Granite or Quartz?

Old 04-28-2024, 08:54 AM
Default Granite or Quartz?

Would love to get opinions on which is best - granite or quartz for a kitchen counter and why one is better than the other. Thanks for any input.
Old 04-28-2024, 09:04 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peazoup View Post
Would love to get opinions on which is best - granite or quartz for a kitchen counter and why one is better than the other. Thanks for any input.
If it’s economics, granite is a little cheaper. Aesthetically, not much difference.
Granite is porous and absorbs while quartz is not but is more durable. IMO, its a toss up
Old 04-28-2024, 09:11 AM
Veteran member
Location: Upstate NY, So Fla, Louisiana, So Fla, Santiago and now Bonnybrook

Definitely quartz. Does not absorb so you can wipe up spills pretty easy. Granite absorbs and could be a problem with spills.
Old 04-28-2024, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Quartz is more expensive but does not have to be sealed. It can look a bit monocramatic. Granite has to be sealed regurly but is very durable. I would base my desicion on what pateern colors you like better. I would look at both and tgen decide what you like better. Remember, if you select granite, you will need to select your slabs because the granre can look different from the sample they show you so be sure they allow you to "tag" your slabs.
Old 04-28-2024, 09:20 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,807 Times in 5,291 Posts

Quartz is in, Granite is out.
Old 04-28-2024, 09:35 AM
Gold member

Granite. Granite is sealed to eliminate the absorption. Quartz is harming the workers who fabricate it into countertops. Some jurisdictions are considering bans due to health risks. Also quartz can crack if exposed to sudden temperature changes (think hot pots), or heavy objects and sharp edges.

"Quartz countertops linked to deadly lung disease in workers who fabricate the material... demand for quartz countertops has increased workers' exposure to silica dust, a chemical compound that causes lung damage."

Quartz countertops linked to deadly lung disease in workers

Causes of Cracking in Quartz Countertops | Granite Guy.
Old 04-28-2024, 09:50 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty_Star View Post
Granite. Granite is sealed to eliminate the absorption. Quartz is harming the workers who fabricate it into countertops. Some jurisdictions are considering bans due to health risks. Also quartz can crack if exposed to sudden temperature changes (think hot pots), or heavy objects and sharp edges.

"Quartz countertops linked to deadly lung disease in workers who fabricate the material... demand for quartz countertops has increased workers' exposure to silica dust, a chemical compound that causes lung damage."

Quartz countertops linked to deadly lung disease in workers

Causes of Cracking in Quartz Countertops | Granite Guy.
Since trace amounts of radon are associated with granite as well...and also can be a contributor to lung disease....is your post a lesser of two evils or an environmental justice statement?
Old 04-28-2024, 09:52 AM
Sage
Thanked 14,155 Times in 5,382 Posts

Quartz is much more user friendly and what we recently put in
Old 04-28-2024, 09:58 AM
Sage
Thanked 7,459 Times in 2,549 Posts

I once knocked a glass onto the edge of our granite worktop.
Worktop chipped, glass did not break.
We have quartz now. Much easier to clean and maintain, and still in one piece.
Old 04-28-2024, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Quartz for sure, for both esthetic and functional reasons. Granite choices are usually darker, busier patterns and more dated, design wise. I like the more uniform look of quartz. And I guess I'm lazy and don't want the worry of marking granite if I don't take care of it. Have fun with your new kitchen.
Old 04-28-2024, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty_Star View Post
Also quartz can crack if exposed to sudden temperature changes (think hot pots), or heavy objects and sharp edges..
Agreed. Ours did. I always thought quartz would "take any heat" but I put a hot frying pan naked (no pad or trivet) on our countertop by the stove (my bad) and about 15 minutes we heard what sounded like a gunshot.

There was a hairline crack in our beautiful quartz countertop. You cannot see it due to the marbling/pattern...but you can feel it with a fingernail.

My bad...I should have used basic precautions to prevent this. We did not replace the top--you cannot see the crack but if we ever replace the top I'm sure it will reveal.

Either way--use caution...Quartz will crack...
Old 04-28-2024, 06:36 PM
Sage
Thanked 14,155 Times in 5,382 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmcgowan13 View Post
Agreed. Ours did. I always thought quartz would "take any heat" but I put a hot frying pan naked (no pad or trivet) on our countertop by the stove (my bad) and about 15 minutes we heard what sounded like a gunshot.

There was a hairline crack in our beautiful quartz countertop. You cannot see it due to the marbling/pattern...but you can feel it with a fingernail.

My bad...I should have used basic precautions to prevent this. We did not replace the top--you cannot see the crack but if we ever replace the top I'm sure it will reveal.

Either way--use caution...Quartz will crack...
Ultimate Granite cautioned us about putting hot things directly on the surface.
Old 04-28-2024, 08:50 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,976 Times in 2,482 Posts

I have diamond plated countertops for all you that want to keep up with jones.
Old 04-29-2024, 04:37 AM
Default Quartz v granite

Quote:
They are both good. You can put a hot pan on granite but not quartz.
Old 04-29-2024, 05:39 AM

Neither. Go Quartzite. That is a natural stone, better than Granite. First, it’s beautiful. Second, I’ve had mine over 3 years. It got the initial sealing when they put it in, and other than the normal wiping it down when something gets dropped on it, I have done nothing else to it, and I’ve been told by the installers, who I double-checked with this year, that I probably wouldn’t have to for more years to come. Quartzite is stain resistant, and will not burn, etch, or scratch. I have both Taj Majal and Vanilla in my house. A little more expensive than the other options, but I have no regrets.

Tags
granite, quartz, love, kitchen, counter

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.