Golf Carts: initial and ongoing costs

Closed Thread
Old 12-17-2008, 05:21 PM
Gold member
Default Golf Carts: initial and ongoing costs

I know there have been a number of threads on electric versus gas golf carts with their pros/cons but I still don't know what to budget for a golf cart. Can someone clue me in on some of these questions?
  1. How much would it cost for a reasonably priced and optioned new, 4 seater? Gas versus electric?
  2. If you opted for a used, "late model" version of the above carts, what would be a reasonable price range?
  3. What is the ongoing maintenance cost for gas versus electric? How much do batteries cost and how frequently do they need to be replaced? What are the other maintence costs for gas versus electric?
  4. What is the life expectancy of a cart? I.e., at what age would you generally consider replacing your cart with something because the old one is either tattered, unreliable or costly to maintain? Is there a difference between gas and electric in general life expectancy?
Old 12-17-2008, 10:25 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,368 Times in 2,396 Posts

I looked at items for sale and stopped counting at 15 the number of golf carts for sale. Looking there should give you an idea of used cart price ranges. Requesting info on new carts should be directed to the EasyGo factory outlet and The Villages Golf Carts. I bet they will be glad to give you a quote.
Old 12-17-2008, 11:14 PM

Because you are in Hemingway, buy gas, go anywhere and never run out of juice.

Be sure you want a 4 passanger. You can always rent an additonal cart. Look for a very rough ride for the two rear passengers, less friendly to play golf, and the cover is not as good.

No question that Yamaha is the best gas engine available.

Buy new. LOADED two passenger $9500/ Basic $7000, LOADED four passenger $11,000/ Basic $8500.

Expect $500/year depriciation.

Last edited by Dynasty; 12-17-2008 at 11:17 PM.
Old 12-18-2008, 05:27 AM
Platinum member

We looked at golf carts at the Golf Cart Connection when we were in TV for our closing Dec 01. I really liked the four person Star. It has a flip rear seat and flip up rear foot rest, so that it can easily carry either people or golf clubs.
And, when the foot rest is folded up, I am pretty sure that the cart is the same length as a two seater, making nose in parking better.

I don't know about the merits of buying a Star instead of Club Car, but it is a neat "floor plan". I think that it was $8,000.

If you buy used, be sure to get Village legal tires.
Old 12-18-2008, 09:32 AM
Gold member

I've been through a lot of headaches with a "reconditioned" electric. If I had it to do all over again I would go to The Villages Golf Cart store, buy a NEW gas Yamaha and be done with it.
Old 12-18-2008, 09:43 AM
Soaring Eagle member

If you want to buy a reconditioned cart I highly recommend Golf Cart Connection. You can have the cart built to your specifications, they come with a 3 year bumper to bumper warranty,visit the factory in My Dora and you will quickly see this is no fly-by-night operation. They offer great service, and I have found (for me) my reconditioned electric CLub cart (04-DS) is better than the new Club Cars in may respects....the biggest being speed and hill climb pickup, cheaper in price, customized color (including painted roof) and graphics, and also little things like will a large cooler fit on the back of the new club car (NO)!

Granted I have talked to friends who have had problems with Reconditioned Carts..not certain if they were trying to save a Dollar or just had bad luck, so I will agree not all dealers who sell reconditioned cart are the same. Its buyer beware but there are benfits from buying a reconditioned cart from a reputable dealer and there have been may postings on this board regarding dealer reputations.

I would also heed the warning about buying a 4 seater unless you really need it. They are longer in length which means potential problems in parking, garage space, and manuvering turns especially comming out of the tunnels. You have the same motor but now you are carrying more weight so they are slower. If you get a full roof, you have to get an added golf bag extension which adds even more to the length...if you dont get the golf bag extension you will always have trouble pulling clubs out of your bag. HOwever when family and friends come down, they are fun for all so you have to determine how often that will be and will it only be an additional 2??

Last edited by 784caroline; 12-18-2008 at 09:53 AM.
Old 12-18-2008, 11:34 AM
Gold member

Interesting observations about the downsides of 4-seaters. If you have a 2-seater, how much room is there for groceries if both people go to the store together?
Old 12-18-2008, 12:02 PM
Sage
Default Plenty of room for groceries

NJ,

We have a 2 passenger club car; when not hauling golf clubs, we use the bag well for our 'carry area'. We put in one of those cheapo collapsible laundry hampers and lash it using a bungee cord to the small wire basket area behind the seat. Between the hamper and the wire basket, we easily carry $50 worth of groceries home in the golf cart.

I'm with others about the 2 vs 4 passenger decision....unless you will be using the extra people capacity quite often, you are much better off with 2 than 4. You sacrifice constantly for the rare needs of future visitors. Eventually, you might even consider a second 2 seater...you'll be surprised how often you and your spouse are contending for golf cart privileges. With 2 two-seaters, you're all set for company and each of you have your own cart to buzz off in different directions when you need to.
Old 12-18-2008, 01:40 PM
Platinum member

Not pushing Star Carts, but the advantage of their flip foot rest on the back is that it is a regular size cart when parked and the foot rest up or being used to hold golf bags. That is what appealed to me about the Star.
Old 11-15-2009, 09:54 AM
Default 2007 star electric golf cart 4 seater

I have a 2007 star electric 4 seater golf cart for sale. Like new. Never been used on a golf course. Three horns, seat belts for all four seats! $3400. Call tom 978-356-3566
Old 11-15-2009, 07:12 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJblue View Post
Interesting observations about the downsides of 4-seaters. If you have a 2-seater, how much room is there for groceries if both people go to the store together?
NJBlue, get yourself a mesh 'shopping bag' that hangs where the golf clubs go, and you can hold a LOT of groceries. You can put the case of bottled water in front under the passenger's feet, and if you still need more room you can use the sweater basket and the cooler.

In a pinch (after a 2 shopping cart trip to WalMart when I forgot I brought the golf cart), you can unroll the rain flaps and stuff the rest of the golf cart with the paper towels, pillows, bedspread, etc... It's really amazing how much those 2-seaters hold!
Bossier City, Louisiana
Salt Lake City & Ogden, Utah
The Villages, Florida
Old 11-15-2009, 08:06 PM
Sage

NJblue & uujudy,

You could try this...
The Villages Florida
Old 11-15-2009, 08:22 PM
Platinum member

Hahahaha!
Yep, those 2-seaters can hold a LOT!
Bossier City, Louisiana
Salt Lake City & Ogden, Utah
The Villages, Florida
Old 11-15-2009, 10:20 PM
Soaring Eagle member

geri317, why does the star cart come with 3 horns???....GN

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.