Historic all female space walk crew

Closed Thread
Old 11-14-2023, 08:06 PM
Default Historic all female space walk crew

Accidently drops tool bag into orbit.

Historic All-Female Space Walk Crew Accidentally Drops Tool Bag Into Orbit – PJ Media
Old 11-14-2023, 09:19 PM

Is it "historic" because it was an all female crew space walk or because they dropped a tool bag into orbit? Don't answer, it's a rhetorical question. We live in a time where everything is deemed historic. I just don't get it. I mean the first space walk was historic. Maybe you could argue the first time a female took a space walk was historic. After that, no. It is like what they have done to baseball. There are so many statistics they have come up with that I have no clue what they mean. And right on cue, somebody sets a new record that I don't understand but it is historic. I long for the generation before mine, the Greatest Generation. Nothing they did was historic, it was just their job and they would tell you that.
Old 11-15-2023, 03:05 AM
Sage
Thanked 7,382 Times in 2,520 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjrjck View Post
Is it "historic" because it was an all female crew space walk or because they dropped a tool bag into orbit? Don't answer, it's a rhetorical question. We live in a time where everything is deemed historic. I just don't get it. I mean the first space walk was historic. Maybe you could argue the first time a female took a space walk was historic. After that, no. It is like what they have done to baseball. There are so many statistics they have come up with that I have no clue what they mean. And right on cue, somebody sets a new record that I don't understand but it is historic. I long for the generation before mine, the Greatest Generation. Nothing they did was historic, it was just their job and they would tell you that.
There is also the Historical side of The Villages.
That must be nearly 40+ years old now.
I have a Historical suit older than that!
The other word I find that has/is losing its meaning is 'Hero.'
Old 11-15-2023, 05:04 AM
Sage
Thanked 14,052 Times in 5,337 Posts

Historic really? Now my horse doing space walk would be.
Old 11-15-2023, 06:11 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,682 Times in 1,534 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjrjck View Post
True words.

My thought is that all other things being equal, people should be picked for tasks based not on what is between their legs, but what is between their ears.
Old 11-15-2023, 10:44 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdOfFive View Post
True words.

My thought is that all other things being equal, people should be picked for tasks based not on what is between their legs, but what is between their ears.
How sexist
Old 11-15-2023, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu from NYC View Post
Historic really? Now my horse doing space walk would be.
When Elon put a Tesla into space, that was historic. I'm glad we have female astronauts brave enough to strap in on top of a giant rocket, that takes guts.

The whole push of wokeism is getting tiresome and overdone and does not sell. Marvel, Disney etc will learn or suffer.

I am all for strong female leads in movies, but nothing has come close to Ripley in Alien franchise. A true hero without any superpowers.
Old 11-16-2023, 07:20 AM
Default hype

my answer to hype news - so what?
Old 11-16-2023, 08:34 AM
Default Accidently drops tool bag into orbit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erider View Post
I worked in the Aero Space for 40 yrs. You are trained to tether all tools when working around spaced based systems. That bag of tools had very expensive one of kind tools it should have been tethered to them or the spacecraft.
Old 11-16-2023, 09:06 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Hmmm....Really...thats all you got? Sounds like someone who just joined this forum is jealous.
That knock you hear on your door is the 1950s calling
Old 11-16-2023, 09:53 AM
Sage
Thanked 14,052 Times in 5,337 Posts

Quote:
Interesting!

Is gender more important than ability?
Agreed need competence
Old 11-16-2023, 12:22 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,910 Times in 1,528 Posts

Quote:
Interesting!

Is gender more important than ability?
Maybe the answer to that question was one of the reasons for putting together an all-women crew. Possibly a psychological study - women have a reputation for working well together in a group project. Men have a societal reputation for being individualistic and maybe too independent.
.....Maybe the space program is trying to resolve ANY questions like that BEFORE investing in sending crews out on long-term missions. Obviously, I don't know IF they are trying to resolve any gender mental strengths and weaknesses. For all I know, they may have already studied that ?
Old 11-16-2023, 12:30 PM

Quote:

I am all for strong female leads in movies, but nothing has come close to Ripley in Alien franchise. A true hero without any superpowers.
Definitely one of the best!
Old 11-16-2023, 01:44 PM
Default Accidently drops tool bag into orbit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastskiguy View Post
Definitely one of the best!
How do you compare a Hollywood fake hero to someone with the real courage to walk in space??
Old 11-16-2023, 07:42 PM

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by positiveinlife View Post
How do you compare a Hollywood fake hero to someone with the real courage to walk in space??
It's like comparing a fish to a bicycle of course. But I suspect you weren't replying to me....I merely said Alien was one of the best.

Joe
Closed Thread

Tags
historic, female, space, walk, crew

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.