Guns in Schools

Closed Thread
Old 05-28-2019, 06:11 PM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,776 Times in 3,644 Posts
Default Guns in Schools

Not sure how long this thread will last, but here I go:

Should trained teachers be able to carry a gun in schools???

Hate to at this point, but I would support trained teachers carrying to protect my children / grandchildren.

Old 05-28-2019, 06:19 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,424 Times in 2,269 Posts

I've thought about this a lot and am very hesitant.

Training sounds great but to actually become proficient in a combat situation takes a whole lot more than sending someone to a weekend class. How much training is the school willing to provide? How much training are the teachers willing to go through?

Will the teachers be indemnified for their actions when they screw up?

Most of the schools in the area I live have been somewhat hardened. Meaning you have to go through a door or gate to gain access. They also have at least one Sheriff Deputy on campus during school hours.

I think in some cases where a teacher might be a vet or former LEO it might work. But I'm still skeptical on whether teachers can actually receive adequate training and maintain the level of competence required to perform when the SHTF..

We've Got Plenty Of Youth.. What We Need Is a Fountain Of SMART!
Old 05-28-2019, 06:40 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,729 Times in 5,250 Posts

I don't see any reason to modify the gun laws for schools. Just enforce the laws equally for everyone throughout the state. Creating gun free zones or special rules for schools is a mistake, especially creating "gun free" zones.
Old 05-28-2019, 06:41 PM
fw102807

My fear would be keeping them away from the kids.
Old 05-28-2019, 07:13 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,668 Times in 529 Posts

In the words of those that want to take guns and the Second Amendment away;
"if it saves the life of just one child".
The same can be said for arming teachers and faculty.

As to this;
"They also have at least one Sheriff Deputy on campus during school hours."
How'd that work at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School?

As per the new Florida (passed) legislation;
"Under the program, teachers would need to pass a 144-hour training course before they could be armed. Employees at schools in 40 of the state's 67 counties have already either enrolled in that course or plan to do so."

"By law, school guardians must undergo a psychological evaluation and complete at least 144 hours of training, including 104 hours focused on firearm use. The remaining 40 hours are split between trainings on diversity, legal issues, defensive tactics and active shooter situations."

104 hours focused on firearm use............... that is very extensive training.
Oh yeah....I am for arming teachers and faculty......if it saves just one child............
Steve

Last edited by anothersteve; 05-28-2019 at 07:26 PM.
Old 05-28-2019, 07:23 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,424 Times in 2,269 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by anothersteve View Post
In the words of those that want to take guns and the Second Amendment away;
"if it saves the life of just one child".
The same can be said for arming teachers and faculty.

As to this;
"They also have at least one Sheriff Deputy on campus during school hours."
How'd that work at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School?

As per the new Florida legislation;
"Under the program, teachers would need to pass a 144-hour training course before they could be armed. Employees at schools in 40 of the state's 67 counties have already either enrolled in that course or plan to do so."

"By law, school guardians must undergo a psychological evaluation and complete at least 144 hours of training, including 104 hours focused on firearm use. The remaining 40 hours are split between trainings on diversity, legal issues, defensive tactics and active shooter situations."

104 hours focused on firearm use............... that is very extensive training.
Oh yeah....I am for arming teachers and faculty......if it saves just one child............
Steve
Sounds like a comprehensive program. I hope it achieves what they want it to..

We've Got Plenty Of Youth.. What We Need Is a Fountain Of SMART!
Old 05-28-2019, 07:59 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 3,224 Times in 929 Posts

The arming of teachers won't be involuntary, they will have to be willing volunteers. I'm sure there are going to be psychological evaluations to determine their fitness to be entrusted with a firearm in the classroom. I don't believe there is any intent by anyone to allow wannabe Rambos turned loose with firearms. The amount of training required is pretty extensive and should provide a good basis for a teacher to be effective and safe. Our grandchildren went to high school with over 2,500 students in a very large building that would have taken many police officers to properly secure. I doubt there is any school with a budget that could pay for that level of security and neither do the police departments.
Old 05-28-2019, 08:10 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,019 Times in 1,745 Posts

As a teacher for 30 plus years and a competitive member of the hand gun club of my university I say; No! Guns, grenades and bombs have no business in the classroom.
Old 05-28-2019, 08:13 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet View Post
As a teacher for 30 plus years and a competitive member of the hand gun club of my university I say; No! Guns, grenades and bombs have no business in the classroom.
With all due respect, why?
Steve

Edit to say I agree with the grenades and bomb thing. That's just silly to let teachers and faculty have those.

Last edited by anothersteve; 05-28-2019 at 08:20 PM.
Old 05-28-2019, 08:13 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,317 Times in 871 Posts

I've talked to a few teachers, not in Florida but friends that still live up north. If they had the choice they would carry. It's not only the kids in danger, it is also the teachers and being the adults in the room they feel an obligation to protect their kids and that could mean getting between the shooter and the kids. I think we sometimes forget about the teachers in those situations. I'm in favor of allowing those that want to carry and go through the psychological testing and the extensive training should have that option.

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 05-28-2019, 08:18 PM
Sage

Dangerous for many reasons. A teacher concentrates on teaching, they are trained to educate. They are not security guards, they are not army or police. We have had education in many countries for centuries. Can you name one place that arms their educators in their school system?
Old 05-28-2019, 08:21 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoMar View Post
I've talked to a few teachers, not in Florida but friends that still live up north. If they had the choice they would carry. It's not only the kids in danger, it is also the teachers and being the adults in the room they feel an obligation to protect their kids and that could mean getting between the shooter and the kids. I think we sometimes forget about the teachers in those situations. I'm in favor of allowing those that want to carry and go through the psychological testing and the extensive training should have that option.
You better be trained very well and in constant training. Do you know how hard it is to hit a moving object? We used to compete with our local police in training. And the probability of hitting a child in the shoot out...
Old 05-28-2019, 08:29 PM
Soaring Eagle member

I'll vote no. Should be active or retired LEO's.

Laughter is the best medicine, unless you're being treated for Shingles
Old 05-28-2019, 08:29 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,562 Times in 508 Posts

Yes, unequivocally. But, as I was trained as a LEO in the use of a firearm, they should also have extensive training to include quarterly qualification in the use of the weapon.
Old 05-28-2019, 08:30 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet View Post
You better be trained very well and in constant training. Do you know how hard it is to hit a moving object? We used to compete with our local police in training. And the probability of hitting a child in the shoot out...
See my post above.

Extensive training is a prerequisite.
Also...who shoots up schools? .....kids....wacked out kids! No military training,... well...no training at all....just screwed up kids with serious problems..
First responders, well trained teachers, faculty are the the best and first line of defense.
Steve
Closed Thread

Tags
trained, teachers, schools, point, hate

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.