Home Depot Coming to Wildwood

Old 10-30-2022, 07:21 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,737 Times in 1,556 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nucky View Post
So this offsets the news that some of the new Villages may be in a flood zone. (Not verified by me yet.) I am a Home Depot Lover. The only reason you would ever see me at Lowes is a zero-interest deal on something big or my wife has the car. Home Depot #1
Pretty much agree. Lowe's is the Wal-Mart of big box home improvement stores.

Back UpNort there were three players in the game, in order of quality (in my opinion) Home Depot, Menard's, and Lowe's. Home Depot carried the best quality stuff but pricier than the other two. I did a lot of woodworking back in the day and Menard's had the best lumber, though a lot of their power tools were brands I'd never heard of and among the woodworkers of the area didn't have that great a reputation. Lowe's was a last-resort stop: their lumber was terrible in most respects; huge voids in the Chi-ply they carried even on their best-grade stuff. Their dimension lumber resembled skis. I'd stop there for small hand tools or sanding pads but that's about all.

Old 10-30-2022, 07:28 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,156 Times in 579 Posts
Default Sparr

Will Sparr survive? Where once the entrance was a real hassle, now why bother? Perhaps McDonald’s will hold it together?

“Everyone may not be good, but there's always something good in everyone. Never judge anyone shortly because every saint has a past and every sinner has a future.” - Oscar Wilde

Default Home Depot and Lowe's next to each other?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainger99 View Post
Isn’t that about a mile from Lowes? Not sure why they put two similar stores that close together.

Too bad we aren’t getting a Costco or Trader Joe’s.
They do it all over the country, Where one goes the other follows. Good competition. I'm sure they monitor each other for how busy the area is.
Trader Joe's and Costco will be sure to follow.

Sage
Thanked 13,966 Times in 5,352 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Normal View Post
And a mile from ACE. Bye, bye mom and pop store.
I remember years ago in Georgia, a Home Depot was built immediately next door to a successful local store called "Builderama". Builderama was gone within about a month or so. They didn't have a chance. I never have understood how ACE Hardware stores can stay in business. It seems like most customers don't spend much money there. But, I think that Amazon is a bigger threat to Home Depot, Lowes, and ACE. Why drive to a store when you can get it the next day and usually for less money?

Old 10-30-2022, 07:30 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,077 Times in 433 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Normal View Post
And a mile from ACE. Bye, bye mom and pop store.
Doubtful, and Ace is hardly a mom & pop outfit. There are many niches in the hardware world that Ace fills, that HD and Lowe's do not. Need just a couple specialized fasteners? Ace is the place. Need a propane tank refilled? Ace again. Also, Ace usually employs very knowledgeable people who can offer valuable assistance. Often times their staff are retired tradesmen. There will always be a place for Ace.

Old 10-30-2022, 07:31 AM
Default I was waiting...

Quote:
Isn’t that about a mile from Lowes? Not sure why they put two similar stores that close together.

...for the first comment about Costco!

Old 10-30-2022, 07:33 AM
Veteran member

Quote:

Probably the same reason that whenever you see a Walgreen’s, you’ll see a CVS across the street ! LOL !

Old 10-30-2022, 07:33 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken D. View Post
I’ll stick with Lowe’s who provides a discount for all veterans.
I think Home Depot offers the same discount.

Old 10-30-2022, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nucky View Post
So this offsets the news that some of the new Villages may be in a flood zone. (Not verified by me yet.) I am a Home Depot Lover. The only reason you would ever see me at Lowes is a zero-interest deal on something big or my wife has the car. Home Depot #1
I agree. Home Depot has many items that Lowes does not and the Trek to Lady Lake is long for a small item that Lowes doesn't carry. Also the Lowes in Wildwood is terrible when it comes to having stock compared to the Lady Lake Lowes. Home Depot has the best stock most of the time. Also the Wildwood Lowes is also very crowed most days so i feel having this new Home Depot closer is a very good thing.

Hope they put a bagel place in that shopping center too!

Old 10-30-2022, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMo50 View Post
Doubtful, and Ace is hardly a mom & pop outfit. There are many niches in the hardware world that Ace fills, that HD and Lowe's do not. Need just a couple specialized fasteners? Ace is the place. Need a propane tank refilled? Ace again. Also, Ace usually employs very knowledgeable people who can offer valuable assistance. Often times their staff are retired tradesmen. There will always be a place for Ace.
Exactly!

Old 10-30-2022, 07:58 AM
Default Choice

Quote:

Have ever walked into one store and didn't like their selection or they were out of stock on a product, only to drive up to 441 to see if Home Depot had it. I do it all the time. Wasted time, fuel, and money. I actually prefer Home Depot and it'll be nice to have one closer. Plus with all the expansions in the Villages those further south won't want to make the drive to 441. The same could be said for Lowes. Why did they build so close to the Ace hardware store in Wildwood? I actually like going there too. Great people, good help finding what you need.

Old 10-30-2022, 08:01 AM
Default Home Depot and retail in general

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa_lecki View Post
18 posts in and no comment about why it’s not south of 44?
It takes a good 15 years to get retail/restaurants/banks/medical built up to a sufficient level in each new area of The Villages.

That is based on 50 years of their steady development and the retail/restaurant/banks/medical services being built BEHIND that population growth curve.

You have another 5-10 years to see south of 44 getting adequate “neighborhood” services.

Look at 466, which has had a massive FULL TIME residential TV populace (the newer areas have a much more disproportionate number of snowbirds/absentee owners/renters) for over 15 years. That area is STILL growing, and just now getting some good, diverse retail businesses coming in.

466A JUST started getting developed in the past 5 years (after 10 years of a dense population of mostly FULL TIME residents living in the area, not to mention the wildwood population). It will take another 5-10 years for 466A and the 44 corridors to have what everyone is hoping for.

Trader Joe’s, Whole Foods and Costco will never come here. Evidently neither will any really good fine dining restaurants. Our populace simply will not actually support those businesses, and their algorithms know it. There is evidently only a small minority here that will, or is able to, pay the premium for premium foods. Earthfare took a chance on us and got burned. Fresh Market took a chance, and I don’t see how they will make it much longer. Now Sprouts is going to give us a try.

With Sams and now BJs, Costco for sure isn’t going to come here. At least they are putting one in Clermont, which is a wee bit closer than existing stores.

I am happy to see the Home Depot coming to 466A!

I don’t know if other people have noticed, but the other thing that is happening is that a lot of retail and service sector companies that were on the 441 corridor up by Spanish springs areas are not renewing leases. And the vacant spaces are staying vacant. i expect to see more of that in the next few years as stores move to 466, 466A and 44 corridors. That will mean convenience for us, but a whole lot more traffic on our streets as non-villagers take shortcuts to get to retail.

I hope one day we get a referendum on the ballot and take over our own street maintenance so we can become truly gated community. I will pay for that gladly.

Old 10-30-2022, 08:04 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMo50 View Post
I don't know how they can make a profit selling specialized fasteners. I also don't know how they can find knowledgeable people when they pay lower wages than Home Depot and Lowes. Go figure.

Old 10-30-2022, 08:16 AM
Platinum member

With the construction on 27/441, we haven’t been to HD in awhile. Always loved the hot dogs outside HD. Don’t know if they’re still there, but if so, hope they relocate to the new HD on 466A.

Old 10-30-2022, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
The Lowes on 466A is a smaller store than the Lowes on Rt 441. It seems like every time I go there, they don't have what I need. I will be glad to have a Home Depot close by.
Will this Home Depot be the same square footage as on 441?

Tags
home, powell, road, depot, businesses

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.