An Honorable Game For Honorable People

Old 04-11-2024, 10:08 AM
Default An Honorable Game For Honorable People

I've been playing golf for 60 years and have always been proud of the fact that golf is a game of honor. Players keep their own score, write down an honest score (most of the time), call penalties on themselves when appropriate, etc. It's a game that polices itself. No umpires, no referees, no judges. Just your conscience.

Yet there apparently are some people in the game without honor and without conscience.

Last Saturday I and seven of my golf buds were at Eagle Ridge GC. Since the course was packed there were not enough carts available yet for us to load up. So the guy in charge said to leave our bags at the bag rack and as carts became available he'd get us from the practice green. While we were away from our bags some--what phrase shall I use--"low life" stole the driver from one of our players bag. It was a 10-year-old Callaway, but it was that guy's favorite driver. Plus the head cover--a gray donkey, of all things--had been a gift from his wife.

Not only were we shocked it had been stolen but the question was "What was the attraction--the driver, the head cover or just the fact that whoever took it could get away with it?

If the thief is a golfer, and if anybody knows who it is, I wouldn't trust him to police himself on the golf course--or anywhere else!
Old 04-11-2024, 10:22 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
I've been playing golf for 60 years and have always been proud of the fact that golf is a game of honor. Players keep their own score, write down an honest score (most of the time), call penalties on themselves when appropriate, etc. It's a game that polices itself. No umpires, no referees, no judges. Just your conscience.

Yet there apparently are some people in the game without honor and without conscience.

Last Saturday I and seven of my golf buds were at Eagle Ridge GC. Since the course was packed there were not enough carts available yet for us to load up. So the guy in charge said to leave our bags at the bag rack and as carts became available he'd get us from the practice green. While we were away from our bags some--what phrase shall I use--"low life" stole the driver from one of our players bag. It was a 10-year-old Callaway, but it was that guy's favorite driver. Plus the head cover--a gray donkey, of all things--had been a gift from his wife.

Not only were we shocked it had been stolen but the question was "What was the attraction--the driver, the head cover or just the fact that whoever took it could get away with it?

If the thief is a golfer, and if anybody knows who it is, I wouldn't trust him to police himself on the golf course--or anywhere else!
Separate issues

Your first paragraph was spot on...in spirit.
The latter half of your post just shows you that underbelly of society is slowly creeping in (or was already here) in Florida’s friendliest hometown
Old 04-11-2024, 10:23 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,678 Times in 1,511 Posts

The donkey cover. Definitely.
Locks keep honorable people honorable.

Bye the way, If the guy in charge told you to put your bags in the rack, why wasn't he keeping an eye on them. Maybe he is the head of an international golf club theft ring.

Last edited by fdpaq0580; 04-11-2024 at 10:31 AM.
Old 04-11-2024, 10:27 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,036 Times in 1,751 Posts

I certainly hope that *** person who stole the club, doesn’t actually play golf. Shame on them!
Old 04-11-2024, 11:11 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,551 Times in 419 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shipping up to Boston View Post
Separate issues

The latter half of your post just shows you that underbelly of society is slowly creeping in (or was already here) in Florida’s friendliest hometown
While there are plenty of undesirables living in TV, the OP was not playing golf in TV.
Old 04-11-2024, 11:36 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,036 Times in 1,751 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by shut the front door View Post
While there are plenty of undesirables living in TV, the OP was not playing golf in TV.
Yes, you are right. It is still frustrating, but outside of the bubble there are more young people.
Old 04-11-2024, 11:40 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,370 Times in 2,398 Posts

Sometimes I just wonder…………
Old 04-11-2024, 12:17 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shut the front door View Post
I definitely missed that part....but thank you for reaffirming the other. Some won’t and others just live in denial that they’re insulated from it
Old 04-11-2024, 10:21 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,956 Times in 2,465 Posts

Why would leave golf bags unattended with all these prized possessions? I shoot pool and I NEVER leave my cues in cart when I go into store. I like keeping the thief’s working hard.
Old 04-11-2024, 10:24 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,956 Times in 2,465 Posts

Quote:
Separate issues

Where do think they all came from in Disneyland? Very few native Floridians around here
Old 04-12-2024, 05:56 AM

Are you sure you brought it with you.Did you leave it on the driving range.Did you clean it and leave it in you garage. Maybe you lost it last time you played and never realized it.Just saying!
Old 04-12-2024, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sully1 View Post
Are you sure you brought it with you.Did you leave it on the driving range.Did you clean it and leave it in you garage. Maybe you lost it last time you played and never realized it.Just saying!
I was wondering the very same thing even though it wasn’t the OP’s club that is missing. It’s his buddy’s club.

I’ve played many of the courses in this area and Eagle Ridge is one of my favorites. It’s in a 55+ community just like TV and is usually pretty packed with golfers because of the great conditions and reasonable prices.

It seems strange to me for someone to take a random club like that, especially when they couldn’t tell what it was with the unrelated headcover. They had to be targeting the headcover first because they couldn’t see what club was underneath it.

The area of the bag rack at Eagle Ridge is just outside of the pro shop, putting green and restaurant entrance. There are a vast number of carts parked in that area at almost all times. If someone was looking to steal a nice golf club they would have literally hundreds, if not thousands of choices.

I would be livid if a club of mine was ever stolen so I can relate to the OP and his buddy. It just doesn’t make much sense to me that someone would steal a club that they couldn’t identify if they were targeting the headcover. Why not just pull it off the club? It would be so much easier to conceal. Not to mention that there are always several people in this area milling around waiting to go play, practice or just BSing.

I sincerely hope that this fellow finds his driver and headcover somewhere very soon. I suggest starting with the lost and found inside the pro shop.
Old 04-12-2024, 07:34 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teemotay View Post
I was wondering the very same thing even though it wasn’t the OP’s club that is missing. It’s his buddy’s club.

I’ve played many of the courses in this area and Eagle Ridge is one of my favorites. It’s in a 55+ community just like TV and is usually pretty packed with golfers because of the great conditions and reasonable prices.

It seems strange to me for someone to take a random club like that, especially when they couldn’t tell what it was with the unrelated headcover. They had to be targeting the headcover first because they couldn’t see what club was underneath it.

The area of the bag rack at Eagle Ridge is just outside of the pro shop, putting green and restaurant entrance. There are a vast number of carts parked in that area at almost all times. If someone was looking to steal a nice golf club they would have literally hundreds, if not thousands of choices.

I would be livid if a club of mine was ever stolen so I can relate to the OP and his buddy. It just doesn’t make much sense to me that someone would steal a club that they couldn’t identify if they were targeting the headcover. Why not just pull it off the club? It would be so much easier to conceal. Not to mention that there are always several people in this area milling around waiting to go play, practice or just BSing.

I sincerely hope that this fellow finds his driver and headcover somewhere very soon. I suggest starting with the lost and found inside the pro shop.
Never played it. Are there any cameras in that area?
Old 04-12-2024, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Never played it. Are there any cameras in that area?
I don’t know the answer to your question but a quick call to the pro shop would get you the answer.

I believe the director of golf there is Dale.
Old 04-12-2024, 07:49 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teemotay View Post
I don’t know the answer to your question but a quick call to the pro shop would get you the answer.

I believe the director of golf there is Dale.
I'm not the OP but seems like good advice. Not too many places left that aren't using monitoring

Tags
game, golf, driver, conscience, carts

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.