Day Labor

Closed Thread
Old 02-16-2008, 06:19 PM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to l2ridehd
Default Day Labor

Does anyone know where I can hire a couple day laborers near the Villages. In Virginia where I live now you can go to most 7-11's and hire one or two people for $10 an hour to work for you. I need to hire a couple in TV to move some furniture. Need them for at least 4 or 5 hours. Thanks.
Old 02-16-2008, 06:28 PM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch
Default Re: Day Labor

Doesn't exist here. I tried when I moved in. You'd have to probably go to Ocala to find some. I did find a guy who helped with my move and we had a major problem because the moving van couldn't get on my street. The van parked behind Albertson's and we loaded up his cart and brought it to the house. Even so, he was incredibly fast with only a woman to help him. Can't remember the cost but it wasn't too bad, although not as cheap as day laborers.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 02-16-2008, 06:34 PM

Go find a 7/11 http://www.7-eleven.com/storelocator.../storelocator/
PrxInput.aspx

Then ask the clerk. I'll bet he/she can think of someone. Good luck.
Old 02-17-2008, 12:52 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,665 Times in 594 Posts

I2 - well friend, I do have a price, but I'm really expensive and take lots of breaks.
On the plus side, I'm great company. Just give me a ring and bring your wallet!!!
(Otherwise, I've not a clue about day labor, just wanted to say hello)
Old 02-17-2008, 01:41 AM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to l2ridehd

Thanks John. I will take you up on that sometime, but for a small job. Actually several folks have PMed me and day labor is very available in and around the Villages. There are several places where you can pick them up and get the job done.
Old 02-17-2008, 01:52 AM
Sage

You might try at Home Depot and Lowe's

Around every Home Depot in Cali there are usually about 30 day laborers at any one time.
Da Chicago So Side; The Village of Park Forest, IL; 3/7 Cav, 3rd Inf Div, Schweinfurt, Ger 65-66; MACV J12 Saigon 66-67; San Leandro, Hayward & Union City, CA (San Francisco East Bay Area) GO DUBS ! (aka W's)
Old 02-17-2008, 02:11 AM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

L2, send me that list please. I had zero luck!

Chuck, HomeDepot and Lowe's won't allow them here.

From what info I could get, TV won't allow them and (supposedly) the gate guards will stop you from bringing them in in your car. Mind you, I have no idea of the accuracy of any of this. I just know I really tried to find some when I moved here.

Have used day laborers many times in California and never regretted it. And, before we get into a political discussion about them being illegal, don't bother saying it -- I know they are and, quite frankly, I don't care. They are here. They are going to stay here. They are hard workers. They do the jobs Americans won't at an affordable price, at least for individuals. And I paid them a decent wage, usually between $15-20/hour.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 02-17-2008, 03:48 PM
Banned

The question comes, would you ask someone walking down the street whom you don't know, dressed in old jeans and tee shirt, who you probably will have a tough time identifying in the future, to come into your home and look around for any reason? If the answer is no, what's the difference between that person and someone you hire on the street corner?

One of the good things about TV as a developer is that there is a limited number of builders (and their subcontractors) who work the area. Other places I've lived in FL (Seminole and Orange counties) where there were free-access developments, the burglary rate was brutal, and more times than not the burglars were laborers hired short-term by subcontractors who were able to witness the comings-and-goings of the residents.

If you think street-corner day laborers are okay, then stop by the Sheriff's office for a chat on where the best place is to hire and who's okay. If you're new to the area, wouldn't you want to know where it's "safe" and what the goings-on are here, and who best to answer that question than the Sheriff's public affairs liaison? If you don't want to go check out the area via the Sheriff because of the legality of the situation, well....?

I'm in the "immigration business" and have heard all of the arguments - pro and con - about day laborers, and have been involved in both sides of the argument. In the end these are folk who are being exploited by their situation, and perpetuating the situation is not charity or public concern - it's still looking for a personal bargain.

People will take all the risks they want, day laborers are included in that. I can bore you to death with the cases dealing with medical costs for on-the-job injuries, workman's comp claims (and failure to provide for it) and a myriad of other issues. That's not even "immigration law" issues, but labor law relating to ALL workers, legal and illegal alike.

Personally, one of the attractions of TV is the level of residential security that exists. To me, things that reduce that level just don't seem worth it.

Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.