Grocery Behavior

Closed Thread
Old 05-10-2020, 11:30 AM

My wife has expressed the same complaints several times.
Old 05-10-2020, 11:49 AM
Default Feeling same!

I do observe their poor habits of touching all veggies, fruits, and canned foods, too. What I did is when I got home, I dipped each item in the pail of water with bleach inside the garage, and then bring cleaned items inside the house. Better be safe than nothing!

Old 05-10-2020, 11:50 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 3,224 Times in 929 Posts

I've been doing the shopping for a bit now due to my wife's health. I would rather let Mike Tyson chew on my ear for an hour than grocery shop.
Old 05-10-2020, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davem4616 View Post
I've been doing the grocery shopping for 20 years...not a rookie at this....I get the etiquette and shop like a regular and conform to the new one way shopping traffic flows, I don't hoard...etc.

I've been going to the grocery store lately on the odd times to avoid the heavy traffic

this evening I'm waiting in produce to buy some zucchini watching this lady take her time as she handles every single damn zuke in the bin....after a while I finally said..."we're not suppose to be handling all of the veggies and fruit, you don't have gloves on, please take what you want and move one."....she turned to me and said "six feet please...and stop whining"....I replied "grow up and get with the new normal" ...

I wanted to say "hey, cupcake, give me any more of your friggin lip and I'll knock you into aisle 7 along with the guy you're with"...but I didn't (at best she was in her early 70's and certainly more than capable of knowing that in today's world you don't handle everything trying to figure out what you want to buy...come on, a zuke is a darn zuke)

what the heck is it with people that still think that it's okay handle every single piece of fruit or veggie or package of meat, and put it back and do the same thing with another until their inner voice tells them that this is the one... like they did in the pre-covid-19 days and for some reason they think that that's okay in today's world?

okay...take your best shots...and tell me how I infringed upon this sweet woman's shopping experience and how I aborted her freedom of choice...so that I can learn from this experience
I am on your side. All supermarkets should provide gloves in the produce department like they do in Italy and most parts of Europe. They are made of same thin plastic material as the bags used to place them. No one dares to touch fruits nor vegetables with bare hands.
Old 05-10-2020, 12:00 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,513 Times in 3,106 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madelaine Amee View Post
The "gloves thing" as you so elegantly put it, is to protect ME, not you. My hands are encased in gloves, when I leave the store I roll them off inside out and discard them, my hands are germ free.
...UNTIL you put your hands on all the groceries that were in your bag.
and then, it will be as though you hadn't been wearing gloves at all.
Old 05-10-2020, 12:08 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,932 Times in 2,455 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 600th Photo Sq View Post
Me I would have got a bag of Turnips and moved on. I love Turnips " Roasted " w/ Carrot's.
So, you didn’t fall off the turnip truck yesterday I see! ————it was a joke
Old 05-10-2020, 12:16 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,562 Times in 508 Posts

Bravo 👏!

I’ve always said “see something, say something”.
Old 05-10-2020, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davem4616 View Post
I've been doing the grocery shopping for 20 years...not a rookie at this....I get the etiquette and shop like a regular and conform to the new one way shopping traffic flows, I don't hoard...etc.

I've been going to the grocery store lately on the odd times to avoid the heavy traffic

this evening I'm waiting in produce to buy some zucchini watching this lady take her time as she handles every single damn zuke in the bin....after a while I finally said..."we're not suppose to be handling all of the veggies and fruit, you don't have gloves on, please take what you want and move one."....she turned to me and said "six feet please...and stop whining"....I replied "grow up and get with the new normal" ...

I wanted to say "hey, cupcake, give me any more of your friggin lip and I'll knock you into aisle 7 along with the guy you're with"...but I didn't (at best she was in her early 70's and certainly more than capable of knowing that in today's world you don't handle everything trying to figure out what you want to buy...come on, a zuke is a darn zuke)

what the heck is it with people that still think that it's okay handle every single piece of fruit or veggie or package of meat, and put it back and do the same thing with another until their inner voice tells them that this is the one... like they did in the pre-covid-19 days and for some reason they think that that's okay in today's world?

okay...take your best shots...and tell me how I infringed upon this sweet woman's shopping experience and how I aborted her freedom of choice...so that I can learn from this experience
As a 16 yo high school junior in NJ, my first job was at an Acme supermarket at $1.15@hr. The middle-aged produce manager, his name I will never forget, Bob Higgins, told me that you can tell a lot about a woman by the way she picks up a cucumber (zucchini). So when I see a woman as you described, it brings fond memories. Perhaps, instead of grousing at her, you could’ve complimented her style.
Old 05-10-2020, 01:39 PM
Veteran member
Location: The Villages - Formerly Atlanta Endicott and Syracuse NY
Default You are very lucky

Quote:
Originally Posted by iht2209 View Post
I agree .... today I witnessed a guy pick up several packages of meat. He simply pick them up looked at them than put them down. I stood there watching him for 10 minutes handle every piece of meat. He finally looked at me and asked.... Im I in your way? I replied.... no I just can’t believe how stupid you are ..... you cannot figure out what’s in all those package your picking up. How dam selfish are you that you maybe contaminated everything you have touched and you don’t care. Pick a dam piece of meat out and move on....
Consider yourself fortunate that you didnt get knocked on your butt. Another self appointed Deputy Dawg deciding how other people should behave
Old 05-10-2020, 03:00 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,039 Times in 373 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post
...UNTIL you put your hands on all the groceries that were in your bag.
and then, it will be as though you hadn't been wearing gloves at all.
Wrong, we put the bags down in the garage and wash our hands in the garage sink with soap and water, then unpack the items.

Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about!

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak
Old 05-10-2020, 03:24 PM

The new normal is to get your produce and wash it with soap and water when you get it home. You are not taking into account other people who have been equally touchy-feely with the stock but you didn't see them doing it...
Old 05-10-2020, 03:47 PM
Default Grocery shopping

[QUOTE=davem4616;1762031]I've been doing the grocery shopping for 20 years...not a rookie at this....I get the etiquette and shop like a regular and conform to the new one way shopping traffic flows, I don't hoard...etc.

okay...take your best shots...and tell me how I infringed upon this sweet woman's shopping experience and how I aborted her freedom of choice...so that I can learn from this experience[/QUOTE

She was ahead of you. You wait in line until she is finished. It was not your right to tell her your thoughts. If you were unhappy go speak to a manager.
Old 05-10-2020, 05:06 PM

You are part of the problem.
Old 05-10-2020, 05:24 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneclickplus View Post
After her first reply, I would have "violated" the 6 ft nonsense and just moved in to get what I wanted. If she wants to maintain 6 ft of distance, she can move away.

And I wash ALL my fruits and vegetables with soap / water and a dish brush ... just like washing hands. The soap will break down the outer fatty layer of any virus that may be present and render it harmless.
Perfect.

Laughter is the best medicine, unless you're being treated for Shingles
Old 05-10-2020, 08:02 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,513 Times in 3,106 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madelaine Amee View Post
Wrong, we put the bags down in the garage and wash our hands in the garage sink with soap and water, then unpack the items.
So you wash your hands and THEN touch all those groceries that dozens - if not hundreds - of other people have touched.

And you're not seeing how that defeats the purpose?

Honestly - don't obsess about cleaning your groceries, and don't believe for one second that you are protecting yourself from anything by washing your hands BEFORE touching all that stuff.

You're more likely to find e.coli on the hem of your pants than you are to find COVID-19 on your rutebega or can of soup.
Closed Thread

Tags
grocery, shopping, single, fruit, traffic

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.