Guns in Schools

Closed Thread
Old 05-29-2019, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet View Post
You better be trained very well and in constant training. Do you know how hard it is to hit a moving object? We used to compete with our local police in training. And the probability of hitting a child in the shoot out...
The untrained, mentally ill shooters taking anti-depressants don't seem to have a problem hitting moving targets, with all due respect. The first step is to repeal "gun-free zones." There is a reason mass shootings take place in schools and not in banks, police stations, gun shows, etc.
Old 05-29-2019, 05:33 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,745 Times in 5,255 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PersonalChoice View Post
The untrained, mentally ill shooters taking anti-depressants don't seem to have a problem hitting moving targets, with all due respect. The first step is to repeal "gun-free zones." There is a reason mass shootings take place in schools and not in banks, police stations, gun shows, etc.
I agree. But, treating schools, churches, etc. differently from other locations will not really reduce the violence. Just enforcing the second amendment consistently everywhere is the best way to go. If you harden certain areas, those who want to kill will just find another target.
Old 05-29-2019, 06:12 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,031 Times in 1,750 Posts

I understand people wanting to “harden” certain areas. What I would like to say is that if we live with a bunker mentality, we are dominated by our fears. Please look at what happens in societies that are run by guns.

I propose a gentler, safer, freer and more disciplined society. One that is adequately guarded by its police and military.

In my years as a teacher I have seen a great reduction of discipline, both in school and at home. Loving, enabling, misguided parents are often shocked by the self-absorbed, entitled kids that result from their efforts.

I remember a student in our gifted program (in a public school) whose very established parents were having a meeting with our principal. They were planning his grade 7 math program. The parents brought their own lawyer to the meeting to make sure the curriculum presented to Max, their son, would be up to their satisfaction.

Several years later, my daughter who was the same age as this gifted student, was enrolled in the same high school. One day I asked her, “How’s Max doing?” She told me he dropped out and became the local drug dealer.

In the transition phase to my ideal society we could have police assigned to be in the schools. They would be trained to get to know the kids and the parents. Be a resource and a friend. And they would have their guns too.

Last edited by Velvet; 05-29-2019 at 06:44 PM.
Old 05-29-2019, 07:48 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,508 Times in 1,908 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet View Post
I understand people wanting to “harden” certain areas. What I would like to say is that if we live with a bunker mentality, we are dominated by our fears. Please look at what happens in societies that are run by guns.

I propose a gentler, safer, freer and more disciplined society. One that is adequately guarded by its police and military.

In my years as a teacher I have seen a great reduction of discipline, both in school and at home. Loving, enabling, misguided parents are often shocked by the self-absorbed, entitled kids that result from their efforts.

I remember a student in our gifted program (in a public school) whose very established parents were having a meeting with our principal. They were planning his grade 7 math program. The parents brought their own lawyer to the meeting to make sure the curriculum presented to Max, their son, would be up to their satisfaction.

Several years later, my daughter who was the same age as this gifted student, was enrolled in the same high school. One day I asked her, “How’s Max doing?” She told me he dropped out and became the local drug dealer.

In the transition phase to my ideal society we could have police assigned to be in the schools. They would be trained to get to know the kids and the parents. Be a resource and a friend. And they would have their guns too.
I believe that society will not change until the parent/s of babies stay with them most of the time for three years, like it was in our memory. Manners, morals, values and attitudes are helped during that time, but more importantly a real thing called bonding occurs which is biological and involves the hormone oxytocin.

The difference is the way a grandparent loves a child and a parent loves a child. And what happens if a grandparent raises a child or a parent raises a child.

Just my thoughts. People turn their infants over to people they would not trust with their car keys or their credit card.
Old 05-29-2019, 07:55 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenswing View Post
Which is center mass, over and over..
Once you pull that trigger, whether right or wrong,be prepared for a law suit. Plan on spending a minimum of $100,000, or losing everything you've worked for. There is insurance that covers that kind of thing, but probably very expensive. I wonder how many people in TV actually have it? Speak up.

Laughter is the best medicine, unless you're being treated for Shingles
Old 05-29-2019, 09:19 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,427 Times in 2,269 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobnBev View Post
Once you pull that trigger, whether right or wrong,be prepared for a law suit. Plan on spending a minimum of $100,000, or losing everything you've worked for. There is insurance that covers that kind of thing, but probably very expensive. I wonder how many people in TV actually have it? Speak up.
Not as expensive as you might think.. Best Concealed Carry Insurance Comparison [2019] | Sniper Country

We've Got Plenty Of Youth.. What We Need Is a Fountain Of SMART!
Old 05-30-2019, 03:59 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,015 Times in 273 Posts

I am on the fence, but if you qualify for concealed carry, I would support open carry in a holster for all. I believe anyone that would kill an unarmed person is a coward and would be deterred from doing so if they thought their victim could defend themselves.
Old 05-30-2019, 01:50 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,031 Times in 1,750 Posts

Allow me a different approach. Your 4 year old is going to school for the first time, scared, afraid to let go of your hand... the teacher greets your child at the door. Would you prefer the teacher carry a gun on their waist or carry a live size teddy bear to greet your child? Second scenario, we are in high school geography class. The white haired old lady at the desk is looking around for her glasses before she starts her class. Third scenario, we are in university, the professor at the front is deeply engrossed in a macro econometric equation. He apologized earlier to the students for putting on his capris this morning instead of his pants because he was in a hurry to get to the lecture hall. All of these are real situations I have experienced.

One more thing to consider; the principal hiring the kindergarten teacher, what will they be looking for in a primary teacher? How well they can shoot?
The high school principal hiring the geography teacher, what will they be looking for in an educator?
The university committee in charge of deciding which candidate will bring prestige to the university (usually based on the type of research you have had published and how often your research is cited by others) do you think they will be interested in how well you can shoot?

Last edited by Velvet; 05-30-2019 at 01:55 PM.
Old 05-30-2019, 02:50 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PersonalChoice View Post
SNIP...>The untrained, mentally ill shooters taking anti-depressants don't seem to have a problem hitting moving targets<...SNIP
Ya think that might have something to do with the fact that the scumbag, gun-nut school shooter's have semi-auto's with typically high-capacity magazines...and extra loaded magazines?

I would bet the majority of school shooters have missed more people with each bullet they've fired...than they've hit.

But a teacher, is going to be more accurate with a handgun...and with less bullets?

So what's next, letting teachers have military-style assault style rifles also...maybe just propped against their desks so they're handy?

And baloney on the attempted deflection by calling them "modern sporting rifles," (as the NRA would like)... they are 'military-style assault rifles,' period.
Old 05-30-2019, 03:34 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,668 Times in 529 Posts

Obviously this will not matter to CNM, but others might be interested, and at least use this as fodder for thought. It's also very obvious we differ in our thoughts on firearms as a whole, so I will not debate the issue any longer.
Modern Sporting Rifle: Introduction • NSSF
Steve
Old 05-30-2019, 03:43 PM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,782 Times in 3,648 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by anothersteve View Post
Obviously this will not matter to CNM, but others might be interested, and at least use this as fodder for thought. It's also very obvious we differ in our thoughts on firearms as a whole, so I will not debate the issue any longer.
Steve

Interesting & Educational...........thanks for posting.
Old 05-30-2019, 03:49 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

Quote:
Steve

THE OP ASKED**Should trained teachers be able to carry a gun in schools???**

My views are in line with your's anothersteve. The link you provided was great. Thank You. Keep an eye on where this fantastic thread is headed now. Should be interesting. Train The Teachers and Strap 'Em Up. Times Are Changing, Get With The New Program. Protect the Children At Every Age!
Old 05-30-2019, 03:58 PM
fw102807

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nucky View Post

My views are in line with your's anothersteve. The link you provided was great. Thank You. Keep an eye on where this fantastic thread is headed now. Should be interesting. Train The Teachers and Strap 'Em Up. Times Are Changing, Get With The New Program. Protect the Children At Every Age!
There are always two or more sides to every issue. Sometimes it is the children you need to be protected from and bringing more guns into the school just makes the guns more available. The teachers now need to teach while at the same time worry about being attacked for their guns. It is never a simple answer.
Old 05-30-2019, 04:38 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:
Steve
And your assumption...would be dead wrong.

I've owned firearms, both handguns and long rifles (.22 to .30-06), plus a shotgun of course...since I was about 13.

Since I no longer hunt (got tired of venison a long time ago), I will rarely use them and usually just use my Ruger 10/22 (10-round rotary mag)for plinking...somewhere safe in the woods.

I also know how addicting to some people, the 'sense of power' a firearm conveys and how rabid some people get, when you talk about guns...ANY guns

I've simply never been one of those types.

So sorry, reading a link from "The Firearms Industry Trade Association" whose primary existence is to sell more guns (especially since sales have gone down, when the screeching of "Obama is coming to take away all your guns," which was never even an issue, has now gone away) ....doesn't exactly change my mind on military-style assault rifles.

US gun sales down 6.1 percent in 2018, extending '''Trump slump'''
Old 05-30-2019, 05:14 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,244 Times in 707 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nucky View Post

I never owned a gun.....do not want to own a gun....did my shooting, etc while in the military.

My only comment to this post and specifically to this sentence..

"Train The Teachers and Strap 'Em Up. Times Are Changing, Get With The New Program. Protect the Children At Every Age"

That sentence sounds like the old west and getting together a posse.

I hope I am wrong but seems to me the accent on allowing more to carry, spells for ultimate tragedy in the future. The two bills passed in the US congress will obviously never even get voted on in the senate, and the Florida law is eventually going to be up to the local school district.

I hope and pray I am so wrong but the entire thing sounds like a sure fire recipe for disaster.

Believe me, my heart simply cries out for protecting our children at all costs from every kind of harm imaginable, but expanding their "world" with surrounding with more guns just does not feel right.

Seems to me that common sense is taking a vacation for some reason.

Ok...sorry to interrupt, but sort of tired of everyone on every issue just being macho instead of reasonable and listening instead of pounding of chests. My experience that usually brings more violence, not less.
Closed Thread

Tags
trained, teachers, schools, point, hate

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.