GPS didn't work in the Villages

Closed Thread
Old 06-03-2009, 10:01 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taltarzac View Post
My older brother rented a car from the Orlando International Airport with a Garmin Nuvi. This had a Lady with an Australian accent. I wonder if this is the voice you hear in other GPSs?

He called her the B****.
Garmin has many voices, you can change them in the settings.
Suffering from TV envy
Old 06-03-2009, 10:02 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ_Boston View Post
Curious - Do you (those that use GPS in TV) use the GPS in the golf cart around the compound as well?
For the golfer that has everything (Father's Day is coming).
[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Garmin-GPS-8-GolfLogix-GPS-by/dp/B0015IV1Q8/ref=pd_ybh_1?pf_rd_p=280800601&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_t=1501&pf_rd_i=ybh&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&p f_rd_r=1JWBPA4P9NM693V6AV86[/ame]
Suffering from TV envy
Old 06-03-2009, 01:33 PM

Our TomTom has a bunch of voices. We use the British lady for ours. Speaking of voices...I think Gunney, R.Lee Ermy would be great on a GPS. I can only imagine taking a wrong turn after not following his directions. I can hear it now. "All right MAGGOT! I told your sorry *&(% to turn RIGHT back there. Now turn your sorry butt around and GET WITH THE PROGRAM!!!!! ;-)
Old 06-03-2009, 03:15 PM
Eternal Member

Quote:
Curious - Do you (those that use GPS in TV) use the GPS in the golf cart around the compound as well?
I've never really used it to get around, but since it tells you your speed, I did use it to make sure my golf cart went 20 MPH. When I bought the cart, it seemed slow and I wanted to verify it could go "full speed".

Since the tunnels and some of the golf cart paths aren't all on the maps, or even right next to roads, it could be tough using it for routing as it would assume use of the streets. So unless you had a general sense of where to go, it may not help. For instance, those little cut-offs into neighborhoods or between some pathes wouldn't be there.
Old 06-03-2009, 04:05 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Must be just me but I don't see the need to use GPS within The Villages. I've only visited twice for a total of three weeks and had no issues finding anything. A quick look into the Villages map and off we went.

GPS are great for places you have never or rarely visit but not needed, IMHO, around TV. Especially if you live there!
Russ, once you know the lay of the land the GPS becomes less useful I agree but still is a lot of fun to play with. When I was at TV and saw a home in the paper that was having an open house I just punched in the address and off I went. I had about a 85% hit rate on those addresses. It was great for all the places that are outside the plantation that I wanted to try.
Old 07-10-2009, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by conn8757 View Post
I have a new GPS in our car and when I tried to load addresses in it for The Villages or Lady Lake - it would not take them. I know the GPS works because we just took an extensive road trip of several thousand miles and it worked. What am I doing wrong? We were looking in the Hadley, Bonita, St. Charles area - should I have used a different city or the Village name?

Garmin has the 2010 maps out now and I can enter The Villages vs. Lady Lake and it works. It has info now south of 466 but not 466A and it does not have Pennecamp but just recently added Bridgeport of Miona Shores which it didnt have in later part of 2008. It has Bonita etc..

Took me awhile to download then forever to extract but it worked...
Now in my husbands car his built in GPS does not have current info and was told he had to go to the dealer to get it upgraded...

http://www8.garmin.com/cgi-bin/mapge...&rz=0&k=1&sc=1
Old 07-10-2009, 09:48 PM
Default Gps

Try using Lady Lake....we had the same problem but instead of using The Villages it worked...what we loved more was using the GPS outside of The Villages when we took trips to the beaches - my husband wished though that the voice commands weren't female....taking directions from a woman is kinda hard to do ....LOL....anyhow, it works great! We still used the map of the villages in the golf cart...were there for 3 weeks in June and loved every minute we were there. Sun and more sun....not so here in Boston...rain and more rain...it's July and it shoud feel like summer!
Old 07-11-2009, 03:57 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripngirl View Post
my husband wished though that the voice commands weren't female....taking directions from a woman is kinda hard to do ....LOL
All the Garmin's that I have played with the voice can be changed from Jill to Jack. I would check under your language settings.
Old 07-11-2009, 06:19 AM
Veteran member

When I originally purchased my GPS it was to be used for long trips primarily, but I find now that it is great for finding routes to places very close to my home location. Areas which I rarely traveled to although they are within 25 miles of my house are now easily accessible to me. I believe I use it more for close in areas than distant locations.
Old 07-11-2009, 06:48 AM
Default GPS Update

Garmin sells a lifetime update program for $120 on their website. This is compared to an $80 single update at your local store... You get an updated database every three months. We had a GPS in our Lexus and the update was $450!!
Old 07-11-2009, 07:09 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Default Golf Cart Use

I Use the Garmin Nuvi in my Golf Cart to check the speed of the Golf cart. While driving it my passenger calls out the speed as we drive down an open stretch of road.
Old 07-11-2009, 08:11 AM
Veteran member

I have a new Magellan GPS and had to buy an update to get TV.
But what's even more puzzling to me is that AAA doesn't recognize TV at all. It doesn't even recognize Lady Lake.
Old 07-11-2009, 08:52 AM
Veteran member

Mrs. OpusX1 calls our Garmin The Gremlin. "Off route recalculating, Off route recalculating. Make a legal U turn." I like to take the less traveled roads sometimes.
Old 03-26-2010, 03:41 PM
Default Garmin GPS usage

Living in The Villages I had to change my default settings. It's normally set for 'fastest time'. I changed that to 'shortest route'. It seems that many of the roads are 20 mph or less (at least Garmin thinks so) even though Morse, Buena Vista, and El Camino Real are THE roads that get you somewhere and you can drive faster.

Using the normal settings would take at least 33% longer to get from A to B. My GPS is over 2 years old. Maybe the newer units have been corrected. As others have mentioned, I too, cannot input 'The Villages'. Using Lady Lake does not work all the time.
Old 03-26-2010, 04:14 PM
Gold member

I have a Garmin that's 2 or 3 years old. A year or so ago, I updated the maps (downloaded from Garmin), and The Villages is available, as well as most of addresses that were current at that time.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.