Giving money to street homeless

Closed Thread
Old 07-26-2019, 06:31 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jima64 View Post
San Francisco spends over 300 million a year on programs for and problems caused by homeless people,,,, all approximately 5000 of them.
So give, make your shelters, you can't make them change if they like the street life.
Do you have some type of proof or citation, that San Francisco (or any city for that matter)...spends $300M on 5,000 people?
Old 07-26-2019, 06:37 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,515 Times in 3,106 Posts

The only money I've given to a person who didn't do anything to earn it at the time, was a guy with one leg sitting in a wheelchair downtown one day, while I was on my way to lunch. He was groomed, dressed in clean, though old clothes, and smiling. I sat down next to him and we had a conversation, and I gave him $5. It felt good to do that for him, and so I did.

Usually I carry bottles of water in the car and hand one to anyone looking like they could use it, if they're out panhandling. I generally don't give them money. But I've been known to buy someone lunch, or a snack, or share mine with them, and almost always spend time talking with them.

But, I went to college in Boston and was a street performer for several years, and got to know the homeless community in Harvard Square (Cambridge). Some of them were - just long-term druggies who were basically waiting to die. Most of the rest had amazing stories to tell and I was fortunate to have learned many of them. I never gave them money either, but I've shared many quarts of beer, meals, clothing, stories, songs with the folks in the Square over the years, and slept among them in the graveyard behind the church (a favorite spot in the late spring).
Old 07-26-2019, 06:40 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdNoMore View Post
Do you have some type of proof or citation, that San Francisco (or any city for that matter)...spends $300M on 5,000 people?
I don't know about costs, but there are over 9000 folks who fit the definition of "homeless" in the San Francisco Bay Area.
Old 07-26-2019, 06:59 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,426 Times in 2,269 Posts

Quote:
Not San Francisco. But Seattle.. If you believe this article the Seattle metro area spends over $1Billion on 11,643 people..
Over the past five years, Seattle has seen an explosion of homelessness, crime, and addiction. | Christopher F. Rufo, City Journal

Seattle is under siege. Over the past five years, the Emerald City has seen an explosion of homelessness, crime, and addiction. In its 2017 point-in-time count of the homeless, King County social-services agency All Home found 11,643 people sleeping in tents, cars, and emergency shelters. Property crime has risen to a rate two and a half times higher than Los Angeles’s and four times higher than New York City’s. Cleanup crews pick up tens of thousands of dirty needles from city streets and parks every year.

At the same time, according to the Puget Sound Business Journal, the Seattle metro area spends more than $1 billion fighting homelessness every year. That’s nearly $100,000 for every homeless man, woman, and child in King County, yet the crisis seems only to have deepened, with more addiction, more crime, and more tent encampments in residential neighborhoods. By any measure, the city’s efforts are not working.

We've Got Plenty Of Youth.. What We Need Is a Fountain Of SMART!
Old 07-26-2019, 07:04 PM
Gold member
Location: British Columbia, Seattle and Haciendas at Mission Hills

I came to Florida from Seattle and sat on committees for affordable housing and homelessness. It is a phenomenal problem in Seattle and people are living under the bridges and throughout the community. Lots of efforts taking place but the challenges seem to be endless.
Old 07-26-2019, 07:11 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,083 Times in 2,746 Posts

I will give to someone who truly looks handicap and not capable of working. But health young people covered with expensive tattoos and smoking expensive cigarettes claiming they need cash for food won't get a penny from me.
Old 07-26-2019, 07:42 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,020 Times in 1,746 Posts

They are mentally handicapped?
Old 07-26-2019, 07:59 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenswing View Post
Not San Francisco. But Seattle.. If you believe this article the Seattle metro area spends over $1Billion on 11,643 people..
Over the past five years, Seattle has seen an explosion of homelessness, crime, and addiction. | Christopher F. Rufo, City Journal

Seattle is under siege. Over the past five years, the Emerald City has seen an explosion of homelessness, crime, and addiction. In its 2017 point-in-time count of the homeless, King County social-services agency All Home found 11,643 people sleeping in tents, cars, and emergency shelters. Property crime has risen to a rate two and a half times higher than Los Angeles’s and four times higher than New York City’s. Cleanup crews pick up tens of thousands of dirty needles from city streets and parks every year.

At the same time, according to the Puget Sound Business Journal, the Seattle metro area spends more than $1 billion fighting homelessness every year. That’s nearly $100,000 for every homeless man, woman, and child in King County, yet the crisis seems only to have deepened, with more addiction, more crime, and more tent encampments in residential neighborhoods. By any measure, the city’s efforts are not working.

May I suggest a little more research?

The city itself spends about $90M and then $360-$410M is spent by non-profits, which includes the cost of the thousands who are provided homes...so they aren't "homeless."

And that 'estimated' $1BILLION cost in your link...counts a whole lot more than direct money spent on the homeless.

The economics of homelessness in Seattle and King County | McKinsey

Quote:
In total, we estimate a budget of $360 million to $410 million would be needed (Exhibit 4). This is about twice what the system invests today. (In 2017, $196 million was spent on the Crisis Response System, leading to 8,100 exits from homelessness and the sustained support of some 4,000 PSH residents.)

But it is still less than the $1.1 billion that homelessness is estimated to cost the Seattle-area economy as a result of extra policing, lost tourism and business, and the frequent hospitalization of those living on the streets.

Old 07-26-2019, 08:09 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jane032657 View Post
I came to Florida from Seattle and sat on committees for affordable housing and homelessness. It is a phenomenal problem in Seattle and people are living under the bridges and throughout the community. Lots of efforts taking place but the challenges seem to be endless.

As you know, more than most, it's a huge problem in a lot of cities...and isn't getting smaller.

Hopefully, in the near future, innovative methods and the money will be found to start putting a dent...to the problem.
Old 07-26-2019, 08:17 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,319 Times in 2,056 Posts

Everyday Hero: He Meets Homelessness Face to Face

I followed this teacher's-- Tom Rebman's-- posts on Facebook for years about what it is like to be homeless in various Central Florida cities and/or towns.

It is a very complicated issue.
Old 07-26-2019, 08:19 PM
Sage

There are a lot of articles about him--

Teacher nears end of month of homelessness - Orlando Sentinel
Old 07-26-2019, 08:22 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,426 Times in 2,269 Posts

Quote:

May I suggest a little more research?

The city itself spends about $90M and then $360-$410M is spent by non-profits, which includes the cost of the thousands who are provided homes...so they aren't "homeless."

And that 'estimated' $1BILLION cost in your link...counts a whole lot more than direct money spent on the homeless.

The economics of homelessness in Seattle and King County | McKinsey

Money spent is money spent. Whether it's in directed programs, police response, medical care or cleanup.. It's still money spent.

And any way you look at it, it's money that's not providing the results they are hoping for.

And come on.. Saying that money that goes to providing homes doesn't count because they're not "homeless" is splitting hairs. Were they homeless before the homes were provided? Would they be homeless if the homes weren't provided? Most likely.

Regardless of how much is being spent we have a problem. So far we haven't found a solution. Throwing money at it obviously hasn't worked.

Someone once said "You can't solve the homeless problem by making your city a great place to be homeless"..

ETA: And if you look at my post I never said the City of Seattle spends $1Billion.

We've Got Plenty Of Youth.. What We Need Is a Fountain Of SMART!

Last edited by Kenswing; 07-26-2019 at 08:32 PM.
Old 07-26-2019, 08:28 PM

Those on the corner with cardboard signs have never and will never get a dime from me. However, I have given thousands of dollars to homeless shelters and soup kitchens.

The money given on the corners will more than likely go to the local liquor store or worse. I know that 100% of the money that I give directly to the shelters will be used for food and shelter of those who are down on their luck.
Old 07-26-2019, 08:30 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jane032657 View Post
Interesting topic. I am presently volunteering as an Executive Director (my profession) to help open a shelter for the homeless in Daytona/Volusia County where we live part of the year. The word homeless describes a state of being, not a person. The people who are homeless cannot be categorized under one umbrella. Certainly there are some who are fully functional but for whatever reason, prefer this life. However, there are so many people who are not as together as the rest of us. Addictions, Mental Health, Veterans with PTSD and other issues which changed their lives, those who lost their home or their jobs, those disenfranchised for so many sad reasons. Opportunity to get clean, or sober, or cleaned up and have some health care; to have some help getting into housing and job training, and life skill training, sometimes a hand up, sometimes unification with family. One day, take someone to coffee and buy them a meal and hear their story. It is so easy to judge until you get to the heart of the person. Not everyone who is homeless is just wanting to have a sign and a quarter given. People are people, everyone is different. And so many people are a paycheck away from finding themselves destitute. Consider your blessings a gift for your good fortune in life, and offer some hope to someone, even if it is just some kind words. You do not know what a difference you make to someone when you just listen and give a smile and some hope.
I am glad you are posting on Talk of the Villages. My younger brother was homeless for a while after we had to kick him out of the house here in the Villages as he would not stop drinking and lying about it. And he had a DUI with one of our cars. A religious organization in the Tampa Bay area eventually got him off of the street into a stable environment which he lost when he roommate turned out to be a sex offender from Michigan and the media made a huge thing of it even though the roommate had not re-offended. They just did not like this person to be anywhere near kids. Painting with too broad a brush for TV ratings IMHO. And then my late younger brother had the last long bender after getting back on his feet. He found a very good job but losing those daily church contacts to his beloved church made him fall to his illness yet again. He did have a stable environment through the church program but with the loss of that was drawn back into his alcohol addiction eventually due to whatever triggers must have set him off.

Last edited by Taltarzac725; 07-26-2019 at 08:45 PM.
Old 07-26-2019, 09:24 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taltarzac725 View Post
I am glad you are posting on Talk of the Villages. My younger brother was homeless for a while after we had to kick him out of the house here in the Villages as he would not stop drinking and lying about it. And he had a DUI with one of our cars. A religious organization in the Tampa Bay area eventually got him off of the street into a stable environment which he lost when he roommate turned out to be a sex offender from Michigan and the media made a huge thing of it even though the roommate had not re-offended. They just did not like this person to be anywhere near kids. Painting with too broad a brush for TV ratings IMHO. And then my late younger brother had the last long bender after getting back on his feet. He found a very good job but losing those daily church contacts to his beloved church made him fall to his illness yet again. He did have a stable environment through the church program but with the loss of that was drawn back into his alcohol addiction eventually due to whatever triggers must have set him off.
I'm sorry to hear of your loss.

Thing about homelessness - and even beggars on the street corners, is that until and unless you actually speak with them, and hear their story, you have no way of knowing their circumstances. And every single one of us is one mortgage payment, one drink, one surgery recovery painkiller, one tragic traumatic mind-snapping moment away from being in their place.

Does it mean we have any obligation to help every beggar we see, every person who looks down on their luck? Absolutely not. It isn't our obligation. But it is our responsibility to treat them like human beings and not look down on them like they're dirt under our feet. Even a nod of recognition of their existence, is better than how they are usually treated.
Closed Thread

Tags
money, people, homeless, work, giving

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.