Good Idea?

Old 04-20-2024, 05:53 PM
Gold member

I hope Winona Ryder is reading some of these posts!
Old 04-20-2024, 09:08 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,755 Times in 1,531 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugchief View Post
It sounds like you are agreeing with and disputing my post at the same time. Unless that's some sort of sarcasm? In any case, defunding is obviously a progressive ideology and no one on the other side would have any issue with spending more money to rein in crime.
Where is Judge Dredd when you need him?
Old 04-21-2024, 04:46 AM
Default The locking wheel carts have been around for years

[we had them at a grocery store I worked at to keep people from stealing carts. Didn’t work. They picked them up and put them a pick up truck bed!

[/B]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdOfFive View Post
I’m up in Minnesota spending some time with family, and ran into a situation at a.local Home Depot that I’ve never encountered before. Simply put, the brakes on their shopping carts lock up if you try to push them through an open door without paying for your items. They will also lock up if you try to push an EMPTY cart out of the store, which is how we found out. Apparently it is Home Depot’s latest effort to combat shoplifting, which is especially bad in Minnesota at this time.

Good idea?

Any other novel ways by merchants of countering shoplifting that you know of?

Any other ideas from folks how to stem the shoplifting craze?
Old 04-21-2024, 05:09 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
I agree. Amazon sells everything that Home Depot does and most items are at a lower cost. I rarely ever go to Home Depot or Lowes. This week, I received some HVAC filters, refrigerator filters, batteries, toilet paper, and a pair of pliers. Saved time and money.
The majority of Home Depot's profit comes from builders, contractors, and business owners. Amazon cannot compete with the amount of lumber and building supplies that goes in and out of every store daily.

I see quite a bit of shoplifting at Home Depot. I find opened pkgs with product missing frequently. The theft protection carts will help with large thefts as will the locked cages. Most likely, people will still snag small expensive items without concern.

Last edited by Randall55; 04-21-2024 at 05:14 AM.
Old 04-21-2024, 05:58 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,875 Times in 791 Posts

Quote:
I’m up in Minnesota spending some time with family, and ran into a situation at a.local Home Depot that I’ve never encountered before. Simply put, the brakes on their shopping carts lock up if you try to push them through an open door without paying for your items. They will also lock up if you try to push an EMPTY cart out of the store, which is how we found out. Apparently it is Home Depot’s latest effort to combat shoplifting, which is especially bad in Minnesota at this time.

Good idea?

Brakes on shopping carts? What brakes?
Old 04-21-2024, 06:14 AM
Veteran member

How do these carts know they are empty? How do they know you haven’t paid for everything in them? I’m interested in the tech.
Old 04-21-2024, 07:02 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by frayedends View Post
How do these carts know they are empty? How do they know you haven’t paid for everything in them? I’m interested in the tech.
Probably related to the 'toss it in the cart & the system knows what's in there' movement.

"The checkout equipment uses computer vision-based cameras and sensors mounted on the ceiling to monitor shoppers"

This is from an article about the Aldi experiment, but there are others the Amazon Just Walk Out technology for one.

Aldi Is Overhauling Its Checkout Process with the Help of AI
Old 04-21-2024, 07:10 AM
Sage
Location: The Villages and the Northern Neck on the Chesapeake Bay, VA.
Thanked 3,129 Times in 1,352 Posts

Quote:
Agreed. In Minnesota any shoplifting theft under $1000 is a misdemeanor. You can report it but due to police shortages and the proliferation of other more serious crimes (in the eyes of law enforcement anyway) following up on misdemeanors is seen as a waste of time.

We Villagers are extraordinarily lucky to have the law enforcement we have.
That is such a shame our country and laws are so soft. There is no fear of doing wrong.

We have lost faith.
Old 04-21-2024, 07:27 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugchief View Post
It sounds like you are agreeing with and disputing my post at the same time. Unless that's some sort of sarcasm? In any case, defunding is obviously a progressive ideology and no one on the other side would have any issue with spending more money to rein in crime.
Yet right here in FL we are not funding our state troopers properly. Hiring freeze is on, raises frozen also & our troopers are being sent out of state. Makes no sense.

Plenty of crime here & more on the way as the population expands. Not a good scenario & it sends the wrong message
Old 04-21-2024, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
I agree. Amazon sells everything that Home Depot does and most items are at a lower cost. I rarely ever go to Home Depot or Lowes. This week, I received some HVAC filters, refrigerator filters, batteries, toilet paper, and a pair of pliers. Saved time and money.
How did that work out for the 12 sheets of plywood, sheet rock, 48 2x4's, custom color paint, etc.?
Old 04-21-2024, 07:41 AM

Easiest way to stop shoplifters is to start giving them jail time like they used to do. Jail time should be without tv or exercise equipment time. Should be like the Singapore jails. Only time out of cell is to do road side pick up of trash or weeding mowing government property or walking circles in prison yard with no talking.
Old 04-21-2024, 07:50 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,791 Times in 5,285 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by phousel View Post
How did that work out for the 12 sheets of plywood, sheet rock, 48 2x4's, custom color paint, etc.?
Good point, but Amazon does sell construction materials, like 2x4's, plywood, and paint. Fortunately, I don't need to buy that stuff anymore.
Old 04-21-2024, 08:41 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,695 Times in 1,540 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remembergoldenrule View Post
Easiest way to stop shoplifters is to start giving them jail time like they used to do. Jail time should be without tv or exercise equipment time. Should be like the Singapore jails. Only time out of cell is to do road side pick up of trash or weeding mowing government property or walking circles in prison yard with no talking.
Back in the day the jurisdiction I worked for had a program “Sentence To Serve” (AKA “rent-a-con”). Such folks who were convicted of more petty crimes could elect A) a jail sentence; or B) work on. Various municipal projects such as cleaning parks, painting various items, mowing, sodding, etc. for a prescribed length of time. Some were even hired out to private concerns with the benefits going to the County,. It seemed to run about 50-50. The advantage was that the county lockup was less plagued with overcrowding and actually made money on the deal.

Seems as if those convicted of shoplifting would be ideal candidates for such a program.
Old 04-21-2024, 08:43 AM

Quote:

Good idea?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayhawk View Post
How very novel! Would love to know if that idea is actually working!
Old 04-21-2024, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coconutmama View Post
Yet right here in FL we are not funding our state troopers properly. Hiring freeze is on, raises frozen also & our troopers are being sent out of state. Makes no sense.

Plenty of crime here & more on the way as the population expands. Not a good scenario & it sends the wrong message
Link please?

Regardless, state troopers generally don't get involved with shoplifting. That's municipal PD or county sheriff if unincorporated.

Tags
shoplifting, push, home, good, time

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.