Honda of Ocala - bait and cram

Old 03-28-2024, 03:12 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,939 Times in 2,459 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shipping up to Boston View Post
Sounds like Honda should not be your next choice in vehicles
Said it was 12 years old. Do you keep car that long? I highly doubt it from rust belt.
Old 03-28-2024, 03:28 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspinmo View Post
Said it was 12 years old. Do you keep car that long? I highly doubt it from rust belt.
I have two.....one is 19 year old domestic vehicle. Actually made with metal and for all of those deficient in geography, manufactured in the rust belt, as in Ohio. Boston is in The New England 'belt'!
Old 03-28-2024, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikerhiker View Post
Thanks for the condolences, maybe someone can direct me to help.
One TPMS (Tire Pressure Monitoring System) sensor died (battery powered).
Bought 4 new Genuine Honda sensors on-line from a Honda dealer (12-year-old car - just a matter of time before more sensors die).
Had them installed at Tires Plus in Leesburg. Good Job !
They tested and found one bad sensor, but all the new ones were transmitting. Read them, but could not program the new sensor numbers into the Control Unit thru the OBD port.

Called 6 independent shops in the area. Three said - not us. Three said - DEALER.
Since bent over in Ocala, researched a Honda manual, says the programming is done with a ATEC VT65.
While this is not a Honda only item, it is quite expensive. Not worth it for most shops.

Any referrals or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

misc: on these genuine Honda sensors, the old sensor numbers cannot be cloned onto the new ones.
(too bad I didn't learn that earlier - aftermarket ones can) Thanks Honda. Then voila, no programming of the control unit.
You spent the 15% just driving there before even getting “bent over”. I would have asked Tire Plus if they had a generic TPM’s for your car. I just had four non Toyota put on my Prius at around $100 per wheel. You did not say the specific model but you might research this site or subscribe to a Honda forum such a this for your answers. For TPMS’s the only way you can save is by installing them yourself (YouTube videos) and have it programmed afterwards. I doubt you will ever want to break the seal on 4 tires for this savings. Sometimes it’s best to pay the piper for some stuff, IMO. Hope this helps
Drive Accord Honda Forums
Old 03-29-2024, 05:23 AM
Veteran member

go to Sumter Tire in Wildwood, NOT a dealer
Old 03-29-2024, 06:18 AM
Veteran member

I have a mechanics background from 50 years ago, not a mechanic, but went to school to be 1.
Not all dealerships are crooks from the service point of view. Salesman, you bet they are.

If you go into a service dept at any car repair shop and act dumb, like I hear a noise somewhere on the car, then you are vulnerable. If you state that a noise is coming from the left wheel bearing, then it will be harder to BS their way of making money off you.
Most newer cars need very little maintenance done for the 1st hundred thousand miles: oil changes, air filter, brake fluid change, transmission oil change, and a tuneup around 60,000. If driving a car with a rubber belt for the cam shafts instead of chain belt, then this is critical to change around 60,000 to 100,000 miles. Look in your owners manual to see the maintenance schedule for your car.
Old 03-29-2024, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Bought 4 new Genuine Honda sensors on-line from a Honda dealer (12-year-old car - just a matter of time before more sensors die).
They tested and found one bad sensor, but all the new ones were transmitting. Read them, but could not program the new sensor numbers into the Control Unit thru the OBD port.

Called 6 independent shops in the area. Three said - not us. Three said - DEALER.
Since bent over in Ocala, researched a Honda manual, says the programming is done with a ATEC VT65.
While this is not a Honda only item, it is quite expensive. Not worth it for most shops.

misc: on these genuine Honda sensors, the old sensor numbers cannot be cloned onto the new ones.
(too bad I didn't learn that earlier - aftermarket ones can) Thanks Honda. Then voila, no programming of the control unit.
Love the guys at Leesburg Tires Plus! They treat me fairly and don’t talk down to me because I’m a girl. They know I used to do my own repairs so no BS.
Old 03-29-2024, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G.R.I.T.S. View Post
Love the guys at Leesburg Tires Plus! They treat me fairly and don’t talk down to me because I’m a girl. They know I used to do my own repairs so no BS.
As someone else said, you don't need oem sensors. Buy aftermerket, they're just as good and a good tire dealer can install them. I recommend Sumpter Tire. They're great to deal with. No bs!
Old 03-29-2024, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlR33 View Post
You spent the 15% just driving there before even getting “bent over”. I would have asked Tire Plus if they had a generic TPM’s for your car. I just had four non Toyota put on my Prius at around $100 per wheel. You did not say the specific model but you might research this site or subscribe to a Honda forum such a this for your answers. For TPMS’s the only way you can save is by installing them yourself (YouTube videos) and have it programmed afterwards. I doubt you will ever want to break the seal on 4 tires for this savings. Sometimes it’s best to pay the piper for some stuff, IMO. Hope this helps
Drive Accord Honda Forums
I was having a problem with my TPMS idiot light illuminating for a while last year. I checked with Tire Plus for cost and it was, indeed, approximately $107 per unit/wheel (2011 Corolla). I went to Walmart over on 466 and dropped the vehicle off while my wife and I went to Arby's for a quick bite. I told the counter guy to change any defective sensors in pairs, i.e., if the right front was bad, then replace the left front as well. Before we could bite into our sandwich, my phone was ringing so we went back to Walmart. The result: one sender was in need of RE-programming and all were now functioning properly = NO idiot light and it has been that way for about 18 months. I would say that was honest behavior and believe it or not NO CHARGE - I couldn't believe it. At the time, they advertised TPMS unit replacement at, IIRC, $28.75/unit (or thereabouts). I will be returning there if in need of repairs - after receiving an estimate first, of course!

FredF
Old 03-29-2024, 08:18 AM
Default we're paying for cramming

reply to: "Not all dealerships are crooks from the service point of view. Salesman, you bet they are."

I went there with the service writer knowing specifically what I wanted. Nothing else. A 10--minute job by a mechanic. Could be done in the parking lot. (I know it is a 10-minute job, because I watched the guy at Tire Pros - even though unsuccessful.)
Ocala quote for the programming was about half of what they charge for diagnostics, but entire car diagnostics not necessary for this simple and quick job.

The $189 for the crammed-down-my-throat "diagnotics" is another 10-minute job, and then with a computer printout the service writer spends an hour telling you all the total $1000-$2000 items your car must have to make it home.
So you are paying the "salesman" for selling you service.
Service writers are salesmen also ! Probably commissioned.

No, I already paid to have OEM sensors put in my car. The originals have 12 years on them.
I talked to several shops before buying them.
Q: How long is the warranty on these aftermarket sensors?
ans: Varied from if it is dead, we'll replace it before you leave the shop.
I also heard 3-months.

Sounds like junk to me.

Last edited by bikerhiker; 03-29-2024 at 08:34 AM. Reason: clarity
Old 03-29-2024, 08:21 AM
Default Not all dealerships are bad

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsmurano View Post
I have a mechanics background from 50 years ago, not a mechanic, but went to school to be 1.
Not all dealerships are crooks from the service point of view. Salesman, you bet they are.

If you go into a service dept at any car repair shop and act dumb, like I hear a noise somewhere on the car, then you are vulnerable. If you state that a noise is coming from the left wheel bearing, then it will be harder to BS their way of making money off you.
Most newer cars need very little maintenance done for the 1st hundred thousand miles: oil changes, air filter, brake fluid change, transmission oil change, and a tuneup around 60,000. If driving a car with a rubber belt for the cam shafts instead of chain belt, then this is critical to change around 60,000 to 100,000 miles. Look in your owners manual to see the maintenance schedule for your car.
I took my 2020 Toyota RAV4 Hybrid to DeLuca Toyota for it's 60,000 service yesterday and was very pleased with the outcome. They rotated my tires, changed my oil with synthetic oil, checked my brakes and fluid (all okay) checked my alignment (okay) and did an all points check on the entire car from battery health to electronics, exhaust system, topped off my fluids and checked all my belts among other things. My air filters were still okay and they did not try to sell me anything I did not need. I did have a few coupons found on their site but I walked away with a bill of $89. They were on time, courteous and overall a very positive experience. I do admit all of the work done on my car has been done at a dealership so they had access to all past service history.
Old 03-29-2024, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Received my invitation in the mail to save on service. 15% off for Saturday service.

Got a verbal phone quote from 'service writer' and made an appointment, and mentioned my coupon.

When I got there, the reception "ticket writer" said sign here. I told her that is twice as much as guy on the phone told me, but I also noticed it was for "diagnostics" no mention of the single issue I went in for.

Oh, and by the way I told the original guy I had a 15% off coupon.
Received a smirk* - not worth the postcard it is written on.

Q. So will the diagnostics include fixing the problem?
ans: "No!"
Q. So how much more to fix the problem?
ans: "We can't tell you that until after the diagnostics."

So you want a blank check?
I walked in a huff. First and last trip there. Two gallons of gas, and three hours round-trip.
One strike and you are out ! Maybe my last Honda.

* smirk Non-verbal language translation:
"You are stupid, stupid, stupid."
from the movie Rain Man - Oscar for Dustin Hoffman, another award for Tom Cruise.
I went to the Chevy dealer in the villages to get a new thermostat in my 2012 Impala. $650. Yikes. They told me the same thing, that a diagnostic was required, which accounted for $176 of the price. That is my last time going to a dealership unless it's for warranty work on a brand new car. I should've probably went somewhere else but my car was overheating and they had a transportation service that picked me up and dropped me off. I also just moved here and don't know anybody who can give me a ride, so I was kind of stuck.

I always buy used vehicles so finding a good, competent mechanic for me is a priority. Once I find one, I am pretty loyal. I am going to take my car around to different shops for basic maintenance (oil changes) so I can assess them.

I will have to check some of the recommendations in this thread.
Old 03-29-2024, 09:21 AM

reply to: "I took my 2020 Toyota RAV4 Hybrid to DeLuca Toyota for it's 60,000 service yesterday . . . $89"

Yes, they earned your loyalty. Bet when you are ready for your next car (or service), DeLuca Toyota will be on the top of your list.

I'm miffed about Honda of Ocala. Do you really want to p-off your customers, and maybe long-term customers? Lie and cram.
Stupid is as stupid does.
Old 03-29-2024, 10:06 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by G.R.I.T.S. View Post
I didn’t know Mona Lisa Vito lived in TV!
Old 03-29-2024, 10:12 AM

Quote:

Try European Car Clinic in Ocala (352-629-5047). He works on all foreign cars. I have found him to be very honest.
Old 03-29-2024, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Switter View Post
I went to the Chevy dealer in the villages to get a new thermostat in my 2012 Impala. $650. Yikes. They told me the same thing, that a diagnostic was required, which accounted for $176 of the price. That is my last time going to a dealership unless it's for warranty work on a brand new car. I should've probably went somewhere else but my car was overheating and they had a transportation service that picked me up and dropped me off. I also just moved here and don't know anybody who can give me a ride, so I was kind of stuck.

I always buy used vehicles so finding a good, competent mechanic for me is a priority. Once I find one, I am pretty loyal. I am going to take my car around to different shops for basic maintenance (oil changes) so I can assess them.

I will have to check some of the recommendations in this thread.
By all means, find yourself a local shop for your Impala. The thermostat for your car cost around $12.97 The dealer charge for the diagnostic was $176.00.So you paid $650.00 and the cost of that thermostat with the labor came to $474.00 For the record next time go on line and use Partsgeek .com and check the prices for auto and truck parts.

Tags
service, told, diagnostics, stupid, ans

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.