Hawaii volcano shoots lava into sky.

Closed Thread
Old 05-12-2018, 06:19 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fw102807 View Post
Any updates from the people in Hawaii? I know that the pictures look terrible but I also know that the media has a way to make it look much worse.
I couldn’t agree more. The media has made it sound like the whole place has a major issue. We just got back a couple of hours ago from the Big Island. We toured the whole island for 10 days and no issues at all except they were closing Volcanoes Natl. Park the day we visited there. I wouldn’t hesitate going to the island right now unless you really want
to see the active volcano and lava as that area is pretty much off limits. There are so many other beautiful spots to visit there that are perfectly safe.

Old 05-12-2018, 06:40 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

While I realize that science and facts aren't in vogue these days with a certain demographic...this doesn't sound too good.

Let's hope it's just an abundance of caution...and not something that will happen.

Georgia officer resigns after dragging 65-year-old black woman from car

Quote:
The eruption of a Hawaii volcano in the Pacific "Ring of Fire" has experts warily eyeing volcanic peaks on America's West Coast that are also part of the geologically active region.

America's most dangerous volcanoes are all part of the Ring of Fire, and most are on the West Coast, according to the U.S. Geological Survey. Besides Kilauea, they include: Mount St. Helens and Mount Rainier in Washington; Mount Hood and South Sister in Oregon; and Mount Shasta and Lassen Volcanic Center in California.
Old 05-12-2018, 06:47 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoosierPa View Post
I couldn’t agree more. The media has made it sound like the whole place has a major issue. We just got back a couple of hours ago from the Big Island. We toured the whole island for 10 days and no issues at all except they were closing Volcanoes Natl. Park the day we visited there. I wouldn’t hesitate going to the island right now unless you really want to see the active volcano and lava as that area is pretty much off limits. There are so many other beautiful spots to visit there that are perfectly safe.
I personally haven't seen any articles saying that... "the whole place has a major issue."

Do you by any chance have any links...where 'they' are saying such?

I do recall those who pooh-poohed the warnings regarding Mount St. Helens...and we all know how that turned out.
Old 05-12-2018, 07:19 PM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,640 Times in 1,768 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdNoMore View Post
I personally haven't seen any articles saying that... "the whole place has a major issue."

Do you by any chance have any links...where 'they' are saying such?

I do recall those who pooh-poohed the warnings regarding Mount St. Helens...and we all know how that turned out.
When St. Helens blew my brother was living in Olympia, WA. There was a blizzard of whitish ash drifts up there, as if a huge snowstorm had hit. At that time I was living in White Rock, NM and my yard received a light coat of light gray - almost white ash. I bottled some of it but forgot where I put the bottle. lol

My close friends have resided on the Big Island for almost two years now and want off for several reasons. They live near Kona and the Vog has been terrible there most of that time - nothing to do with Kilahuea's recent activity which has only affected them via two large earthquakes. It of course all depends on how the wind blows...

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine

Last edited by manaboutown; 05-12-2018 at 07:38 PM.
Old 05-12-2018, 07:37 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by manaboutown View Post
When St. Helens blew my brother was living in Olympia, WA. There was a blizzard of whitish ash drifts up there, as if a huge snowstorm had hit. At that time I was living in White Rock, NM and my yard received a light coat of light gray - almost white ash. I bottled some of it but forgot where I put the bottle. lol

My close friends have resided on the Big Island for almost two years now and want off for several reasons. They live near Kona and the Vog has been terrible there most of that time - nothing to do with Pahoa's recent activity which has only affected them via two large earthquakes. It of course all depends on how the wind blows...
Mount St. Helen's ash made it all the way to NM?

Wow, I didn't realize that.

As for your friends on the Big Island, I also have two married couple friends that have retired...and have lived there for about 15 years.

So far, they say they're staying, but their Facebook posts indicate...that they are a bit nervous.

I mean after all, who wouldn't be a little nervous given that the whole island (all of the Hawaiian islands actually) are just the exposed peaks of a great undersea mountain range (Hawaiian–Emperor seamount chain)...formed by volcanic activity.

And if you ever want to win a bet, ask someone what is the tallest mountain in the world...from base to summit.

Watch the look on their face, when you tell them that it's NOT Mt. Everest...but Mauna Kea on the Big Island.
Old 05-12-2018, 07:44 PM
Sage

Yep, those islands are the tips of volcanoes having bases in some of the deepest part of the Pacific.

BTW my friends made the mistake of buying into a condo complex of 87 units. Only 9 are owner occupied. The vast majority are Air bnb units. Their HOA is $1,200 a month! The Vog has really gotten bad in that area. It has been a nightmare.

My concern is that if that volcano really blows no one will be able to get out by air! Of airplanes and ash clouds: What we've learned since Eyjafjallajokull | EARTH Magazine

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine

Last edited by manaboutown; 05-12-2018 at 07:49 PM.
Old 05-12-2018, 07:51 PM
Sage

Quote:
Yep, those islands are the tips of volcanoes having bases in some of the deepest part of the Pacific.

BTW my friends made the mistake of buying into a condo complex of 87 units. Only 9 are owner occupied. The vast majority are Air bnb units. Their HOA is $1,200 a month! The Vog has really gotten bad in that area. It has been a nightmare
Living full-time, in basically a hotel with everyone else coming & going...would definitely suck.

As for the VOG, it is certainly a major concern..for my friends also.

For those those who say "no big deal"...talk to those who live there.

Portions of Hawaii'''s Big Island to face brunt of Kīlauea'''s toxic gas, vog this weekend

Quote:
Vog is smog or haze that forms when moisture is present, and it contains smoke, dust and gases from a volcanic eruption.
Old 05-12-2018, 08:06 PM
Sage

Quote:
Living full-time, in basically a hotel with everyone else coming & going...would definitely suck. [/url]
Well, my friends are not bashful and are opportunistic. They regularly dumpster dive to obtain and cook some very expensive frozen protein such as abalone, lobster, steak and lamb chops which the tourists buy but don't get around to eating as they tend to survive on their 'bottled' groceries. They almost never find any booze : although from time to time someone will knock on their door with an unopened bottle. The complex gets trashed by the "guests" who are there to party at the pool, hot tub, beach and golf course. The renters also leave snorkeling gear, sunscreen, beach towels and flip flops behind which my friends take to Goodwill.

Last edited by manaboutown; 05-12-2018 at 08:14 PM.
Old 05-13-2018, 07:10 PM
Sage

I wonder how much of the new lava will be aa lava and how much will be pahoehoe lava?

Old 05-13-2018, 07:15 PM
Sage

Quote:
I wonder how much of the new lava will be aa lava and how much will be pahoehoe lava?
Although both types are pretty warm....I prefer the pahoehoe type.

It's easier to outrun.

Lava Types

Quote:
Pahoehoe forms when lava flows more slowly.
Old 05-14-2018, 01:22 PM
Sage

Not good.

Hawaii issues warning for '''explosive eruption''' of volcano as 18th fissure opens

Quote:
An 18th fissure began spewing magma on Sunday as officials in Hawaii warned of the possibility for an "explosive eruption" as lava continues to withdraw from the summit lake at Kilauea.
Old 05-14-2018, 01:37 PM
Sage

Really, really scary!

"The new danger comes from the lava level that is dropping inside the volcano. If it falls below the water table, water will pour onto the lava, generating steam that will likely explode from the summit in a shower of rocks, ash and sulfur dioxide gases."

Hawaiian films huge molten chunks of rock being thrown in the air | Daily Mail Online

Last edited by manaboutown; 05-14-2018 at 02:35 PM.
Old 05-16-2018, 01:24 PM
Sage

Are you freaking kidding me?!

I'm a golfnut myself, but...nope, no way.

Golfers play as volcano rages behind them
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	Golfing during volcano eruption.PNG
Views:	108
Size:	412.1 KB
ID:	75088  
Old 05-16-2018, 01:55 PM
Sage

Some people are nuts or fail to recognize the danger. Here are some photos of golfers and gawkers, some before and after photos and some videos of the action.

Hawaii goes onred alert for 'major eruption' of Kilauea volcano | Daily Mail Online

Last edited by manaboutown; 05-16-2018 at 02:02 PM.
Old 05-16-2018, 02:55 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Hard to make the evacuation of more than 1,800 people and dozens of homes & vehicles destroyed...much worse.

Hawaii volcano damage in pictures: Latest photos as lava DESTROYS homes and land | World | News | Express.co.uk
Those are the scariest photos ever.

Tags
lava, island, big, volcano, hawaii

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.