How long should AC compressor last?

Closed Thread
Old 05-05-2018, 06:35 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by biker1 View Post
Sigh... You don't know what system the OP has and whether it requires going into a service menu (as does my 4 year old Carrier system), as I already stated. One more time, a properly functioning (and sized) system should still meet the temperature set point regardless of whether humidistat functionality is enabled (assuming it is even supported).
Double sigh, you don't know what system he has either...yet you're telling him to spend money on a service call.

To the OP, if yours looks like this and is not all the way to 'ON'...I suggest you give it a try.

Minimal "fiddling" required.

If not, I recommend calling...

Chuck Farrell

352-753-9497

Good luck.
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	Fiddling.JPG
Views:	148
Size:	91.7 KB
ID:	74983  
Old 05-05-2018, 07:37 PM
Sage

Yes, he should spend money on a service call as I guess he hasn't had the system looked at in some time. Periodic maintenance, even if the system appears to be running OK (which his isn't), is a no brainer. See post #3.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdNoMore View Post
Double sigh, you don't know what system he has either...yet you're telling him to spend money on a service call.

To the OP, if yours looks like this and is not all the way to 'ON'...I suggest you give it a try.

Minimal "fiddling" required.

If not, I recommend calling...

Chuck Farrell

352-753-9497

Good luck.

Last edited by biker1; 05-05-2018 at 07:43 PM.
Old 05-05-2018, 08:12 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:
Yes, he should spend money on a service call as I guess he hasn't had the system looked at in some time. Periodic maintenance, even if the system appears to be running OK (which his isn't), is a no brainer. See post #3.
Old 05-05-2018, 08:15 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,717 Times in 5,245 Posts

Quote:
I agree. But, for others, in my opinion, you should leave the humidity control turned off, especially if you live in the house full time. The humidity feature will overcool your house on high humidity days, but it will really not do a good job to control the humidity. To do that, you need a real dehumidifier.
Old 05-06-2018, 06:18 AM
Sage

Yes, I agree with that. Unless the system has a variable speed air handler (and therefore reduces the fan speed so air is in contact with the evaporator coil for a longer period of time when the system is calling for dehumidification) and a multispeed compressor, the ability to control the humidity is somewhat limited. This is one area where The Villages could have done a better job in specifying the HVAC for the homes. For example, the incremental costs for a Carrier Infinity system with the two above features is not that much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
I agree. But, for others, in my opinion, you should leave the humidity control turned off, especially if you live in the house full time. The humidity feature will overcool your house on high humidity days, but it will really not do a good job to control the humidity. To do that, you need a real dehumidifier.
Old 05-06-2018, 08:30 AM

There is a capacitor that craps out every few years. Service call and part should be about $120.
Old 05-06-2018, 08:36 AM
Default Your question is non-answerable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henryk View Post
How long should the compressor last on a AC system?

My home almost never gets to the temperature that I set although (oddly) it doesn’t run constantly either.

The problem presents especially on hot days—no surprise.

The room temperature on the thermostat agrees with two other thermometers.

If it matters, 3/2 courtyard villa. Sun-facing windows have blinds and lanai has awning.

If I have to replace the compressor, what is a reasonable pirice?

TIA.
I think as others have said, you need a prof service company.
Your AC is sized to be able to alter the inside temperature compared to outside temperature, So fore example if it is over say 100 it likely cannot drop the temperature inside to 70.
If, your system is not working as well as it used to there are many possible causes. They could be as simple as replacing the filter, ducts that have separated to someone in your home having shut off AC outlets. Even plants that have been allowed to get too large or grow too close to your AC compressor can not only decrease efficiency but increase wear on your AC system.
As to the life of the compressor, like so many other things it is average life. As others have posted, it is about ten years.
Old 05-06-2018, 08:49 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

During a regular checkup last year our company told us that we needed an entire new unit, that we had multiple leaks. It was going to run around $12,000.

We wanted a second opinion so we had Chuck to check our system. No leaks found everything was sound. The charge was zero . We are now using Chuck for all of our homes. it’s a trustworthy company give them a call
Old 05-06-2018, 08:54 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henryk View Post
My home almost never gets to the temperature that I set although (oddly) it doesn’t run constantly either.
It could be something as simple as your thermostat is broken (even though it is displaying the correct room temp) and is not calling for cooling when it should. That would explain why your compressor doesn't run constantly.

We had the symptoms you describe, not enough cooling but compressor not continuously running. It turned out to be a failing capacitor. Sometime the compressor would start and but most of the time it wouldn't but would overheat and automatically shutdown for a while... so to us it appeared it was not running all the time.

In any case you will need a AC company to take a look and if you don't have a service contract with them they will probably charge you a service call at a minimum.
Old 05-06-2018, 09:01 AM
Sage
Thanked 6,151 Times in 2,249 Posts

OP, have you checked and changed the air filter? Had Sunshine out during the freeze this last winter when i noticed the aux heat coming on. The tech took some readings and then said he needed to check the air filter, it was clogged, I had forgotten to change it out (every 6 months). i had a new one on hand, changed out and all was fine. The filter was dirty enough to reduce the air flow.
Hope this helps.
Old 05-06-2018, 09:19 AM
Sage

If you have a newer system that uses the 4-inch thick filters, a good place to buy them is ACE Hardware. They cost $15 and are made by a company named Flanders. I have purchased filters from Home Depot and Lowes that did not fit. Munns charges $50 for a filter.
Old 05-06-2018, 03:51 PM
Sage

Assuming you have a Carrier system, you can buy the exact fitting OEM 4" media filters for about $30 on-line.

Quote:
If you have a newer system that uses the 4-inch thick filters, a good place to buy them is ACE Hardware. They cost $15 and are made by a company named Flanders. I have purchased filters from Home Depot and Lowes that did not fit. Munns charges $50 for a filter.
Old 05-06-2018, 03:54 PM
Sage

Most of the systems have ECM motors which are programmed to a specific CFM. They will "ramp up" as the filter becomes loaded to provide the same CFM, up to a point. I find that changing my 4" media filters once per year is sufficient.

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagetinker View Post
OP, have you checked and changed the air filter? Had Sunshine out during the freeze this last winter when i noticed the aux heat coming on. The tech took some readings and then said he needed to check the air filter, it was clogged, I had forgotten to change it out (every 6 months). i had a new one on hand, changed out and all was fine. The filter was dirty enough to reduce the air flow.
Hope this helps.
Old 05-06-2018, 04:38 PM
Sage

Quote:
Which ACE hardware? I went to Wildwood ACE and bought a 19x20x4 filter for $29.95 - a very competitive price. Where can I get the same filter for half that?
Old 05-06-2018, 05:17 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by champion6 View Post
Which ACE hardware? I went to Wildwood ACE and bought a 19x20x4 filter for $29.95 - a very competitive price. Where can I get the same filter for half that?
I bought a 16 x 20 x 4 inch filter at the Wildwood Ace Hardware about 2 weeks ago and it cost $15. The name brand was Flanders. I don't know the price for a larger one, but I know they sell them and it seems like it shouldn't cost twice as much. They also sell them at the Lady Lake ACE. The Filtrete filters are going to cost more, but I don't think they are any better.
Closed Thread

Tags
compressor, temperature, long, windows, courtyard

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.