Grocery Behavior

Closed Thread
Old 05-10-2020, 05:36 AM

From the farm to the grocery store, I think many people handled the zucchini. I would have continued on with my shopping and come back when she was done and then washed the zucchini along with everything else that I brought home. No need to say rude things to other shoppers, even if she was slower than you preferred. Patience is a virtue.
Old 05-10-2020, 05:43 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by davem4616 View Post
I've been doing the grocery shopping for 20 years...not a rookie at this....I get the etiquette and shop like a regular and conform to the new one way shopping traffic flows, I don't hoard...etc.

I've been going to the grocery store lately on the odd times to avoid the heavy traffic

this evening I'm waiting in produce to buy some zucchini watching this lady take her time as she handles every single damn zuke in the bin....after a while I finally said..."we're not suppose to be handling all of the veggies and fruit, you don't have gloves on, please take what you want and move one."....she turned to me and said "six feet please...and stop whining"....I replied "grow up and get with the new normal" ...

I wanted to say "hey, cupcake, give me any more of your friggin lip and I'll knock you into aisle 7 along with the guy you're with"...but I didn't (at best she was in her early 70's and certainly more than capable of knowing that in today's world you don't handle everything trying to figure out what you want to buy...come on, a zuke is a darn zuke)

what the heck is it with people that still think that it's okay handle every single piece of fruit or veggie or package of meat, and put it back and do the same thing with another until their inner voice tells them that this is the one... like they did in the pre-covid-19 days and for some reason they think that that's okay in today's world?

okay...take your best shots...and tell me how I infringed upon this sweet woman's shopping experience and how I aborted her freedom of choice...so that I can learn from this experience
Me I would have got a bag of Turnips and moved on. I love Turnips " Roasted " w/ Carrot's.
Old 05-10-2020, 05:52 AM
Default After her first reply ...

Quote:
she turned to me and said "six feet please...and stop whining"....I replied "grow up and get with the new normal" ...

After her first reply, I would have "violated" the 6 ft nonsense and just moved in to get what I wanted. If she wants to maintain 6 ft of distance, she can move away.

And I wash ALL my fruits and vegetables with soap / water and a dish brush ... just like washing hands. The soap will break down the outer fatty layer of any virus that may be present and render it harmless.
Old 05-10-2020, 06:14 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,245 Times in 450 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadaboutgal View Post
And just how close to the lady were you. Six feet?
Also, why couldn't you just continue on your list and come back when the lady was finished. Because you wanted to do what you wanted to do when you wanted to do it. No sympathy for you.
I think you were out of line. JMO
Agree 100%.......very impatient person
Old 05-10-2020, 06:22 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,245 Times in 450 Posts

Quote:
I've been doing the grocery shopping for 20 years...not a rookie at this....I get the etiquette and shop like a regular and conform to the new one way shopping traffic flows, I don't hoard...etc.

I've been going to the grocery store lately on the odd times to avoid the heavy traffic

this evening I'm waiting in produce to buy some zucchini watching this lady take her time as she handles every single damn zuke in the bin....after a while I finally said..."we're not suppose to be handling all of the veggies and fruit, you don't have gloves on, please take what you want and move one."....she turned to me and said "six feet please...and stop whining"....I replied "grow up and get with the new normal" ...

I wanted to say "hey, cupcake, give me any more of your friggin lip and I'll knock you into aisle 7 along with the guy you're with"...but I didn't (at best she was in her early 70's and certainly more than capable of knowing that in today's world you don't handle everything trying to figure out what you want to buy...come on, a zuke is a darn zuke)

what the heck is it with people that still think that it's okay handle every single piece of fruit or veggie or package of meat, and put it back and do the same thing with another until their inner voice tells them that this is the one... like they did in the pre-covid-19 days and for some reason they think that that's okay in today's world?

okay...take your best shots...and tell me how I infringed upon this sweet woman's shopping experience and how I aborted her freedom of choice...so that I can learn from this experience
I wish we could come up with a joint consensus on the gloves no gloves. I stopped wearing because of the cross contamination. Wear gloves, Not wear gloves....either way you were not right. She can take her time shopping it is her right to as fast or as slow as she wants. She can look at very piece of veggie or fruit she wants just like we have been doing for years. Since has anybody ever just grab without looking, touching and even smelling first. As others have stated wash all fruits and veggies first. The Golden Rule applies here.....Do onto others as you want them to do onto you.
I hope you have a nice Mother’s Day
Old 05-10-2020, 06:24 AM

Sounds like common sense not to touch everything especially in these times, except for the gloves. Once you touch your nose or mouth with your gloves on (and inevitably you will) they too will be contaminated. Best to wash you fruits and veggies when you get home.
Old 05-10-2020, 06:34 AM
Thanked 1,306 Times in 237 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by iht2209 View Post
I agree .... today I witnessed a guy pick up several packages of meat. He simply pick them up looked at them than put them down. I stood there watching him for 10 minutes handle every piece of meat. He finally looked at me and asked.... Im I in your way? I replied.... no I just can’t believe how stupid you are ..... you cannot figure out what’s in all those package your picking up. How dam selfish are you that you maybe contaminated everything you have touched and you don’t care. Pick a dam piece of meat out and move on....
Sounds like you’re the problem. That’s the way people shop. That’s the way they have always shopped and are going to continue to shop. If you can’t deal with it then stay home. Tired of paranoid people.
Old 05-10-2020, 06:59 AM
Default Veggies/Fruit

I had been very lax about fruit & veggies cleaning before this pandemic. I have changed my habits as we need these for our health. Never paid attention to the recommendations before this, now we are washing them BIG TIME.
Old 05-10-2020, 07:04 AM

I saw a guy with no gloves on, touch every damn bag of roast chicken at Publix
Old 05-10-2020, 07:04 AM

Totally agree with you. My hubby and I were in Fresh Market waiting on the meat line when we saw a woman do the same thing and she did it for everything!
Old 05-10-2020, 07:09 AM

Such hateful comments on BOTH sides. I hope it is due to the stress of the virus has put on us all. We have left TV after 15 years to much more pleasant grounds and are much happier being around compassionate friendly people. We have found that people react to others as others react to them. When you are consistently around nice people, you become much nicer yourself.
Old 05-10-2020, 07:10 AM

I agree with what you did! That shopper had no right to handle every zucchini like that in the midst of a contagious virus outbreak. It’s bad enough doing it in “normal” times.
Old 05-10-2020, 07:13 AM

Your response to this women was not out of line. Her food handling manners needs improving.
Thank you for addressing her behavior in public grocery shopping.
Old 05-10-2020, 07:13 AM

You just can't fix stuipid!!!
Old 05-10-2020, 07:15 AM
Default courtesy

I'm sorry but I am one that likes to check things before I buy but I do try to be courteous. It isn't my prerogative to check every item in the category I am looking at but enough is enough. If I am looking at something and I see someone else is waiting I and I want to be very picky I will say sorry and let that person in. They shouldn't have to be put out cause I am a fussy budget. To go on to something else and come back, no thank you. That's how I forget to get the item not to mention there may be someone else there by then. During these times if I am gonna be very fussy about my fruits and vegetables I will use a plastic egg bag to check the item. I know it isn't as sanitary and does move the virus from one item to another but at least it didn't start with me. If both of the ladies had masks on and the one was taking all the time in the world, I would have moved in and done my things. I believe in part that's masks are to be worn when six feet cannot be observed. I will respect other people's concerns but there comes a time when enough is enough and others too should have respect. It takes longer to do the things we want to because of social distancing and yes many of us have that time but why should we have to waste because of someone like that. Get your stuff and move on. You want to take forever, fine but I'm not waiting forever. I will move in and do my thing. Slapping a person into isle seven, I like that.
Closed Thread

Tags
grocery, shopping, single, fruit, traffic

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.