Have you ever heard of the Pottery Barn Rule?

Closed Thread
Old 01-17-2015, 09:56 AM
Gold member
Location: Bought Tamarind Grove, Mercer Island Wa, previously NH,FLA,Hi,CT,CA,GA, Hubby from Hawaii
Default Never had anyone offer to pay

I was a retail store manager for many years and I never had anyone offer to pay. The time I remember most was when I was a 20 something department manager and we had a display of crystal from Italy no piece under $300 it was on sturdy glass shelves in the china department and no piece near the front of the shelves and good spacing between. A customer picked up a decanter looked at the price on the bottom yelled you've got to be kidding and slammed it down on the fourth shelf causing the shelf to shatter and cascade into the shelves below. 5 thousand dollars of mark out of stock later he not only didn't offer to pay he sued the store because of a small cut on his hand.

I suspect that those of you who would offer to pay are also very careful respectful people.
Old 01-17-2015, 12:15 PM
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrudyM View Post
I was a retail store manager for many years and I never had anyone offer to pay. The time I remember most was when I was a 20 something department manager and we had a display of crystal from Italy no piece under $300 it was on sturdy glass shelves in the china department and no piece near the front of the shelves and good spacing between. A customer picked up a decanter looked at the price on the bottom yelled you've got to be kidding and slammed it down on the fourth shelf causing the shelf to shatter and cascade into the shelves below. 5 thousand dollars of mark out of stock later he not only didn't offer to pay he sued the store because of a small cut on his hand.

I suspect that those of you who would offer to pay are also very careful respectful people.
I am sure the store had insurance that covered the breakage as well as liability insurance that would have covered a cut on his hand. I would be surprised that you as the manager did not call the police for the man causing destruction of property.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.