Gift Card Scam

Closed Thread
Old 02-15-2021, 11:58 AM
Default possible fix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Coen View Post
I received an email stating a large screen TV had been purchased by me. The email appeared authentic, as from Amazon, in every way. When I called the number listed, a person answered as “Amazon”. I was on the phone for a protracted period, trying to work with the guy to get the purchase cancelled. He tried several times to get me to allow remote access to my computer and I kept refusing to do so. Eventually, however, one of the fixes he proposed must have granted him access. He said Amazon wanted to refund the price of the TV and he wanted to add $400 to my checking account just as a verification amount, then he would add the remainder if the 400 went through. He admonished me to be very careful when entering the 400 on the line provided on the screen. I did so, but very quickly another zero and decimal and two zeros were added, appearing as $4000.00. He blamed me for the “error” and when I adamantly denied it, he said my computer was old. He sounded quite concerned and was anxious about how that excess money was going to revert back to him. He displayed an authentic-looking account ledger showing the deposit. He said Amazon did not allow him access to our credit card or bank account, that we needed to purchase gift cards at Best Buy and read the numbers on the back to him. He told me to leave my laptop on and he stayed on the phone with me while we drove to Best Buy. When we reached the parking lot, he said the clerk might ask why I was buying the cards since the amount was $2000.00 (the difference between the price of the TV and the $4000 supposedly in my account). He said I would need to tell her it was for my grandchildren, otherwise I would be charged tax on it. I said (repeatedly) that I would not lie. I would pay the tax. He kept insisting that saying it was for grandchildren wasn’t really a lie. Anyway, when I kept refusing to do as he asked, he became nasty, saying I was threatening him with the loss of his job. I told him I would be happy to send a check or give permission for Amazon to charge me for the overage, but he kept on. Finally, he said I would have a surprise when I got back home because he would wipe everything off my computer. He said, four letter words toward Donald Trump and Joe "Boodin.” And hung up. When we got home, sure enough, everything was wiped from my laptop.
I called our bank to see if they could in some way trace the deposit the caller said he made. It turned out that he never had any contact with the bank. No deposit was made, even though he was able to produce on the screen an authentic-appearing bank account page that showed the $4000 deposit. It turns out also that the caller had no contact with Amazon either. The entire situation was a fraud.
download and run unhide from major geeks, this may bring your data and files back, goodluck
Old 02-15-2021, 06:04 PM
Default Nothing in this life is Free.

Remember, Nothing in this is free.....If you receive text, email, call, letter, stating something you did not buy, or something is free, reward, gift... Stop immediately. If you want to verify if there is a problem, go directly to the organization's website (Amazon, Ebay, Social Security, etc). then you can determine if something is wrong or you are being scammed. Never click on the link in the digital document you received, unless you know it is authentic.
Old 02-15-2021, 06:52 PM

I have every credit card company I do business with notify me by text messaging and email for any purchase over $10. If I get a suspect email and don't get a text then something is wrong. We were recently in Sam's paid for our items via a Discover card and before we were out the door past the person who checks your receipt with the order Discover Card Services texted me that I had made a purchase for the dollar amount.
Old 02-15-2021, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Coen View Post
I received an email stating a large screen TV had been purchased by me. The email appeared authentic, as from Amazon, in every way. When I called the number listed, a person answered as “Amazon”. I was on the phone for a protracted period, trying to work with the guy to get the purchase cancelled. He tried several times to get me to allow remote access to my computer and I kept refusing to do so. Eventually, however, one of the fixes he proposed must have granted him access. He said Amazon wanted to refund the price of the TV and he wanted to add $400 to my checking account just as a verification amount, then he would add the remainder if the 400 went through. He admonished me to be very careful when entering the 400 on the line provided on the screen. I did so, but very quickly another zero and decimal and two zeros were added, appearing as $4000.00. He blamed me for the “error” and when I adamantly denied it, he said my computer was old. He sounded quite concerned and was anxious about how that excess money was going to revert back to him. He displayed an authentic-looking account ledger showing the deposit. He said Amazon did not allow him access to our credit card or bank account, that we needed to purchase gift cards at Best Buy and read the numbers on the back to him. He told me to leave my laptop on and he stayed on the phone with me while we drove to Best Buy. When we reached the parking lot, he said the clerk might ask why I was buying the cards since the amount was $2000.00 (the difference between the price of the TV and the $4000 supposedly in my account). He said I would need to tell her it was for my grandchildren, otherwise I would be charged tax on it. I said (repeatedly) that I would not lie. I would pay the tax. He kept insisting that saying it was for grandchildren wasn’t really a lie. Anyway, when I kept refusing to do as he asked, he became nasty, saying I was threatening him with the loss of his job. I told him I would be happy to send a check or give permission for Amazon to charge me for the overage, but he kept on. Finally, he said I would have a surprise when I got back home because he would wipe everything off my computer. He said, four letter words toward Donald Trump and Joe "Boodin.” And hung up. When we got home, sure enough, everything was wiped from my laptop.
I called our bank to see if they could in some way trace the deposit the caller said he made. It turned out that he never had any contact with the bank. No deposit was made, even though he was able to produce on the screen an authentic-appearing bank account page that showed the $4000 deposit. It turns out also that the caller had no contact with Amazon either. The entire situation was a fraud.
Duh, you should have realized it was a scam from jump street. Hope they didn’t actually “hurt” your computer or access any of your banking or credit card accounts. Keep a watchful eye.
Old 02-15-2021, 08:29 PM

I’m so sorry this happened to you. My mother was scammed last week and it has been a nightmare. A pop up came up while she was on her computer along with a loud warning that her computer had been hacked and to call “Microsoft”. She called the number and they also planted a tech viewer application on her computer and scammed her for $2000! I luckily was able to stop payment and we also closed all of her accounts and credit cards. They were on her computer for two hours and accessed her bank and other private data. They sounded so official because they were “from Microsoft.” I took her computer to Best Buy and had it wiped. Gee whiz what a mess! I told my mom never to pay anyone without running it by me first, and that she should never call any number like that. She learned a hard lesson.
Old 02-16-2021, 08:33 PM
Default Amazom scam

I got the same thing. You NEVER answer an email that says "amazon customer" or any other company. Paypal says never accept an email to you that doesn't include your full name.
Before you go any further on that email you should check Amazon, your orders. You'll see nothing.
Send email to Amazon spoof
delete
Old 02-21-2021, 10:38 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,336 Posts

tl;dfr

Just my opinion but sorry, while I know people often get scammed I just don't believe this post. It's the very first post by someone who registered 2 years ago PLUS the "story" is just too obvious AND it's such an old scam. There are so many "first posts" from users on this forum who have signed up 2 - 6 years ago and never posted before and often never back again after the post. Almost sounds like something to generate posts for other reasons. I could be very wrong, but if so the poster REALLY is gullible.
Old 02-23-2021, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eclairela View Post
Never call or email these scammers. They will take your money. Ignore all of them.
If you look on youtube there are people whose whole pages are dedicated to mesing with scammers by calling them. Some even trace the where the scammer is calling from and erase there files. One even accessed the security cameras in the call center to see who was making the calls. Some of the videos are quite entertaining. You get to see how the scammers work.
Old 02-25-2021, 03:47 PM

I got a call from “lawyers Office” (no name) wanting to talk to me about my winnings! What winnings? I just hung up
Closed Thread

Tags
amazon, account, deposit, bank, back

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.