Heads up on "phishing"

Closed Thread
Old 05-08-2015, 08:35 AM
Default Heads up on "phishing"

If you are one of the millions whose information was stolen from Anthem or Blue Cross Blue Shield be aware of "phishing" attempts. Just got my first "phish" from the UK with health issues being the topic. Delete,delete.
If you look at the header you can usually spot the ones from outside the U.S.
Old 05-08-2015, 09:05 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,477 Times in 548 Posts

Can you tell for certain this was due to the attack on Anthem data? If so, how?
Old 05-08-2015, 05:16 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcxr750 View Post
If you are one of the millions whose information was stolen from Anthem or Blue Cross Blue Shield be aware of "phishing" attempts. Just got my first "phish" from the UK with health issues being the topic. Delete,delete.
If you look at the header you can usually spot the ones from outside the U.S.
I don't understand how that (above) qualifies as "phishing". Were they trying to impersonate one of your health care providers or trying to get you to give personal info? Just asking…. Thanks

Don

Western PA, Marietta GA, finally TV....
Old 05-08-2015, 09:50 PM

As usual the email contains a link which you can click on. If you click on the link they could request personal information or pass along a virus to your computer. Maybe, someone had better research the definition of phishing. I have no known reason anyone would contact me from England. Looking at the header shows the email from the UK.
To clarify my info was stolen thanks also to Home Depot. Do you think an offer from the Bank of England of 30,000,000 pound sterling is legit. Click on the link to provide banking account information.
Yes, the email offered medical information for a longer life. Just click on the link!!!
Old 05-08-2015, 10:10 PM

I failed to mention that I received a letter from Anthem indicating I was one of several million whose information was stolen. They warned not to respond to emails from unknown sources. They also provide ID theft protection for 2 years. If you didn't get a letter from Anthem then this posting isn't as relevant. Some info related to BCBS subscribers was also compromised. This was in the letter from Anthem.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.