Help understanding operation of my AC unit with de-humidistat

Closed Thread
Old 05-07-2011, 08:12 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by iaudit View Post
Alan
Have you found anything out yet about why the air handler continues to run when trying to use the dehumidistat?
Today was the day for the annual inspection/cleaning of the AC at 8 AM. Same company that installed the dehumidistat. The person who did the cleaning did not know why my problem was happening, but he called the owner. Have not heard back yet, but will bring closure to the thread when I do.

The installer is a person highly recommended on TOTV, so am very interested how this plays out and will report back. I expected looking into the problem to be handled during this 8 AM appointment, but will blame that on folks that setup the appointment and give some leeway for now.
Old 05-08-2011, 04:28 AM
Veteran member

Hw much does a dehumidistat cost including installation??

"The difficult we can do immediately the impossible just takes a little longer"
Old 05-09-2011, 11:16 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by hedoman View Post
Hw much does a dehumidistat cost including installation??
I paid $175 for a cleaning and dehumidistat last year, so I would guess the de-humidistat was $120 - $125 installed.
Old 05-09-2011, 11:25 AM
Sage
Default Well, I have been told this is the way it works....

I am just the messenger, I do not have the knowledge (YET) to know which is right or wrong, or if other parameters exist for the decision, but I have no reason to not trust this installer (Chuck Farrell).

I spoke to Chuck this AM and was told this is how he wires them per Trane. He says the Trane air handler is extremely efficient and should run when the temperature in the room exceeds the thermostat regardless of the humidity level.

I know Munn's does not install a dehumidistats this way. I know this as my Dad's air handler will not come on until the temperature is high AND the humidity is high.

I guess I have a little research to do.....

Last edited by ajbrown; 05-09-2011 at 11:27 AM. Reason: such a bad typist
Old 05-09-2011, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajbrown View Post
I am just the messenger, I do not have the knowledge (YET) to know which is right or wrong, or if other parameters exist for the decision, but I have no reason to not trust this installer (Chuck Farrell).

I spoke to Chuck this AM and was told this is how he wires them per Trane. He says the Trane air handler is extremely efficient and should run when the temperature in the room exceeds the thermostat regardless of the humidity level.

I know Munn's does not install a dehumidistats this way. I know this as my Dad's air handler will not come on until the temperature is high AND the humidity is high.

Ours is wired as Munn's recommends (temp AND humidity must exceed levels set for AC to turn on) ... does anyone know why you would want the air handler to run by itself without AC?

John
Old 05-09-2011, 03:05 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnM View Post
Ours is wired as Munn's recommends (temp AND humidity must exceed levels set for AC to turn on) ... does anyone know why you would want the air handler to run by itself without AC?

John
No idea - My guess is that there is some benefit to circulating the air in the house even if it isn't being cooled/dehumidified. I don't think the circulating fan requires very much energy to do its thing.
Old 05-09-2011, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajbrown View Post
I am just the messenger,

Did Chuck recommend temperature and humidistat settings? It seems to me if the thermostat is set low the air handler would be running all the time, or if set to high the compressor won't come on when the humidistat calls for dehumidification.
We install a humidistat to cut our electric bills and have less wear and tear on our equiptment while we are away. While keeping mold from forming in our homes. I'm not sure this is the best way to accomplish this.

Bob
Old 05-09-2011, 03:34 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob45 View Post
Did Chuck recommend temperature and humidistat settings? It seems to me if the thermostat is set low the air handler would be running all the time, or if set to high the compressor won't come on when the humidistat calls for dehumidification.
We install a humidistat to cut our electric bills and have less wear and tear on our equiptment while we are away. While keeping mold from forming in our homes. I'm not sure this is the best way to accomplish this.

Bob
Today he said:
Tempurature: 85
Humidity: 60%
These numbers were different last year, I wrote down 82 degrees and 60% after the installation. I am crafting an email to Trane support as another resource. Like I said, I have no idea the right answer, but want to know why different installers use different techniques to solve the same problem.
Old 05-09-2011, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ_Boston View Post
No idea - My guess is that there is some benefit to circulating the air in the house even if it isn't being cooled/dehumidified. I don't think the circulating fan requires very much energy to do its thing.
I think you are probably correct ... we run a couple of ceiling fans on low ... I think I am getting the same effect ... YMMV
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.