Anybody familiar with Pawleys Island, SC?

Closed Thread
Old 05-12-2018, 05:24 PM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,624 Times in 1,765 Posts
Default Anybody familiar with Pawleys Island, SC?

Close friends of mine moved to the Kona area on the western side of Hawaii, the big island, two years ago and have concluded for several reasons it is not for them - well before Kilauea started flexing its muscles on the eastern side of the island near Hilo.

Anyway, they have for some months been looking for a place to move and discovered Pawleys Island. He is an expert sailor and they both love being near salt water. While they find the whole Myrtle Beach area attractive they are especially drawn to Pawleys Island, in particular Heritage Plantation.

Has anyone lived in the Myrtle Beach area for any length or time or is anyone very familiar with it?

Both pros and cons are welcome.

Does the Waccamaw River flood?

Is the island Hurricane prone?

Thank you for your responses in advance.

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine

Last edited by manaboutown; 05-12-2018 at 07:39 PM.
Old 05-12-2018, 05:37 PM

My wife and I visited Myrtle Beach and stayed in condos on a golf course in a place called Pawley's Plantation. It was excellent there. however we were very disappointed when we actually went to Myrtle Beach I think what played into it, it was a biker week. The bikers were those that ride the Suzuki style motorcycle where they sit very forward and make plenty of noise. Last year we spent a week at Hilton Head and it was much better. That's probably not a lot of information but it was our experience. Years back I had family who were avid golfers, they loved Myrtle Beach.

I don't think you can go wrong with Pawley's Island but I'm far from an expert.
Old 05-12-2018, 05:40 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephenm52 View Post
My wife and I visited Myrtle Beach and stayed in condos on a golf course in a place called Pawley's Plantation. It was excellent there. however we were very disappointed when we actually went to Myrtle Beach I think what played into it, it was a biker week. The bikers were those that ride the Suzuki style motorcycle where they sit very forward and make plenty of noise. Last year we spent a week at Hilton Head and it was much better. That's probably not a lot of information but it was our experience. Years back I had family who were avid golfers, they loved Myrtle Beach.
Thank you! That is a start. These are lifelong Californians and while they have spent a little time on the Atlantic coast they really do not know it or understand very well.

They literally cannot believe how low the real estate taxes are in that area. They are in their mid sixties. Their adult children are in their thirties now so schools are not an issue.

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Old 05-12-2018, 05:52 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Myrtle Beach has a reputation of Redneck Rivera as compared to Hilton Head. I love both. I have not lived on Pawleys Island and cannot answer your specific questions. I do like the island and Pawlleys Island Hammocks are the best.
Old 05-12-2018, 07:05 PM
Sage

Thank you for that info, perrjojo. I spent a couple weeks on Hilton Head fairly recently and very much enjoyed its ambiance.

As for Myrtle Beach, I was only there a couple times in 1965 while I was in the US Army stationed at Ft. Jackson, SC. I doubt I would recognize it today. lol

My friends' research indicates the Myrtle Beach area has 60 miles of nice beach which appeals to them. They both swim in the ocean off HI almost daily.

Old 05-12-2018, 08:15 PM
Veteran member
Location: The Villages - Formerly Atlanta Endicott and Syracuse NY

The greater Myrtle Beach area and Hilton head couldn't be much different. Not being a golfer, I found Hilton Head boring, with a shortage of restaurants and corresponding long lines and waits. The island seemed to shut down around 9. The entire coastline of Myrtle is prone to tropical storms.. here are a few links regarding pauley island in 2017:

Pawleys Island seeing significant road flooding before high tide - WMBFNews.com, Myrtle Beach/Florence SC, Weather
Pawleys Island residents hold out hope for power as they brace for more flooding | WPDE

Unlike the Villages you;re on the coast and you pay your money and take your chances. I spend at least one week in Myrtle during the summer at an ocean front condo. Any new structures have to be built on stilts to minimize flood damage, Property taxes are significantly less for permanent residents vs those that have second homes there ..

There are two bikers weeks that I know of.. one around memorial day .. not sure when the other is .. Given a choice, you don;t want to be there during them.. or certainly not near the section of town where many stay .. I've spoken to restaurant servers there .. They hate Biker weeks as the restaurants are filled but they claim the tips are horrendous .

There are folks I know that think the Villages is too far "north" to experience a nice warm winter... Do the math onhow much further north pauley;s or Myrtle is.. and look at the December to March temperature ranges to see if that fits your expectations and requirements ..

The ocean is great during the summer.. you probably can go in 4 .. maybe 5 months of the year
Old 05-12-2018, 08:27 PM
Sage

Thanks valuemkt. PI seems to be a barrier island so it gets a pounding now and then. Other friends of mine had a place on Galveston Island which was hit by Ike in 2008. What a mess it was for them. I have spent a lot of time on Ocracoke Island. No house has lasted there over time as one can tell by looking at old aerial photographs.

This inquiry is not for me. Inland is far safer IMO.

Old 05-12-2018, 09:51 PM
Sage

Hurricane Ike In Galveston Texas (Sept 2008) - YouTube

Old 05-13-2018, 04:46 AM
Gold member

Hilton Head and Myrtle Beach could not be more different. A walk or bike ride on each beach area tells the story for me with large condos abutting MB but on HHI. Except for a few hotels, not many structures lmore than 4-5 stories line the beach with many private homes. While both places can be a little crowded during the summer, it dwindles off around mid August as kids go back to school. The Grand Strand traffic at MB is a complete nightmare. Sun City Hilton Head is short 20 minute ride to HHI and has residents all year long as population dwindles sharply about 9 months of the year. Jimmy Buffet is also building an over 55 Community a short distance from Sun City. HHI is a treasure I also like Myrtle Beach. A visit to both areas is highly recommended before any purchase, you will see the difference right away particularly with the Landscaping the 60 miles of bike paths and a few large Marinas at Skull Creek, Shelter Cove. For an active older couple I would choose HHI over MB any day of the week. I am a little prejudice as we own property on HHI and have been going there for over 30 years. Although we did get hit two years ago, hurricane history is excellent.Hurricanes seem to bypass HHI and head up to Wilmington NC. I have two condos at or near the beach and I had zero damage although the island did suffer some damage.

Last edited by villagerjack; 05-13-2018 at 08:14 AM.
Old 05-13-2018, 06:11 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by manaboutown View Post
I was staying in the San Luis Resort, not long before Ike hit.

Even with a great view, no way would I try to ride a hurricane out from there...lol
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	San Luis Resort - Galveston.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	69.6 KB
ID:	75044  
Old 05-13-2018, 07:40 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

Have a place in St James Plantation, NC. Near barrier island. First week of ownership hurricane knocked on the door. In two years there has been 4 hurricanes, and multiple storms.

House is built on stilts, and multiple ponds and a golf course, for water run off. While not in SC, storms are about the same.

If you are a worrier, barrier island life is not for you. We look at it as good insurance will take care of things. And nobody loves the kitchen.
Old 05-13-2018, 07:49 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,043 Times in 369 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephenm52 View Post

I don't think you can go wrong with Pawley's Island but I'm far from an expert.
Judging the area while visiting during any one of three bike events is extremely unfair and inaccurate.
Old 05-13-2018, 08:15 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,043 Times in 369 Posts

There is alot of misinformation in some of the previous posts. I lived in North Myrtle and Little River for almost 12 years so I won't pretend to know Pawleys Island, but I am very familiar with the Grand Strand over all. Trying to compare Pawleys Island to Myrtle Beach is ridiculous. MB is all tourist and beach and attractions, all the time. South of MB from Murrells Inlet through Litchfield to Pawleys Island is much more laid back, low country living. There are quaint shops and eateries, and many very upscale neighborhoods. Traffic??? Yes, it's usually heavy because there is only one road, Highway 17.
Sailing ??? I'm not sure about. I'm not aware of any marinas south of Murrells Inlet, but you can access the ocean there, or in Litchfield. A person could spend a lifetime enjoying the laid back atmosphere and southern lifestyle in Pawleys Island and never have to go up to Myrtle Beach for anything. I suggest renting a condo or house for a minimum of a month, hopefully longer. August and September would be good. You can experience the low country heat and humidity, the busier month of August, and quieter month of September (with the exception of golfers).
Old 05-13-2018, 09:17 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagboy View Post
There is alot of misinformation in some of the previous posts. I lived in North Myrtle and Little River for almost 12 years so I won't pretend to know Pawleys Island, but I am very familiar with the Grand Strand over all. Trying to compare Pawleys Island to Myrtle Beach is ridiculous. MB is all tourist and beach and attractions, all the time. South of MB from Murrells Inlet through Litchfield to Pawleys Island is much more laid back, low country living. There are quaint shops and eateries, and many very upscale neighborhoods. Traffic??? Yes, it's usually heavy because there is only one road, Highway 17.
Sailing ??? I'm not sure about. I'm not aware of any marinas south of Murrells Inlet, but you can access the ocean there, or in Litchfield. A person could spend a lifetime enjoying the laid back atmosphere and southern lifestyle in Pawleys Island and never have to go up to Myrtle Beach for anything. I suggest renting a condo or house for a minimum of a month, hopefully longer. August and September would be good. You can experience the low country heat and humidity, the busier month of August, and quieter month of September (with the exception of golfers).
Thank you!

From what you wrote it seems PI or another similarly quiet area outside MB would be the way to go. They are truly tired of living amongst tourists, especially the hard partying kind.

They resided in a 55 and over community in Southern California for nine years just prior to moving to HI, enjoying the relative peacefulness of that community. Since they have traveled the world, literally, they are familiar with spending time in hot, humid climates. Where they live now in HI it is hot and humid at times but then the Trade Winds kick in. Being in a coastal community is important to them. I agree they should rent for a couple months at least which I imagine they want to do.

Old 05-13-2018, 09:21 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by asianthree View Post
Have a place in St James Plantation, NC. Near barrier island. First week of ownership hurricane knocked on the door. In two years there has been 4 hurricanes, and multiple storms.

House is built on stilts, and multiple ponds and a golf course, for water run off. While not in SC, storms are about the same.

If you are a worrier, barrier island life is not for you. We look at it as good insurance will take care of things. And nobody loves the kitchen.
To me it is a sooner or later situation. They want to live on or very near the coast so...

Closed Thread

Tags
island, pawleys, beach, area, attractive

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.