HAS ANYONE HEARD OF THE "MAGICJACK" PHONE?

Closed Thread
Old 06-23-2008, 11:22 PM
Banned
Default Re: HAS ANYONE HEARD OF THE "MAGICJACK" PHONE?

Thought I'd try if after reading about it on TOTV. Love it!

Got two (can only hook up one on any computer) and have had no problem. for the price, it was worth the experiment.

Don't care if the internet goes down - that's when the cellphones kick in.

Would recommend it to anyone with broadband internet and who leaves the computer on 24/7.

If nothing else, having a spare telephone for $40 for the first year and $20 thereafter is a bargain.
Old 06-24-2008, 01:32 PM

I bought my magicjack thru amazon and recieved a $30 cash back discount net $16 dollar cost for system and 1 year deal. Magicjack is great. Turn off screen and leave cpu on, works great. If computor is off calls go to voicemail and when you turn on again you will have email letting you you have calls in voicemail

drd
Old 06-24-2008, 01:49 PM
Sage

We have Voice Pulse and love it. We had it in Illinois and carried our numbers with us here to FL and added a virtual number with a FL exchange. We went with them as Vonage was not as reliable as up as Voice Pulse, plus VP has a ton of features. And yes, if the internet goes out, it also goes automatically to my cell phone. Check it out at voicepulse.com
It's clear as a bell and very reliable.

p.s. Nonie and I have spoken several times and she's always had feedback with the MagicJack. So the conversation can be choppy. But I still love talkin' to you darlin'! :-*
Old 06-24-2008, 01:54 PM
Sage

Chels, unfortunately ALL of my phones(magic Jack, cells) were choppy when talking to you. Whats up with that???? :dontknow:

There is no difficulty on earth that enough love will not conquer.
Old 06-24-2008, 02:08 PM
Sage

With Vonage I sometimes have echos, delays, just not the best reception. Seems to happen when I'm talking with people on cell phones, portable phones, or who have Vonage service. Other times the reception is great. (Still I love the price for International long distance).

I brought my Vonage Florida phone system home to Canada and added a local number here. However at present, I'm paying for two systems to run parallel. I don't want to cancel my Canadian land line until I'm positive Vonage is going to operate properly. :dontknow:
Old 06-24-2008, 02:28 PM
Sage

Nonie, I think it's because we try to talk over each other! LOL Just two big yakkers!
I miss you dahling. :-*
Old 06-27-2008, 09:48 PM
Gold member
Send a message via AIM to Shirleevee

I just finished installing the Magic Jack. I called locally, (NY, NJ), and California with no sound or service problems. Hopefully, it will work as well in TV as here.

Thanks to all for their input.

Shirleevee

Staten Island, N.Y./The Villages
Old 06-27-2008, 09:56 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Send a message via Yahoo to renielarson

I'm in the process of returning our Magic Jack for a refund. This is why:

Here in TV there was no local area code so anyone local who called us would have to pay long distance rates. I couldn't live with that...doing that to my friends.

At home in Michigan, we could have registered with a local area code, however, the thought of changing our phone number with all our contacts was too overwhelming for us.

We decided the Magic Jack was not for us although while we used it for a test run the sound quality was excellent.
Old 06-29-2008, 09:29 PM
Veteran member

I've used MagicJack in TV with good success. But they have promised new area codes for months with nothing. Their customer service (at least they answer the phone ) will tell new area codes soon but trying to press them for an specific date or time frame is worthless they continue to say soon. Forums on Magic Jack have indicated this has been a continuing issue with them.
Another issue I have with them is I can't use the keypad to input responses to computers when they request "Press number x for this and y for that" > it just doesn't seem to work. But for the price and reasonable quality (better than cell phone or at least as good in most cases I tried) it hard to beat. The area code issue may be a problem with the other common carriers giving them out ?? and I think there is an update to the hardware they are selling now but I don't know what it fixes if anything.

I think its still a bargain and if they get the area code issue worked out it will be even better.
Old 06-29-2008, 09:36 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Send a message via Yahoo to renielarson

dadspet

I would have kept the Magicjack had it been able to cover all area codes like other phone companies. I had no problem with the quality although setup was difficult until I realized my phone wasn't compatible. Once I bought a new phone (that we needed anyway), it worked just fine. Obviously our old 2.4 mgh wasn't good enough but a 5.8 was.

Once they include all local area codes, I may consider it again. Just not now.
Old 07-09-2009, 03:57 PM
Veteran member

Any updating to report on Magic Jack? Is it still cheaper than using Comcast?
Old 07-09-2009, 04:17 PM

I just renewed mine for one year for 19.95 although they had a $59.95 special for 5 years. I figure phones will be totally different in 5 years.
Old 07-09-2009, 04:33 PM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to l2ridehd

What is the area code issue? I have one with the area code 352. Couldn't get TV for the next 3 digits, but got a town close by. And really what does it matter? If anyone is still paying for long distance, they are missing out. I have a Magic Jack at both homes and one in Virginia. Have 3 for what I paid Verizon for a month. Plan on getting another for travel. Most hotels now have free wireless and I usually travel with a laptop so just unplug the room phone, plug it into the magic jack and make free calls. Just renewed my first one which is now two years old for the 5 years for $59. That's like $12 a year for calling anywhere in the US and Canada. They work great.
Old 07-09-2009, 04:41 PM
Send a message via Yahoo to babbs455
Default majicjack

i suggest you google "majicjack complaints" and read what others who have it are saying...
i am a big googler before i purchase something I like tocheck out what others are saying about the product...complaint wise
happy googling.
Old 07-09-2009, 06:36 PM
Eternal Member

Had my Magic Jack for over three years and have never had any problems with it. Got to love the price of $19.95 a year which is less than one months service with any other phone service.

Do not follow where the path may lead.
Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.