Which teacher still stands out for you?

Closed Thread
Old 08-02-2021, 10:55 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,152 Times in 1,326 Posts
Default Which teacher still stands out for you?

I thought I'd start a thread that we could have some fun with....

I was lucky in that I had a few elementary teachers that also taught me something about life.

I recall my sixth grade math teacher, who was well over six feet saying "Class you're not listening to me, so I'm going to come down and speak with you at your level." Then he smiled and actually sat in the waste basket so that he was eye level with us...we all laughed, but his sense of humor grabbed our attention and we listened to him after that. Much later in life I learned that all communication actually occurs in the mind of the listener, and the importance of speaking in a manner that you will be heard....so, thank you Mr. Tobin for the early lesson on that.

I had a few teachers that ruled the classroom with an iron fist and looking back a few were just going through the motions year after year waiting to retire...but my 7th grade English Lit teacher still stands out the most among them all....She was perhaps 5' 2", auburn hair and, yes eyes of blue.

Most of us boys were taller than Mrs. Kane, yet you sat in fear last period on Monday afternoon if over the weekend you hadn't prepared to recite the poem from memory that she had assigned on Friday .

Even though I was a boy scout and my motto was 'be prepared', it was Mrs. Kane that actually taught me what being prepared meant, as well as the consequences of not being prepared.

When Mrs. Kane called your name, there was never any doubt that you immediately rose from your seat and stood tall and straight beside your desk waiting to hear the words, "You may begin".

If you knew the poem, she smiled and nodded her head encouraging you as she sat at the front of the room, if you attempted to recite the poem, but stumbled, she would prompt you. If you stood in silence looking down at your feet, she waited for what felt like an eternity before you were totally dismissed when she asked a fellow student to stand up.

Her message was clear, she didn't need to say "sit down"...you were embarrassed enough...and a complete fool if you weren't prepared the following week...

Sixty plus years later I can still recite parts of 'Trees', 'Flanders Fields' and 'The Road Not Taken'.

I still remember how sad I felt the day she returned to class after having buried her twenty-something son, he died in her garage when his car fell off a jack and crushed him...she wore black that day.
Old 08-02-2021, 11:11 AM
Veteran member

Mr Carosella , History, wore a three piece suit, immaculately dressed always,, he would point at the blackboard "read that" test at the end of the week" he would then hop up on his desk, sit, light a cigar, and lecture on wasn't in the books we were given
Old 08-02-2021, 11:28 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,480 Times in 550 Posts

Eighth grade English teacher, Mrs. Toopes. I learned how to diagram a sentence and in the process, the difference between adverbs and adjectives, and her expectations were very high. She never raised her voice, but you knew to meet her expectations or she would be disappointed.
Old 08-02-2021, 11:28 AM
Soaring Parsley
Thanked 2,229 Times in 757 Posts

My first grade teacher Miss Smith quietly let me know that I was not the center of the universe.

I had been reigning as quite the little “genius princess” for the first 5 years of my life when everything I did was met with oooooo’s and ahhhhhh’s.

Surprisingly, I caught on fast to the lesson I got from Miss Smith and adjusted my self-important attitude accordingly.

Thank you, Miss Smith.

Boomer
Old 08-02-2021, 11:42 AM

7th grade English, Mr. Disbro. In his early 30's, let me write a book report on growing marijuana. I now know that he was smart enough to know the point was to get me to write. I got an A on it and my mom still has it.

9th grade Band, Mr. White. He knew I didn't want to be in band and after not having been in class for a couple of weeks he caught me in the hallway. After talking about why, he made a deal with me that if I stayed out of trouble, he'd give me straight C's. I really appreciated his compassion.
Old 08-02-2021, 11:59 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,142 Times in 301 Posts

My drill sergeant (DS Pain Maker). He taught me how to stay alive.
Old 08-02-2021, 12:02 PM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,667 Times in 1,779 Posts

There are too many to list, very dedicated, compassionate and talented teachers. Probably a dean at law school is at the top of my list.

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Old 08-02-2021, 12:06 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,365 Times in 2,083 Posts

Got 4 degrees from five schools in five states. It is hard to pick one. Maybe the lawyers who ran Legal Assistance to Minnesota Prisoners at the U of MN Law School.

The English teacher Mrs. Barbara Mitchell had a profound effect on me at Earl Wooster High School in Reno, Nevada but a lot of that is because of events from February 24, 1976 onward to even after she passed away.
Old 08-02-2021, 01:14 PM
John41

My high school geometry teacher.
Old 08-02-2021, 01:23 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,319 Times in 828 Posts

My 8th grade science teacher. Dragged me by my ears and locked me in the stockroom because I scribbled all over the student's test next to because he was cheating off my paper. Of course teach only seen me doing the scribble part and never asked why. But one week latter justice was served. Teach was arrested for robbing a bank and never returned to teach again.
Old 08-02-2021, 01:40 PM
Sage
Thanked 7,533 Times in 2,583 Posts

My mother loved Mrs. Durrant at my school, because she remarked how white my shirts washed up, and my shoes were always clean!
Sort of counteracted the fact I was a total PITA, and bunked off school as much as I could.

Lesson I learned for rest of my years.
You can conquer the world with clean shoes, and a well laundered shirt!
Old 08-02-2021, 02:12 PM

Mitch Miller's sister. Four feet 10, fingernail inspections, chasing students around room waving a yardstick!
Old 08-03-2021, 05:21 AM
Default The best teacher I ever had..

Mrs. Kingsley,

Advanced writing English class, senior year of high school in Lorain, Ohio. Her husband was a physician in town, but she was originally from New York. She had Kirk Douglas in drama club in high school, and he was a terror in that high school! Five feet tall, her hair in a bun, and always in a suit and heels. She inspired me to be a teacher....finished college in 3 and a half years, and taught French in Ohio from Jan, 1972 to May, 2013...and moved to the Villages ....

Thank you Mrs. Kingsley!
Old 08-03-2021, 05:26 AM
Default Mrs. Sullivan

Roosevelt and Web in the mid to late 70's....

She believed in everyone.
Old 08-03-2021, 05:37 AM

My High School Band Director, a few Quotes that pertained to both music and life in general: "Is it close enough for....Jazz" (meaning, it does not have to be perfect in order to sound great and cause your audience to enjoy.) "When you entertain, it only has to be about 85% musical skill and 15% showmanship. In fact, if you leave out showmanship and are 100% musical skill....no one will want to see/hear you. The 15% showmanship's value can not be underestimated or ignored". (seems this same principle is important in life as well) Example: Ever visited the world's best/smartest Doctor, yet he/she has terrible with their bedside manner? In summary, how you do is, but not to the same extent, of what you do. But, don't do one without the other.
Closed Thread

Tags
prepared, kane, mrs, sat, teacher

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.