but he has stated that is all he can "remember". No one has actually heard what he is being accused of.
Exactly, but if they like Keillor they are willing to forgive.
Closed Thread

Tags
dropping, flies, behavior, improper, keillor

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.