Granite or Quartz?

Old 04-29-2024, 09:47 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlejsek@sbcglobal.net View Post
Quartz is more expensive but does not have to be sealed. It can look a bit monocramatic. Granite has to be sealed regurly but is very durable. I would base my desicion on what pateern colors you like better. I would look at both and tgen decide what you like better. Remember, if you select granite, you will need to select your slabs because the granre can look different from the sample they show you so be sure they allow you to "tag" your slabs.
Quartz is FAR from monochromatic - see below- and I have had both and Granite is a pain - don't put hot pots on it, don't spill. Quartz is just about indestructible. Go with the quartz - BTW, This is Cabria, top of the line, and the difference from High end quartz was not that much. Burns Woodworking did it, love them.
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5631.jpg
Views:	207
Size:	63.9 KB
ID:	103901  
Snow Flake until I retire
Old 04-29-2024, 09:51 AM

Had both in our Kitchen. First we had Granite which is a natural stone and can stain if you don't treat it properly. Quartz doesn't stain its basically a thick piece of glass that is simple to keep clean, but can be scrathed it you have a sharp enough knife. If you cut on a board you will not have problems.
Old 04-29-2024, 09:51 AM
Veteran member

You know, the real issue is that whatever counter you have, after you pay, you will use a pad on the counter. Spills are accidents and will happen. Granite stains and quartz does not from my experience. But I was warned no hot pots on Granite, my Cambria installer said nothing would touch it. We still use a pad... Too big an investment not to. It looks AWESOME though.
Snow Flake until I retire
Old 04-29-2024, 12:04 PM
Sage
Thanked 14,157 Times in 5,384 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachKandSportsguy View Post
Our preferences from our research, cost not being a factor until purchase time

Quartzite: best for all conditions, heat included
install next to oven / stove for hot pan usage

Granite: look long, far and wide for the pattern matching, and yes, there is some maintenance, but you are also retired and clean house regularly as well. so you add a chore to the house kleening every 6 months without much effort.
downside is if you take lots of tiny pills, you can lose them in the veining

Quartz: best near sink, dishwasher, and not adjacent to the stove as heat can damage the epoxy
if next to stove, use glass hot plate protectors for removing dishes from stove top to kountertop
Use glass top stove cleaner for any stains, ie, keep the counter kleen at all times

good luck and please lettuce know what you picked?

grammer and spelling expert guy
We have a white cutting board that hides all the time.

What kind of lettuce, romaine or iceberg? Inquiring minds want to know
Old 04-29-2024, 12:07 PM

You must have a non busy almost white countertop in order that you can choose a really nice backspkash tile which is more busy. This is most cost effective with quartz and expensive done in granite. Only high end granite is available in least busy patterns while quartz meets that goal so much more affordablely.
Old 04-29-2024, 01:27 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,536 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peazoup View Post
Would love to get opinions on which is best - granite or quartz for a kitchen counter and why one is better than the other. Thanks for any input.
Quartz is better because granite can chip.
Old 04-29-2024, 11:05 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packer Fan View Post
Quartz is FAR from monochromatic - see below- and I have had both and Granite is a pain - don't put hot pots on it, don't spill. Quartz is just about indestructible. Go with the quartz - BTW, This is Cabria, top of the line, and the difference from High end quartz was not that much. Burns Woodworking did it, love them.
You have it backwards. Granite is real stone whereas quartz is manmade and contains resin. You have to be careful with heat on Quartz. Nothing above 300 degrees because of the resin. A sharp knife can scratch quartz. Both will stain if you are not careful.

Quartz or Granite? It is merely a design choice. Some options are very similar that it is difficult to distinguish one from the other with the naked eye. Quartz is engineered to look like real stone and mimics granite or marble.

Granite is never outdated. It is the color of cabinets. A few years ago, oak, maple, and cherry cabinets were in demand. Now, lighter cabinets are the preference. Black cabinets are also desirable. Whichever you choose, design fads come and go. Quartz may be the IT product now but will not remain that way.

Most likely, the Developer uses quartz because he has found a cheap source and primarily uses the same color in all spec homes to keep the cost down. IMO, this makes EVERY new home look identical. Not a good thing in the resale market. Buyers will have an option to look for the cheapest home.

Last edited by Randall55; 04-30-2024 at 04:30 AM.
Old 04-30-2024, 04:33 PM
Default Prefer Granite

I hate the white quartz countertops currently in our preowned home. I had a lovely veined granite countertop in my old home. So it comes down to preferences. I’m constantly scrubbing my white countertop to keep it from looking dirty; even water leaves stains. The rounded corners on the island are no longer shiny. Berry juice, red drinks, even tea: scrub, scrub, scrub. Once we fix the floors and closets, cabinets and a friendly granite countertop are next!
Old 05-01-2024, 06:51 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peazoup View Post
Would love to get opinions on which is best - granite or quartz for a kitchen counter and why one is better than the other. Thanks for any input.
Formica
Old 05-01-2024, 08:21 AM
Sage
Thanked 14,157 Times in 5,384 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nn0wheremann View Post
Formica
Not if you ever want to sell your home
Old 05-01-2024, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nn0wheremann View Post
Formica
Think back to when you were a kid, plywood with sheet vinyl glued to it was the counters I grew up with and they were great, when forimca came along we thought we were fancy.
Old 05-01-2024, 09:22 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeRoySmith View Post
Think back to when you were a kid, plywood with sheet vinyl glued to it was the counters I grew up with and they were great, when forimca came along we thought we were fancy.
Yup....still in use. I scale fish on them.
Old 05-01-2024, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shipping up to Boston View Post
Yup....still in use. I scale fish on them.
you gotta be kidding

when we got our first formica counter tops my dad took the old counters and made a fish cleaning station out of them, we even kept the old sink installed and ran a garden hose to the faucet

We arent kin are we, dad!?
Old 05-01-2024, 09:46 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeRoySmith View Post
you gotta be kidding

when we got our first formica counter tops my dad took the old counters and made a fish cleaning station out of them, we even kept the old sink installed and ran a garden hose to the faucet

We arent kin are we, dad!?
You know youre a redneck if.....
Old 05-02-2024, 04:37 PM
Veteran member

Protect Your Quartz Countertops: Hot Pot Do’s and Don’ts
Written by Melissa H.Fenton in Bed Runners & Scarves
No, a hot pot should not be placed directly on quartz countertops. Quartz countertops are not heat-resistant and may crack or discolor if exposed to high temperatures.

Quartz countertops are a popular choice for kitchens due to their durability and low maintenance characteristics. However, it is important to note that they are not entirely heat resistant. While quartz countertops can withstand moderate heat from everyday use, they may crack or discolor if exposed to high temperatures.

Therefore, it is not recommended to place a hot pot or a pan directly on the quartz countertop. Instead, use trivets or hot pads to protect the surface from heat damage. Taking care of your quartz countertop properly can increase its lifespan and maintain its aesthetic appeal.

Sizzling pots of savory broth and thinly sliced meats – hot pot is the ultimate comfort food. But setting up your hot pot at home can be tricky. Granite countertops are beautiful, but their polished surfaces aren’t exactly designed for steaming, bubbling hot pots. So can you put your hot pot directly on granite?

The short answer is yes, you can use a hot pot on granite countertops. Granite is an extremely durable natural stone that can withstand exposure to heat. However, there are a few precautions you should take to avoid damaging your countertops when using a hot pot.

Place a trivet or hot pads under the hot pot to prevent direct contact with the granite. The extreme heat from the boiling broth can potentially cause cracks or discoloration on the surface. A trivet helps distribute the heat. You can also use folded kitchen towels in a pinch. In addition, be sure to avoid dragging the hot pot across the granite, as scratches can occur.

With some care taken to protect your countertops, you can safely enjoy hot pot on your granite surfaces. Just be mindful of using trivets and avoiding any harsh scraping. Follow these tips and your granite will hold up beautifully for many hot pot meals to come.

Now that you know it’s possible, get ready to gather your ingredients and fire up a flavorful, steaming hot pot tonight!

Tags
granite, quartz, love, kitchen, counter

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.