Granite or Quartz?

Old 05-09-2024, 07:01 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,188 Times in 1,938 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peazoup View Post
Would love to get opinions on which is best - granite or quartz for a kitchen counter and why one is better than the other. Thanks for any input.
Quartz was my preferred counter tops for our kitchen, baths and laundry room. I wanted maintenance free surfaces. I would always be concerned when the countertop would need to be sealed. I just didn't want that worry, especially in the kitchen.
Old 05-09-2024, 07:18 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santiagogirl View Post
It appears to received relatively little press, but manufactured stone (quartz) countertops were recently banned in Australia. (https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...H9PWx8drs5LYMg). The people working this material can be exposed to extremely dangerous dust, which can destroy the lungs in a relatively short period of time, resulting in lung transplantation or even death. California recently put in place rules to protect workers in this industry, which generally involves small shops and often employees who do not speak English or realize the risks. There are a number of established reports of workers dying in the United States in this industry, typically at a young age. Natural stone is a little less dangerous, but still can cause the same health effects. I plan to use less fashionable materials in my upcoming remodel project. It is not worth killing somebody for a pretty kitchen.
Aren't there particulate respirators that quartz fabricators can use to protect their lungs?
Old 05-09-2024, 07:38 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Location: Drayton Plains, MI, Vietnam, Waterford, MI, Pennacamp, Fernandina, Duval, 1 retired in Richmond
Thanked 1,627 Times in 597 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeebean View Post
Aren't there particulate respirators that quartz fabricators can use to protect their lungs?
Yes there are respirators, but two thing come into play

Quality of product and hours of use.

Bigger problems improperly worn or fit.

Even in a medical facility Have seen TB transmission from patient to staff using a TB and procedure mask. Was it improper fit…No everyone has extensive fit test (hood test with jumping Jax while spraying horrid spay if it leaks you taste it).

It was defective mask.
Old 05-09-2024, 07:46 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,808 Times in 5,291 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeebean View Post
Quartz was my preferred counter tops for our kitchen, baths and laundry room. I wanted maintenance free surfaces. I would always be concerned when the countertop would need to be sealed. I just didn't want that worry, especially in the kitchen.
I agree with Quartz as a better choice over Granite, especially because has a more modern appearance. But, regarding the sealing of Granite, it is recommended annually, but I doubt that many people who have Granite actually comply with the recommendation.
Old 05-09-2024, 09:17 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelegges View Post
Yes there are respirators, but two thing come into play

Quality of product and hours of use.

Bigger problems improperly worn or fit.

Even in a medical facility Have seen TB transmission from patient to staff using a TB and procedure mask. Was it improper fit…No everyone has extensive fit test (hood test with jumping Jax while spraying horrid spay if it leaks you taste it).

It was defective mask.
Makes sense. Thanks.

Tags
granite, quartz, love, kitchen, counter

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.