Golf outside the bubble

Old 03-04-2024, 10:13 AM
Default Golf outside the bubble

Have guests visiting end of March. Looking for nicest golf courses outside of the bubble.
Old 03-04-2024, 11:51 AM
Sage
Thanked 12,912 Times in 4,141 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by C4Boston View Post
Have guests visiting end of March. Looking for nicest golf courses outside of the bubble.
Depends on how far you want to go

Juliette Falls in Dunnellon
CC of Ocala
Black Bear in Eustis
El Campion at Mission Inn

and many others
Old 03-04-2024, 07:01 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,044 Times in 731 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfing eagles View Post

CC of Ocala
Black Bear in Eustis

and many others

Cabot Citrus Farms (the former World Woods) might open some day. So far, they're about a year behind the original schedule, but I think they'll make June - July, for at least part of the facility.
Old 03-04-2024, 08:40 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,912 Times in 918 Posts

Deer Island Country Club, Tavaras, very nice scenery
Home - Deer Island Country Club

Country Club of Mt Dora, off 441
Country Club of Mt. Dora

As Golfing eagles mentioned, El Campeon is the championship course at Mission Inn
and there is a second one, which is not as tough.
https://missioninnresort.com/

Want to go competitive, then go to Orange National, which has hosted many PGA qualifiers. . .
Home - Orange County National Golf Center and Lodge

have fun! its better golfing outsie the bubble, and the prices might just be better during the week.
Old 03-04-2024, 10:53 PM

Cabot Citrus Farms is NOT behind schedule. It’s been open for a month. The former Pine Barrens, now named Karoo is fabulous…$210 includes tax and cart. The second course is expected to open June-ish. You won’t recognize, in a good way, the quality. Half the distance from the Bubble compared to Streamsong, less costly, and best challenge.

Tee times a bit hard to come by.
Old 03-05-2024, 05:20 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by P A Paul View Post
Cabot Citrus Farms is NOT behind schedule. It’s been open for a month. The former Pine Barrens, now named Karoo is fabulous…$210 includes tax and cart. The second course is expected to open June-ish. You won’t recognize, in a good way, the quality. Half the distance from the Bubble compared to Streamsong, less costly, and best challenge.

Tee times a bit hard to come by.

They were originally supposed to open last year. That said, I didn't know the former Pine Barrens was actually open. I'm on their mailing list, but the last thing I got from them, was last December. They said there were "limited tee times" available, at a non-specific date in the future. Apparently the future is now?

I had a World Woods "membership" thingie for about 5 years, when I lived in Trinity. Typically, it was between $27-$50 to play. Although at one point, it got ridiculously cheap. I paid $17 to play it once and that came with a hot dog & coke. Things have changed a lot in 10 years, huh?

How does Cabot Citrus compare with Streamsong, other than being 1/2 the price?

Thanks for the info.

Last edited by BrianL99; 03-05-2024 at 05:51 AM.
Old 03-05-2024, 07:01 AM

It’s half the DISTANCE, not half the price.

Each driving range station has personal golf tracker, unlimited balls, no extra fee.
Practice putting green the “size of Rhode Island” including 18 hole putting course complete with “tees and pin flags”.

Greens completely re-modeled, 10,000 square feet each, running 10.5 stemp, buried elephants create extraordinary putting opportunities.
Old 03-05-2024, 07:13 AM
Sage
Thanked 12,912 Times in 4,141 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by P A Paul View Post
It’s half the DISTANCE, not half the price.

Each driving range station has personal golf tracker, unlimited balls, no extra fee.
Practice putting green the “size of Rhode Island” including 18 hole putting course complete with “tees and pin flags”.

Greens completely re-modeled, 10,000 square feet each, running 10.5 stemp, buried elephants create extraordinary putting opportunities.
Really? Care to rethink that? Hint: It is about 1/2 the distance.

Current pricing at Streamsong:

Green fee---$419 not including cart fee of $35pp and group caddy fee of $45pp and caddy tip= $499 + tip and maybe tax

Resort guests are $319

So, in retrospect you were correct: It's NOT 1/2 the price, it's LESS THAN 1/2 the price
Old 03-05-2024, 07:54 AM
Veteran member

Quote:

CC of Ocala
Black Bear in Eustis

and many others
Juliette Falls is by far the best course in this list. Played Black Bear recently, and it wasn't in very good shape.

Lake Jovita is the best course I've played within an hour of The Villages. It's a bit pricey in the morning, but after 1pm the price drops to a reasonable amount.
Old 03-05-2024, 10:22 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Really? Care to rethink that? Hint: It is about 1/2 the distance.

Current pricing at Streamsong:

Green fee---$419 not including cart fee of $35pp and group caddy fee of $45pp and caddy tip= $499 + tip and maybe tax

Resort guests are $319

So, in retrospect you were correct: It's NOT 1/2 the price, it's LESS THAN 1/2 the price
Streamsong's Green Fees have gone through the roof and they're no longer "walking courses".

I played both the original courses (Red & Blue), the day before they opened to the public, which I think was December 26, 2012. It was a nearly $1000 day. $250/each course. $150/round/caddy. $52 hamburger & a couple of odds & ends. Back in 2012, money was like ... real money.

Their 2nd or 3rd year, when business got slow, Greens Fees in the summer for Florida residents, was $75-$100. That was a sweet deal and I played it few times. Coolest round I ever had there, was playing the Black on Easter Sunday, back in 2019. 4 cars in the parking lot when I got there. It was pretty cool to have the entire facility to ourselves. 37 Putts wasn't good.

I just looked up my scores from Streamsong. Freekin' putting is tough. I played Red & Black one day in March of 2013. 40 Putts on the Red, 34 on the Blue.
Old 03-05-2024, 01:17 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,912 Times in 918 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianL99 View Post
I just looked up my scores from Streamsong. Freekin' putting is tough. I played Red & Black one day in March of 2013. 40 Putts on the Red, 34 on the Blue.
heh heh -> your still an amateur!

Old 03-05-2024, 01:26 PM

Why go outside the bubble? Today's Villages Magazine has a headline on cover that says "Golfer's Paradise Continues to Grow". I assume Paradise refers to TV....and what can be better than Paradise?
Old 03-05-2024, 03:24 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobmarc View Post
Why go outside the bubble? Today's Villages Magazine has a headline on cover that says "Golfer's Paradise Continues to Grow". I assume Paradise refers to TV....and what can be better than Paradise?
Agree, Glenview especially. Would be a $150 a round course if in the Orlando area. Others mentioned Lake Jovita. Played it in November 2023 and Glenview was in better shape.
Old 03-05-2024, 03:58 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkingston57 View Post
Agree, Glenview especially. Would be a $150 a round course if in the Orlando area. Others mentioned Lake Jovita. Played it in November 2023 and Glenview was in better shape.

$150 for Glenview in Orlando? If that was Fee, the course would be empty.

Glenview may have been close to Lake Jovita condition last November, but it surely isn't now.

The problem with LJ, is it used to be private (or mostly private) and the members don't like the unwashed masses, playing their golf course. Some of the worst DB's I've ever run across at a golf course. Although I admit, it's fairly prevalent with courses that had to change direction, when the golf boom ended 15 years ago.

They are good courses. They used to host PGA 2nd Stage Qualifying.
Old 03-05-2024, 06:41 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobmarc View Post
I guess the editors haven't been reading about many of the course conditions around here.

Tags
golf, bubble, guests, visiting, end

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.