Historic day for Florida

Closed Thread
Old 07-17-2014, 02:04 PM
Default Historic day for Florida

Moments ago, a Judge Garcia struck down Florida’s marriage ban, affirming that the denial of marriage to same-sex couples in our state is unconstitutional.
About time Florida has lagged behind some other states for too long.
Old 07-17-2014, 02:15 PM
Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyinglady View Post
Moments ago, a Judge Garcia struck down Florida’s marriage ban, affirming that the denial of marriage to same-sex couples in our state is unconstitutional.
About time Florida has lagged behind some other states for too long.

Unfortunately this only applies to the Florida Keys, but the rest of the state should quickly follow.

http://www.miamiherald.com/2014/07/1...can-marry.html
Old 07-17-2014, 02:40 PM

I think you will find hat it is only Monroe County that will not be issuing the licences until later this month. I just heard that there are at least 3 gay couples, from the villages, hotfooting it to get their licence as I type.
Old 07-17-2014, 03:23 PM

I am sorry, janmcm, it seems that your information is more reliable than mine. Nevertheless this a great day for equality in Florida and I am sure there will be celebrations across the state.
Old 07-17-2014, 03:29 PM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

It's a start, which is more than I expected. Here's hoping the appellate courts don't reverse Judge Garcia's decision.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 07-17-2014, 04:06 PM
Sage

It actually sounds as if Florida might just be entering into the 21st century at last.
Old 07-17-2014, 04:47 PM

21st century WOW, only 15 years late.
Old 07-17-2014, 06:50 PM
Veteran member

I just don't understand Florida at all (politically). How can this ruling be legal in one county and not legal in the rest of the state?
Old 07-17-2014, 07:19 PM
Veteran member

Population reduction promote gay marrige
Old 07-17-2014, 07:52 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDoug View Post
Population reduction promote gay marrige

Huh?
Old 07-18-2014, 08:39 AM

Well first I didn't think political threads were allowed here. Second, I just wish we could get this gay marriage thing over with so the gay community doesn't have to keep forcing to justify their gay lifestyle to the rest of us. Only representing less than 3% of the population, Hollywood is trying hard to convince us their lifestyle is cool, chic, and above heterosexual relationships. My wife and I have a game to see which character of a new show will be gay. Every show has gay people in it. Now your starting to see gay children on Disney shows. Tires of hearing about the gays. While I respect and everyone should love who you love, just quit forcing your gay lifestyle on the rest of us.
Old 07-18-2014, 09:16 AM
Gold member
Location: British Columbia, Seattle and Haciendas at Mission Hills

It is unfortunate that people are so misinformed and misguided on the issues. This is not a political discussion, it is a human rights discussion. As a member of Equality Florida, and a Notary, I look forward to the day when I can perform marriages for all of my friends who wish to make this commitment. No one is forcing anything on anyone and if in fact one is only now discovering that in every show or every aspect of life they are finding people of all diversity, then they have finally come to realize that our world is a colorful one made up of all different people, and they have awoken to not a new reality but one that they have closed their eyes to. I would hope in The Villages one could find more productive games to play than that previously mentioned, check out your Thursday Rec calendar.
Old 07-18-2014, 09:50 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,480 Times in 713 Posts

Statistically there are 2500 gays in The Villages. I'm not saying that is the case, because we may have unique demographics here. But that translates to 7 million in the U.S. It's time to stop worrying.
Old 07-18-2014, 10:36 AM
Sage
Location: Summer at the Jersey Shore, Fall in New England [Maine], Winter in TV!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jane032657 View Post
It is unfortunate that people are so misinformed and misguided on the issues. This is not a political discussion, it is a human rights discussion.
snipped
Don't human rights issues become political issues once laws are written to establish/protect the human right; and their 'politicalness' further emphasized when constitutionality must be adjudicated in court?

Old 07-18-2014, 02:30 PM

So a local judge has ruled that the LGBT community has additional rights that most people don't have? Last time i looked you have the same rights I do. If you want to marry, you are free to do so, you just have to marry someone of the opposite sex. Just like it has been for the last 60 centuries. Or are you telling me that you should have some additional rights that we have not heard of before because you are "Different"? Should persons that practice incest, bestiality or pedophilia also be granted additional protections under the law? What makes you special?
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.