Is Halloween a religious holiday?

Closed Thread
Old 10-21-2014, 08:49 AM
Gold member

I am not up on religious holidays.
I always thought Halloween was cultural and was used to introduce our young to the mechanisms of a handout society.
Old 10-21-2014, 11:18 AM
Sage

Jerry Seinfeld on Halloween (Stand-up in New York)

click here
Old 10-21-2014, 12:44 PM

Growing up on the 50's Halloween was never associated with religion (good or evil) but just plain old fashion fun. All the kids dressed up in various costumes, mostly hand made and we wore them to school and gave out candy and dunked for apples and had cake and prizes for best coctomes. Even the churches had Halloween parties. I recall all of the kids in my school participated with the exception of one family who didn't allow any participation in music, dancing or television. I remember as a kid feeling sorry or them.
Old 10-21-2014, 10:36 PM
Gold member

In Detroit, the night before Halloween is called Devils Night and it was used as an opportunity to start fires. The Detroit Fire Department dreaded that night because of all the fires started in empty houses and garages that could spread to other residences. Finally, the people of Detroit gathered together, the neighborhoods and churches, and took back the night, renaming it "Angels Night". They started street patrols, assisting the fire department. There has since been a huge decrease in fires!
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.