Herd Immunity

Closed Thread
Old 10-31-2020, 11:21 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michread View Post
I rather get the flu than become like the walking dead who have Alzheimer’s.
Excerpt: “A new study has found that increasing symptoms of anxiety and depression may be linked to an increase in beta-amyloid proteins, a hallmark characteristic of Alzheimer’s disease.”

Anxiety Disorders Could Lead to Alzheimer'''s

And we Villagers, if we choose, can stay ahead of the curve by taking advantage of all the opportunities at our disposal right here to stay happy and healthy. If we make the choice.

Sure things have slowed down, but take precautions and get out there and LIVE!
Old 10-31-2020, 11:21 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,645 Times in 1,516 Posts

I don't reject what you are saying. I just refuse to allow YOUR "science" to stop me from living my life. I wear a mask if I feel like wearing one, and think it is appropriate. I refuse to run amok in mass hysteria that some of you seem to perpetuate. If you do not like it, then don't come near me. After all, if you stay your safe distance you have no fear, right? Trying to Mask shame me does not work. Since reading all these posts on the subject, I am less inclined to feel threatened by the virus. You call it science and I do not disagree with you. However, I call it mass hysteria. If you feel the mask keeps you safe, then by all means, wear one. Wear a military gas mask to be really sure that you are safe. Hey, wear a hazmat suit. Just stay away from me, whether you have a mask on or not. Mass hysteria is more contagious than the COVID.
Old 10-31-2020, 11:25 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,020 Times in 1,746 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiverpoolWalrus View Post
While I admire your conviction and partly agree, science, it must be said, is subject to interpretation. As such, disagreement among scientists is not at all unusual.

What It Means When Scientists Disagree - Scientific American Blog Network
Isn’t that is how we progress? Over time and effort we know more and more and it is through disagreement that we move forwards. (I used probit from biology to analyse economic events, some were very sceptical.) But what is the alternative to science, fairytales?
Old 10-31-2020, 12:34 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,168 Times in 1,929 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byte1 View Post
I don't reject what you are saying. I just refuse to allow YOUR "science" to stop me from living my life. I wear a mask if I feel like wearing one, and think it is appropriate. I refuse to run amok in mass hysteria that some of you seem to perpetuate. If you do not like it, then don't come near me. After all, if you stay your safe distance you have no fear, right? Trying to Mask shame me does not work. Since reading all these posts on the subject, I am less inclined to feel threatened by the virus. You call it science and I do not disagree with you. However, I call it mass hysteria. If you feel the mask keeps you safe, then by all means, wear one. Wear a military gas mask to be really sure that you are safe. Hey, wear a hazmat suit. Just stay away from me, whether you have a mask on or not. Mass hysteria is more contagious than the COVID.
Actually, when I wear a mask, I'm protecting YOU, not me. I thought for sure, by now you would be aware of that. The more people that wear masks to protect others, the safer we all will be.

This pandemic is raging in our country, despite that there are those that say otherwise. How do I know? There are hospitals in the good old USA that are reaching or are at capacity. They are setting up satellite hospital beds in parking lots for Covid patients. That is just sad. I can not believe that is happening in our country.

Wear a mask.
Social distance.
Wash hands frequently.
Don't touch your face with unwashed hands.

Simple stuff we all should be doing to slow the spread of this virus until a vaccine can be distributed to the general population.
Old 10-31-2020, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Which literature?

Here is the information from the CDC on adjuvants and preservatives used in vaccines which are aluminum and ethyl based mercury.

Adjuvants and Vaccines | Vaccine Safety | CDC

Thimerosal in Flu Vaccine | CDC
Did you actually take the time to read the reports that you linked, or stop when you got to the scary parts?

From the first link above: "Aluminum salts, such as aluminum hydroxide, aluminum phosphate, and aluminum potassium sulfate have been used safely in vaccines for more than 70 years." Plus this: "Aluminum is one of the most common metals found in nature and is present in air, food, and water. Scientific research has shown the amount of aluminum exposure in people who follow the recommended vaccine schedule is low and is not readily absorbed by the body." It also explains what adjuvants such as the various aluminum salts are & why they are added to vaccines.

And from your second link: "Thimerosal use in vaccines and other medical products has a record of being very safe. Data from many studies show no evidence of harm caused by the low doses of thimerosal in vaccines."

Much less frightening, don't you agree?
Old 10-31-2020, 04:45 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeebean View Post
Actually, when I wear a mask, I'm protecting YOU, not me. I thought for sure, by now you would be aware of that. The more people that wear masks to protect others, the safer we all will be.

This pandemic is raging in our country, despite that there are those that say otherwise. How do I know? There are hospitals in the good old USA that are reaching or are at capacity. They are setting up satellite hospital beds in parking lots for Covid patients. That is just sad. I can not believe that is happening in our country.

Wear a mask.
Social distance.
Wash hands frequently.
Don't touch your face with unwashed hands.

Simple stuff we all should be doing to slow the spread of this virus until a vaccine can be distributed to the general population.
Like I said, I don't disagree. I just won't become a member of the mass hysteria club. I do what is right according to what I believe, not because it makes someone else happy. I am not responsible for you (no offense meant) so just don't put yourself in harms way and we will both get along favorably. If I am out and about, it is because I do not feel there is any danger of my becoming infected and carrying it home to my spouse. I feel that if you (generalizing) fear exposure, then you should take the proper precautions and not rely on others to "protect" you. Sorry if that offends others, but if one wishes to live foolishly and take chances with their own lives, it's not up to me to set them straight or bend over backward to protect them. Time for the weak to put on adult pants and take responsibility for their own lives. Not rely on others or the gov to coddle them. I have no intention of protecting the foolish. Stay away from me whether I am wearing a mask or not.
By the way, I don't wear sun screen when I am working in the yard, either. I live dangerously.
Old 10-31-2020, 04:54 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,020 Times in 1,746 Posts

So basically what I hear is; “I have the right of way and if you think you’re going to get run over, you better get out of my way!”

As a person put it, who just buried his mother from Covid, “We have lost our humanity.”
Old 10-31-2020, 06:18 PM

Next time you need surgery be sure to let the operating room staff and the surgeon know there is no need for them to wear masks while you have your hip replaced or have Heart surgery. 😂
Old 11-01-2020, 07:33 AM
Sage
Location: The Villages and the Northern Neck on the Chesapeake Bay, VA.
Thanked 3,112 Times in 1,344 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by roscoguy View Post
Did you actually take the time to read the reports that you linked, or stop when you got to the scary parts?

From the first link above: "Aluminum salts, such as aluminum hydroxide, aluminum phosphate, and aluminum potassium sulfate have been used safely in vaccines for more than 70 years." Plus this: "Aluminum is one of the most common metals found in nature and is present in air, food, and water. Scientific research has shown the amount of aluminum exposure in people who follow the recommended vaccine schedule is low and is not readily absorbed by the body." It also explains what adjuvants such as the various aluminum salts are & why they are added to vaccines.

And from your second link: "Thimerosal use in vaccines and other medical products has a record of being very safe. Data from many studies show no evidence of harm caused by the low doses of thimerosal in vaccines."

Much less frightening, don't you agree?
Another good reason to eat more oysters!
Old 11-01-2020, 11:38 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet View Post
So basically what I hear is; “I have the right of way and if you think you’re going to get run over, you better get out of my way!”

As a person put it, who just buried his mother from Covid, “We have lost our humanity.”
Not at all. You are comparing two different thoughts.
You have the right to wear a mask. You have no right to demand others wear a mask. If you feel that this is not sufficient, then you should avoid those that you feel are putting you in danger. If I have the right of way on a street, I still have to avoid hitting a pedestrian. However, if I am driving down the street and a pedestrian throws themselves in front of me, I am not at fault for running over that pedestrian. It was that person's fault for expecting me to be able to stop.
On the other hand, "losing humanity" has nothing to do with that subject of being subjected to others' demands. I have a great deal of humanity and will always assist the needy. However, I am not subject to a demand to assist the needy. Humanity is not be a slave to other's whims. Humanity is based on charity.
There seems to be a view by half of our country that believes that the haves must assist the have nots. If a person is forced to do something against one's will, it no longer becomes charity; it becomes a tax or law.
Therefore, by using the premise that humanity is based on the whims of others, those that must wear a mask SHOULD isolate themselves from those that do not. You should and must feel charitable towards those you do not agree with as being equal recipients of your charity as you deem must share their charity with you. That is "humanity."
So, stay away from me when I am not wearing my mask and I will keep my distance from you when you deem it necessary to wear a mask. But, do not presume to limit my mobility based on your presumption that you have the right of way and I do not.
Humanity is not based upon your definition of what others must do for you.
Old 11-01-2020, 12:56 PM
Default Great Barrington Declaration

Clearly, no one who believes masks are the panacea, and herd immunity is the product of ignorance, has not read the Great Barrington Declaration, available on-line, signed by over 44,000 Medical Doctors and Medical Scientists worldwide.
Old 11-06-2020, 09:52 PM
Veteran member

I love my kids, I adore my husband, I love my elderly parents. I do not believe that mask wearing helps them and I do feel that mask wearing harms our retail/food service/pharmacy employees and makes them more susceptible to infection (non covid). It is time to do away with masks.
Old 11-07-2020, 05:52 AM

Quote:
With herd immunity you don’t get a shot of mercury and aluminum. Vaccines contain known toxins that in any other ingest able, and /or injected form are banned.
Scientific studies have shown this to be false.
Old 11-07-2020, 06:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justus View Post
Clearly, no one who believes masks are the panacea, and herd immunity is the product of ignorance, has not read the Great Barrington Declaration, available on-line, signed by over 44,000 Medical Doctors and Medical Scientists worldwide.
For those not familiar with the Barrington Declaration, it is controversial, was drafted last month by three public health scientists who were hosted by the American Institute for Economic Research.

The basic assumptions in the declaration are that children and younger adults have a much lower risk of serious health consequences from COVID-19; herd immunity can be achieved by allowing such lower-risk populations to become infected and thereby achieve natural resistance; older and higher-risk populations should and can be protected from community transmission; and the negative consequences of a shutdown outweigh the negative consequences that would ensue from following this "Focused Protection" approach.

Each of these assumptions is flawed or untested. We don't know what the long term effects of Covid are on young children. It is becoming clear that herd immunity can only be achieved with a vaccine as it appears antibodies drop after several months in previous Covid positive people, making them susceptible to additional infections. And realistically, how can we protect old people? The simple answer is getting people to wear masks and social distance, but taking a look at recent rallies, and even riding around the Square at Sumter landing, it is apparent that masks don't matter to a lot of people. And it is pretty tough to control the interaction of young children and their high risk grandparents. Lastly, no one is advocating a complete lock down. What is being advocated is masks, social distancing, and contact tracing to control the disease and prevent lockdowns from being necessary.The bottom line, major scientific organizations are denouncing the Barrington Declaration, calling it life-threatening and practically impossible. Dr. Fauci called it nonsense.
Old 11-07-2020, 10:32 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,390 Times in 2,068 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8notes View Post
For those not familiar with the Barrington Declaration, it is controversial, was drafted last month by three public health scientists who were hosted by the American Institute for Economic Research.

The basic assumptions in the declaration are that children and younger adults have a much lower risk of serious health consequences from COVID-19; herd immunity can be achieved by allowing such lower-risk populations to become infected and thereby achieve natural resistance; older and higher-risk populations should and can be protected from community transmission; and the negative consequences of a shutdown outweigh the negative consequences that would ensue from following this "Focused Protection" approach.

Each of these assumptions is flawed or untested. We don't know what the long term effects of Covid are on young children. It is becoming clear that herd immunity can only be achieved with a vaccine as it appears antibodies drop after several months in previous Covid positive people, making them susceptible to additional infections. And realistically, how can we protect old people? The simple answer is getting people to wear masks and social distance, but taking a look at recent rallies, and even riding around the Square at Sumter landing, it is apparent that masks don't matter to a lot of people. And it is pretty tough to control the interaction of young children and their high risk grandparents. Lastly, no one is advocating a complete lock down. What is being advocated is masks, social distancing, and contact tracing to control the disease and prevent lockdowns from being necessary.The bottom line, major scientific organizations are denouncing the Barrington Declaration, calling it life-threatening and practically impossible. Dr. Fauci called it nonsense.
Herd Immunity simply means there is enough immunity in the community that a virus stops spreading. Vaccinating the population is one method of reaching herd immunity. Exposing a large segment of the population to the virus to allow them to become immune is a much more controversial approach.

I suspect in six months or so the same comments will be made and questions raised about the vaccination program:
  • Will enough of the population take the vaccine?
  • How long does the immunity it creates really last?
  • Is it safe / do people survive taking it?
  • Will there be long term effects from taking it? How can you be sure?
  • How will we know who has taken it and developed immunity?
  • How do we protect the people who won't or can't take it?

I'm not advocating against masks or the eventual vaccine. On the contrary, wearing masks, even if it turns out they are not effective, at least shows that people are taking the virus seriously. If an effective vaccine comes out in a few months, that's great. But in the meantime, I think "science" needs to be open to all reasonable possibilities and not look to a vaccine as *only* viable solution.
Closed Thread

Tags
herd, mask, immunity, life, stay

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.