An Honorable Game For Honorable People

Old 04-12-2024, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sully1 View Post
Are you sure you brought it with you.Did you leave it on the driving range.Did you clean it and leave it in you garage. Maybe you lost it last time you played and never realized it.Just saying!
It was in the bag when we got there and it wasn't when we went to get our carts. That Donkey head cover is pretty hard to miss!!
Old 04-12-2024, 08:28 AM
Default yes

yes true - in 1950
Old 04-12-2024, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shipping up to Boston View Post
Separate issues

Your first paragraph was spot on...in spirit.
The latter half of your post just shows you that underbelly of society is slowly creeping in (or was already here) in Florida’s friendliest hometown
Eagle Ridge is NOT in the Villages,
Old 04-12-2024, 10:14 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,684 Times in 1,514 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet View Post
I certainly hope that *** person who stole the club, doesn’t actually play golf. Shame on them!
Will probably sell it for a few bucks to buy drugs.
Old 04-12-2024, 10:18 AM
Sage

Quote:
Yes, you are right. It is still frustrating, but outside of the bubble there are more young people.
Yeah! Young people. Never trust anyone under 60!
Old 04-12-2024, 10:18 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camranhvet View Post
Eagle Ridge is NOT in the Villages,
See post #5 and #8. Understood
Old 04-12-2024, 01:35 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,911 Times in 1,529 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
I've been playing golf for 60 years and have always been proud of the fact that golf is a game of honor. Players keep their own score, write down an honest score (most of the time), call penalties on themselves when appropriate, etc. It's a game that polices itself. No umpires, no referees, no judges. Just your conscience.

Yet there apparently are some people in the game without honor and without conscience.

Last Saturday I and seven of my golf buds were at Eagle Ridge GC. Since the course was packed there were not enough carts available yet for us to load up. So the guy in charge said to leave our bags at the bag rack and as carts became available he'd get us from the practice green. While we were away from our bags some--what phrase shall I use--"low life" stole the driver from one of our players bag. It was a 10-year-old Callaway, but it was that guy's favorite driver. Plus the head cover--a gray donkey, of all things--had been a gift from his wife.

Not only were we shocked it had been stolen but the question was "What was the attraction--the driver, the head cover or just the fact that whoever took it could get away with it?

If the thief is a golfer, and if anybody knows who it is, I wouldn't trust him to police himself on the golf course--or anywhere else!
The same thing happens in tennis as players call the lines on their side of the court.
Old 04-12-2024, 01:36 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,040 Times in 1,753 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdpaq0580 View Post
Yeah! Young people. Never trust anyone under 60!
Lol! Not quite what I meant…
Old 04-12-2024, 05:17 PM
Sage

Quote:
Lol! Not quite what I meant…
Play along. Get yer giggles while ya can. When I was young my moto was "never trust anyone over 30".
🙃🫠😉
Old 04-13-2024, 08:22 AM
Default Golf

Quote:
I've been playing golf for 60 years and have always been proud of the fact that golf is a game of honor. Players keep their own score, write down an honest score (most of the time), call penalties on themselves when appropriate, etc. It's a game that polices itself. No umpires, no referees, no judges. Just your conscience.

Yet there apparently are some people in the game without honor and without conscience.

Last Saturday I and seven of my golf buds were at Eagle Ridge GC. Since the course was packed there were not enough carts available yet for us to load up. So the guy in charge said to leave our bags at the bag rack and as carts became available he'd get us from the practice green. While we were away from our bags some--what phrase shall I use--"low life" stole the driver from one of our players bag. It was a 10-year-old Callaway, but it was that guy's favorite driver. Plus the head cover--a gray donkey, of all things--had been a gift from his wife.

Not only were we shocked it had been stolen but the question was "What was the attraction--the driver, the head cover or just the fact that whoever took it could get away with it?

If the thief is a golfer, and if anybody knows who it is, I wouldn't trust him to police himself on the golf course--or anywhere else!
It is so honorable that 50 years ago I gave it up as it became a danger to every other golfer when I would play. That darn ball and sometimes the clubs had a mind of their own always doing/going anywhere by straight. Thank you!
Old 04-13-2024, 08:49 PM

No cameras? Seems like they're everywhere.
Old 04-13-2024, 09:58 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,109 Times in 2,761 Posts

Quote:

My sincere condolences for your golfing partner who had his club stolen. That being said, the lowlife scumbag that lifted the club very well might not even be a golfer, just a common thief looking to make a quick buck the unethical way. It’s not necessary to correlate a game of honor with some scumbag thief, sometimes bad $hit happens.

Tags
game, golf, driver, conscience, carts

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.